Friday 20 July 2012

Friday Feast - Quick Spicy Chicken

This recipe was published in the Daily Mail, ten and a half years ago, and I only just tried it out last week. It's a Celebrity Recipe, one given by John Stapleton, who rightly said 'The best thing about this dish is that everyone thinks you have slaved for hours over it, yet it only takes moments to prepare':
Quick Spicy Chicken

Serves 6

6 chicken breasts or 16 thighs (depending on their size)
15 fl oz/450 thick single cream (alternatively use half yoghurt/half cream for a healthier option)
6 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
6 tbsp mushroom ketchup *** See below
1 rounded dessertspoon Dijon or mild mustard
8oz/240g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (optional)

Lightly oil a baking dish, and arrange the chicken in it. Brush with oil and season. Cook in a hot oven - 200C/400f/gas mark 6 - for 20 minutes until nearly cooked.

Meanwhile, mix together the cream, sauces and mustard in a bowl, pour over the almost cooked chicken and add the mushrooms.

Cook gently for a further 20 minutes.

Try serving with mashed potatoes and a green salad.

Things I do: Firstly, I have to admit that the photo doesn't look overly appetising :( But typing this I can almost smell the dish - and it's one to be made again really soon. As I was cooking for the two of us, I just used two chicken breasts and reduced the sauce and mushrooms by a third. To be truthful, both cooking stages said to cook the chicken for up to 30 minutes, and this was far too long. Thankfully the chicken didn't end up as tough as a road runner, but that could have happened. Also, I have absolutely no idea how you'd divide 16 chicken thighs equally between six people - but that's what the recipe says. In fact, next time I might try chicken thighs - perhaps three each?

And, I just couldn't get my head around mashed potato and salad together so I made mashed potato and peas to go with this.

*** Mushroom Ketchup isn't always the easiest thing to find in a supermarket, it's a bit like a cross between Worcestershire Sauce and Soy Sauce, and the same consistency. I generally find it in Sainsburys Supermarket, where the 'speciality groceries/ bottles and jars' are. A little bit in a stew or casserole just gives it a bit of zing so the bottle wouldn't go to waste :)

And, despite the things I've highlighted, it's really worth a try. Enjoy!

Di
x

10 comments:

  1. Sounds really yummy Di but what is mushroom ketchup? Not something I've heard of.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful, must admit I had never heard of mushroom ketchup so had to look it up lol. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Annie . . . I have NEVER heard of Mushroom Ketchup!

    Now I'm going to HAVE to look for it!!!!

    Sounds an interesting recipe.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good but I've never heard of mushroom ketchup either, which also sounds like a really interesting and handy thing to have around.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Di, l have to agree with the above l have never heard of Mushroom Ketchup either but it sounds delicious and the dish looks yummmy l'm being taken out for tea tonight so l will be taking the recipe and adding it to my collection thanks again for another tasty looking dish:)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really look forward to your recipes every week Di, I have made several of them up and all have been enjoyed by the family. This is another I will try, but it will be when DS is not here for dinner. he flatly refuses to eat mushrooms. Will try anything else and usually likes most things, but is adamant that humans are not supposed to eat fungus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmn! Want to try this one.
    For those of you have never tried Mushroom Ketchup you are in for a real treat. It is an essential item in our house! Stews, casseroles. Love it. Waitrose has it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di, this is definitely a recipe I'm going to try ... just as soon as I track down mushroom ketchup - fortunately we do have a Sainsbury's in the area. I think I'd serve it up with either rice or couscous and maybe sweetcorn ... definitely no salad! Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never find the mushroom ketchup, cos I wouldn't look for it, guess what, I don't like mushrooms. But I suppose you could omit it. I do like Worstershire sauce though.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy, & we're always looking for good chicken recipes. Never heard of the mushroom ketchup though. Is this just a Brit product,or have you heard if the USA has it? Will have to chk some of our specialty shops when I'm out again. TFS. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.