Sunday 21 October 2012

Pixies Crafty Snippets Week 43

First of all - it's Rudolph Day on Thursday over at Sarn's blog! Don't say you haven't been warned, I remembered when I was making this week's snippets card so will be making at least one more, hopefully three, so I can join in the fun and frolics. So this is a 'Non-Rudolph Day' card as I'm a bit too early:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card stock

- Santa image cropped from one of last year's Christmas cards - I just found a load more in a box to use up :)

- backing paper is by Magnolia from their 12" square 'Sweet Christmas Dreams' range, called 'Sweet Green Poinsettia'

- all red card came from the snippets folder. One piece used to back the image (cut using the 'deckle' blade on my Woodware trimmer and another piece to make the poinsettia. Bad Helen and Sam for showing me this lovely die - it's by Tim Holtz and is called Tattered Poinsettia, it's absolutely gorgeous and as with all TH dies it cuts so well - edges tickled with Cardinal Red Pro Marker and fastened using a topaz gem brad

- a snippet of dark green organza ribbon

Onto the roll call now - in between getting up and walking round to keep the back happy.

Laura arrived in the Playground, with a really sweet 'Boofles' Birthday card - who doesn't love Boofles, so cute! Love the colours you used Laura and the little hill you cut works so well too. Laura has just helped to raise £100 by selling some of her cards in the hospital where she works, well done Laura!

Then, Elizabeth hopped in - firstly with such a pretty butterfly card and a lovely post saying how wonderful crafty bloggers are, so very true! It's a gorgeous card Elizabeth and I love how you did the background using Distress Inks and Twinkling H2O's - I pressed my nose up against the screen trying to read the magazine you linked to and am still utterly in the dark so maybe you can do a future post explaining how? I long to be able to do a decent sunset background for example. And then Elizabeth  returned for a second time with a great Christmas card using embossing and polka dot paper- I have lots of Christmas polka dot paper here that I struggle with and this is real inspiration - so thank you! And finally, a truly beautiful card, using several techniques so cleverly which you really have to go and see to appreciate the end result. Really gorgeous Elizabeth and I love the rich blues so much.

Darnell was next to come and play, with her 'Snippert' (sic) card - and it's sure to make you giggle. I love it loads and the expression on Iggy's little face is adorable :) And, it's a year since Darnell began blogging - even though she's such a pro (professional!!) that it's hard to believe. And, yet another 'and' which must be grammatically incorrect but hey - Darnell was chosen as September's Less Is More winner of the month/pin-up gal for dedication to LIM and a lot of superb work. Well done hun!

Brenda has been a bit quiet lately but she hopped in last week waving THE MOST ADORABLE Christmas card, and if this doesn't win over at Penny Black then I'll eat my sun hat with salad cream on!! It's pink, yay, has the most cute image and is just perfect in my eyes. Do go and see what I mean - I genuinely kept going back to peek again as it's just such a pretty card (right down to the tiny candy canes in the backing paper) and so beautifully designed and made. I love it Brenda :)

Next was Jules, ever so busy as usual with Wedding stationery and her monthly and so-inspiring articles in Quick Cards Made Easy magazine but happily still finding time to come and play. This week Jules brought us a fabulous contemporary Christmas card - complete with funky Christmas trees, some very clever paper piecing and even stitching along the snowy hills. Beautiful Jules!

Sarn brought two adorable little birdie cards - showing how great the same stamp can look when used with totally different colours, so different and both delightful cards. One is rich and bold and the other soft and gentle - and both are really lovely. As always, so beautifully stamped too Sarn. There's something about SU stamps, they always give such a lovely detailed image and this is a fabulous example - obviously you have just the right touch when inking and stamping.

Next was Mary H, and we had two visits this week :) Firstly with the most fabulous Christmas card - I wish I could ink up skies as well and the trees look perfect with the snowy effect, plus the snowflake is such a lovely finishing touch Mary. Then, for her next go on the swings Mary brought us a stunning Autumn card - just look at the glorious colouring on the cornucopia! Plus, there's a great tip for keeping the thickness of cards down - even when you layer them - go and see!

Sally was next - with an adorable baby card, such a cute image and I love the colours. Also, news of a much-deserved DT position with Craft a Scene (well done Sally!) AND some wildlife for the Playground. Only a whopping big giraffe!! I had the vapours at first but as I adore giraffes he's staying on one condition - he has to be called Henry please Sally?!

The reason is that for a 'big Birthday' Len took me on a VIP day out to Longleat Safari Park which was fabulous. The highlight was a drive through the safari park off-road with a Park Ranger and he took us really close to the giraffes. Their newest arrival was called Henry and, being a baby, he was really curious and came right up to the Land Rover - the Ranger quietly slid a window open and told me to gently just put my hand through the window. And Henry pressed his nose into the palm of my hand and then let me gently stroke his muzzle :) Totally awesome experience and not only that, apart from Longleat staff that was the first time another human being had petted him - aw :)  So, he has to be a Henry!!

Next was Hettie - full of her usual bounce - but you have to meet her in person to know what a little bundle of energy she is. Hettie (aka Sam) brought a terrific mini-album about the arrival of her 'chooks' to show and it's gorgeous. I was lucky enough to see the Christmas 2012 album she's working on at the WOYWW crop last Saturday and it's also a stunner - so I just bet this chooks album is equally as gorgeous in real life Sam. Had to laugh though at poor Simon 'modelling' the hen-house :) And, a last minute vault over the gate as I was about to close it by Sam meant a second visit bringing a fabulous handful of Christmas cards - they're all lovely Sam and amazing that you can make cards, chat and drink wine at the same time!

OK, so this WOYWW crop - THIS is what Sam brought for the Playground:
Paint charts for the tree house, a little collapsible tray for snippets and some Piglet plasters for the First Aid box (ha, only 'cos Piglet isn't her favourite character!!).
You can tell I'm favouring the pinks, blues and lilacs - Len caught me poring over the colours earlier and when I explained they were for the tree house he just shook his head sadly as he wandered away muttering something about the lines becoming 'very blurred' and I 'ought to get out more' :( Sigh.

Irene was next, with one of her really elegant cards, clean and crisp and perfect for a chap! I think this is the same set that Sam brought to the crop for me to try out......needless to say I didn't get round to it, far too much else going on :( Anyhow, I adore the 'bubbles' embossed background and the perfect placing of those nautical images - a super card Irene.

Sandra H was a little bit later this week, she's often rattling the play ground gates on a Sunday morning. But, just look at the beautiful Wedding card Sandra brought to show - all peachy shades, a lovely image and those pearls along the bottom of the card are absolutely fabulous Sandra. I bet this was a real hit with the happy couple!

Next came Bernie - and what a feast for the eyes she brought to show! A host of goodies made for a forthcoming craft fayre - I love them all and there are some wonderful ideas for those of you making stuff for Christmas craft fayres. My favourites are the 'tea light lollipops' and the weather forecaster braid totally cracked me up. Gonna have to make one of those if I can find some wool - a perfect stocking filler for Len :) Thanks for showing us Bernie and good luck on the big day!

Mary Mac was next, and this week she brought us such a clever idea - to see her Christmas card with a difference just hop right over. A great way to use up snippets and so striking Mary - love the tree and I bet it would stand out above most on a Christmas mantle! And it's one I'd love to CASE please? Oh, and Mary wondered if I ever sleep - well, on Friday I trotted off to bed early to lie flat and rest my back rather than curl up on a sofa, started to read a Kindle book and was fast asleep by about 8pm and didn't stir for another ten and a half hours! Very unusual for me but I did feel a lot better for it!

Next was Tammy, and her life has been busy so it was a flying visit. But, I had a much-needed chuckle over the terrific card Tammy brought to show.....and our Henry features on it too!! Lovely colours and some great paper piecing Tammy, a very different style for you and (sigh) you did it so well!! Hope you're feeling better now too.

On the subject of Get Well wishes, Rach made a lovely card this week - sure to make the recipient perk up! It's one of my favourite LOTV images Rach and I love the way you cut around the 'poorly bunny's pillow :) Lovely colours and I do have to smile at the sort of 'Help me!' look on the bunny's face as he/she prepared to take a spoonful of that yellow medicine - much better than dark green cough mixture though. Super card!

Mags came to play next, threatening to set up a leaf jumping competition from the swings! Anyhow, Mags brought a beautiful card for a same-sex Wedding, a tricky one to find the right image for unless you resort to just wording or wedding bells - but it works so perfectly. The birds are gorgeous and I love the lace and flowers - no wonder they were delighted Mags!

ScrappyMo returned next - gingerly crafting after her back surgery, great to see you Maureen and so glad that things are going well. This is the great gardening theme card that Maureen brought and a perfect way to ease back into crafting again. It's lovely and the wellies and potted lavender are such a super touch, popped up on glue dots to add dimension. Just make sure that's the only gardening you so for a while though Maureen!!

Next was our Shaz in Oz - still recovering from eye surgery, and doing brilliantly if this fabulous card is anything to go by.  Aha, I just popped back and apparently it was made pre-op :) No matter, it won't be long Shaz before you're back into full crafting mode. I sighed very sadly when I saw the amazing brayered background, it's absolutely gorgeous and I have no idea where I could ever begin to do this - my brayer and I have a love hate relationship.....it loves to tease me and I hate it for that!! And the scene itself is utterly gorgeous Shaz - not to mention the rest of the card....please go and see girls, it's beautiful!

Hazel managed to squeeze in just before the Playground gates closed (in fact Sam was the very last, I almost had to forcibly pull her off the swings!). Hazel's card is a simple but very effective Birthday card - I love the swirly background Hazel and am glad to see you made it in time to play this week. I know that life has been very busy for you - and here's another 'heads up' girls. This week's challenge over at Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge is to use black and white, possibly with one other colour.............so you could think about that when making your Rudolph Day cards and do a bit of 'Monolithic duo-avicide' (ie. killing two birds with one stone...........think about it!)

Done!! Gates firmly closed as I type this - yay! So pleased I managed to do the roll call after a few missed weeks lately :) Thank you all for still joining in the fun regardless of there not being very good service from this end!

If you wanna join in the Playground and keep using up those snippets - the Playground is open all of this coming week but it will close on Saturday 27th October  at noon, UK time. Mr Linky is below as usual.

Di
x 

The only conditions to playing nicely in the Snippet Playground are that your card (or anything else you wish to bring here to show) must be made by using up snippets (card, paper, lace and ribbon are all fine), and a link back to here in your own blog posting will mean that you'll be included in the Weekly Roll Call. Oh, and no nipping or hair pulling of course :)

30 comments:

  1. You're a star, Di, for your wonderful, entertaining Snippets posts. Your trip to Longleat sounds amazing!

    And what a wonderful Christmas card, the poinsettias are gorgeous and I love the vintage Santa!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the roll call Di. Thank you for plugging Rudolph Day too! Mwah Mwah!

    Terrific festive card today and i just love that poinsettia embelly.

    Gentle Hugs for your poor old back . . . xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card and your sories always have me chuckling, love the fact you got to touch Henry such a fab memory. My you had a lot of playmates last week, need to get my finger out and join in or I will permanently lose my place on the swings. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Di, Oh wow what a gorgeous card l do like Poinsettias and your Father christmas and ribbon and bow are real stunners too! Yes l'm sure the happy couple will be pleased with their card they get married tomorrow so l'm hoping the weather will be lovely for them have a great day and thank you for your lovely comments will be back later in the week as its tayla's time until late tomorrow evening!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card Di, fabulous vintage Santa and love the traditional colours.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might just have to do a stock check of all me 'C' bits in preparation only mind. Only just bought me pumpkin! Can't go rushing these things. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evening Di rather late one over here!!
    ..but so love your roll call; and can so see why the giraffe had to be Henry! that must be one awesome memory to have.
    I did love Sally's photo too. May be back this week as did actually make two snippets cards today (and sorry one is brayer one love it too other one prob wont post don't like it much, a Christmas one) thanks for giving us chuckle and smile, and also for your cheery comments on our blogs, you are a real Encourager!! Shaz in OZ.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?! I'm first? Is school closed today and no one toed me?

    Lovely roll call, Di, and such a long one! You are the best and your card and story are no exception!!

    Hope your back is better - soon, if not as I'm writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Di, weren't YOU the lucky one?!! Haven't been to Longleat since I were a lickle lass (last week!) And yes, there is a funny tale about that trip.....I was about 5 and we had a French exchange student over (my sister was about 12). My brother was able to fiddle with the child locks in the back of the car, and I started to fiddle with the door catch whilst sat on Annie's lap(the French girl) behind the passenger's seat, and the next moment I had the door open and was hanging on to it as Dad took a right turn, with Annie hanging onto my dress at the back!! Kinda like Jess on Postman Pat! Oh the fun we had!! I get reminded that if ever Longleat is mentioned....probably why I have never been back!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing memory to have of Henry the Giraffe Di, I'm quite jealous! Wonderful roll call and thanks for the enthusiastic welcome back too. Hope your back is easing up.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Di

    Your little adventure sounds amazing. I think I will have to put this on my wish list.

    A beautiflu traditional Christmas card, with a gorgeous image.

    Thank you for your roll call this week.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there Di,

    Box arrived -- OMG, I'm jumping with joy here (sent you an email).

    I laughed when Len caught you looking at the colors for the treehouse. I like those colors too!

    Poor Katie has an injured paw this morning so I'm staying in my chair watching her. She didn't come up the stairs last night for bed so I was wondering what was going on. We may have a trip to the Vet tomorrow.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no .. .. I am 3rd .. .. and I can hear everyone in the playground singing .. ..

    First the worst
    Second the best
    Third the dirty donkey!!!!

    Never mind I will put my brave face on and just go with it LOL!!!

    Great roll call as always. You do a great job of finding interesting things to say about all the playmates.

    Your colour chart sketch made me smile.

    Oooo.. .. almost forgot. Great Christmas Card from your snippets!! Love the traditional colours of Christmas.

    Hope your back is behaving and your weekend has been good.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMW! What a fab post!! Is there any room in the playground for newbies?? I will definitely come and play soon.

    Love your traditional Christmas card Di.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Di...long time no see but I've finally managed to take something out of the bit box instead of putting it in! Nearly choked on my icecream reading your thread lol. I love Longleat, the VIP safari sounds fab.
    Well must go see what everyone has been up to! Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful Santa Claus and poinsettia! I've missed being able to play the past few weeks. Hope to get around the playground this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Di, lovely card - I like the topper and you have just reminded me that I have a deckle edge blade for my trimmer too - never use and really should. I wonder how many other forgotten but potentially useful items are lurking in the craft space.

    I'm going through the wars just now but I will try to put together a tutorial on that technique you've tried so hard to read - though I think Lisa at Lisa's Garden may have beaten me to it. However, it's so good it's worth repeating - oh, I you've made an awful mess of my screen :))

    I've submitted my first Halloween project ever for your perusal - what do you think --- too scary for the chickens? :)

    Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh it is early for this one!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another early (yet late) one for ya! I will call by later to see your post as it looks interesting!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew! Think I caught up my blog visits to all the palyground girls! I've been behind and so enjoyed visiting all the lovely blogs, seeing such talent & inspiration. Speaking of which: Your card is fabulous. I love the idea I'm getting of recycling past cards into something lovely for this year. You folks on these blogs have done it so well. I'll have to take some lessons! Thanks for hosting the palyground (I like Palyground...no it's not a typo. got the idea from Darnell & her snipperts! And it is sort of Paly around here. Very friendly. Hope I've sent some more folks to help pick out the decorations..in case you're wanting some help. Pink is fine with me too! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had to laugh, Len must have the same look my dear husband has. He caught me talking to my new desk friend...You mean Len doesn't think the tree house is real? What's wrong with him? I could swear I saw him peaking through the playground fence. Have a most wonderful week. By the way, your Christmas card is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm back again, Di. This time I brought dessert. There'll be some disappointment since I didn't bring the slime. Hopefully dessert will be a good substitute! Hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great roll call. I'm in with a card I am not wild about...but a finished card never the less.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely card Di! I love the poinsettias, very pretty. I don't know how you have the time to say something about every card, it must take you a long time, you are very thoughtful.
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. And a Christmas card Snippet for you today Miss. Last one of the week for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Di, just added my Rudolph Day makes as I used a ton of snippets in the making of all four cards. Yes, I've excelled myself this month but, apart from one, they were simple, quick and easy to make. The blue one is the only exception ... I tried a new technique on that one. Like Sam, that's my last for you this week. Off to see your latest posting :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. great card, hun! Loved the story about Henry - can't call him anything else now! Hope the big guy is behaving himself

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yoo hoo, I'm here again. I'm like the proverbial bad penny lol xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.