Recently Mia, our eldest Grand daughter, learnt to swim. She's only just over five and a half years old and the big 'test' was for her to swim a full 25 metre length of the pool. Despite being really scared of the 'deep end' she did it on her second try - and also summoned up her courage to jump into the deep end as well. Bless her, her Mum told me that the award she got features a sea horse and that sea horse was the driving force behind her determination to conquer her fear. So, yesterday I spent what seemed like almost the whole day making a card for her plus one for Livi (her little sister) - got to keep them equal! This is Mia's card:
- 6" x 6" square white card stock
- a downloaded digi image of a mermaid plus sea horse from here. Coloured with Pro Markers then some H2O's from the very lightly tinted iridescent set, which just gives a hint of pearl without changing the background colour too much. The tricky part was cutting the image out, then I added some tickles of Stickles in 'Cherry Ice' and 'Mint Ice'. The mermaid's 'tiara' was also Stickled with 'Mint Ice' and a teeny pearl popped in the centre
- the plain card I used to mat the patterned paper onto is SU's 'Pool Party' - appropriately enough :)
- backing paper is from Prima's 'Firefly' collection
- the 'seaweed or coral' in the bottom right hand corner is a part of an 'Arboscello Tree' die cut using 'Pool Party' again and tickled with 'Mint Ice' Stickles
- sentiment is LOTV, stamped in 'Pearlescent Purple', die cut and a couple of little pearls added
- pink organza bow, with a lovely silver dolphin charm (thank you Jules!) tied on with iridescent cord
- then I hovered, holding my 'Water Droplets' stamp - but bottled out for fear of spoiling hours of work (I'm a very slow crafter!). I hasten to add, it wasn't because the stamp wouldn't have enhanced the end result, I was just worried I did a last minute 'shake action' and smudged! Suddenly remembered a whole range of 'dewdrops' I had tucked away so added just a few pale turquoise ones with Glossy Accents
- thought it was finished until Grandad Len saw it and asked me to add Mia's name - silver peel offs to the rescue!
What with this and yesterday's Snippets card, there's a lorra swimming going on right now!
And, thank you so much for your lovely comments yesterday - but without you, your unselfishness, sense of fun and at times the downright ridiculous, we wouldn't have a Playground!
I love it! Really sweet image, gorgeous papers and fab way to use that tree die - got to start looking at things a bit more closely from now on. I'm getting my H2O's out to play with right now. Thank you Di big hugs Karen xReplyDelete
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this, just adorable, you did a fantastic job on it! Waving hi from the "will it ever stop raining?" hills of North Carolina ♥ReplyDelete
Di, lucky grand daughter,beautiful card...I love your need for a second card...you are a very good grand mum.ReplyDelete
Stunning card Di, Mia will love it I'm sure. The colours are gorgeous and the stickles are perfect on her tiara. Great idea to use the tree branches as coral and the dew drops are perfect too! Cathy xReplyDelete
She is so going to love this card..What a brave little girl to jump in the deep end...I am not so brave as she is.ReplyDelete
Your card is beautiful and what a great ides to use that tree die for the seaweed!
Oooooh Well done Mia, and what a lovely card Di the image is perfect xxReplyDelete
Good for Mia - it's amazing how something we love can motivate us to conquer our fears (works for all ages!) I adore your little sea horse card and it reminds me of an illustration in a book I used to read to my daughter when she was small and was obsessed with seahorses too. Vicky xReplyDelete
that's so cute - Mia will love it! The dewdrops are the perfect finishing touch :-)ReplyDelete
This is gorgeous and Well Done Mia! I feel her fear!ReplyDelete
Somehow I think that Mia will love the dewdrops with their sparkle! Another darling image!ReplyDelete
hi dear dear Di, well what a fabulous card and wow! you all must be so proud of her, well done so remember my fear of the deep end too, in early days... love Shaz in oz.xReplyDelete
Congratulations to Mia! I can just imagine the courage it took for her to jump in the deep end of the pool! That seems like a long distance too.
Your cards are always so pretty and inspiring.
The fire has now grown to over 21,000 acres but NM4 has been re-opened and some evacutees have now been given the green light to return home.
Fabulous card Di, lovely image and great papers and the dew drops look great.ReplyDelete
Your Grand-daughter will love it.
Well I was playing at doing too many things and once and not concentrating on just doing one. I was preparing a post then changed my mind but must have posted it instead of deleting it.
Lovely little mermaid, and thanks for the link. You colored her so sparkling & she just glowed when I enlarged the pic. Marvelous cutting job I say. Your grand will love it. The dewdrops were perfect as bubbles, and I hear you about hesitating to spoil what you'd already done. (I do that & then wish I had not added the last item!). TFSReplyDelete
This card is gorgeous! The background paper couldn't be more perfect with that beautiful mermaid and I LOVE the dew drop bubbles. :)ReplyDelete