Tuesday 27 November 2012

Sympathy card and a Tuesday Tale

You know that feeling when you open a Christmas card and your heart sinks? That happened to me last week when we received a card from a friend I haven't seen in a lot of years, although we still exchange cards and our news at Christmas. Her husband sadly died in August so I made this to send with a little note inside:
I used:

- 5" x 5" square white card stock

- deep lavender backing paper from the snippets folder, punched round using a Martha Stewart 'Punch Around the Page' set

- sentiment by SU, from the 'Sincere Salutations' set, stamped in Pearlescent Lavender and punched out using one of my favourite SU punches

- flowers bought in New Mexico, made by Martha Stewart - called 'Hydrangea' - they come already to use in sets of three flowers for corners with the little pearls already added

- teeny self-adhesive pearls in the other two corners

The tale begins when Elisma (isn't that a pretty name) and I met at work. She got me involved with a local charity raising funds for a CARE village in Ponteland where I lived - the village is still going strong housing 42 adult residents with learning disabilities (mostly Downs). We ran Summer garden parties, themed dinner dances and lots of other events over the years - raising an amazing amount of money to fund the village and even build new cottages.

We also discovered a love of 'playing at shops' - raided our lofts and set ourselves up doing car boot sales. This was followed by us trolling round local jumble sales and auctions so we could 'up cycle' things such as glassware, jewellery and so on. We did have a lot of fun and the sun always seemed to shine whenever we did our monthly boot sales.

Sadly, Elisma and her husband Malcolm moved away down to Lowestoft but not before her very dry husband caught me out good an' proper. I rang their house to check up on something (probably when to meet for a car boot or jumble sale) - the phone was picked up and when I asked for Elisma the solemn answer from a chap was 'Sorry, there's no one here right now'. And, to my eternal shame, I squeaked 'OK, I'll try later' - and hung up!!! I then wandered away from the phone, the light finally dawned and a huge pair of asses ears sprouted from my head...............of course, when I rang straight back, Malcolm could hardly speak for laughing and neither could I. What a wag and very much missed by my friend and no doubt many other people.

Di
x

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely tale to share of your girlfriend and you doing the car boot sales and organizing the garden parties and dances in favor of this well deserved charity.
    Her late husband sounds like a fellow with a good sense of humour...I sure he will be sorely missed.
    Pretty card...as soon as I saw those hydrangeas, I instantly thought they must be Martha Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still have the asses ears handy then Di???!! Mind come in handy at time y'know! Lovely card, very pretty colours, I'm sure your friend will love it. Always sad to get bad news, sounds like her hubby had you sized up though!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Di, this card is so full of love and memories.
    I m sorry for your friend lost.
    But I think that the card will brings some good fellings in her mind and heart.
    We are just souls on the trip, someday we will be again all together.
    Wish you a lovely day.
    Hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Di, with such lovely memories.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty card. Love the purple and the pretty floral embellishments.

    Sorry to hear you've received bad news.

    Sending hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this very pretty card, what a lovely story
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Di, I'm sure your friend will truly appreciate it.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card Di, Sounds a lot like my hubby he would do the same with the phone call too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My PC died bigtime so not been around lately. It's at this time of year we think of those loved and lost, but also of happy memories of them too. I'm sure your card will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Proof read Brenda, proof read, otherwise you type garbage!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely sympathy card and a lovely story.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card there Di. Not too sparse and not OTT - just perfect!
    I am with you on that horrible feeling of not knowing someone has passed away.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful remembrance! I'm sure your friend will treasure this card, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaaaaahh .. .. what a shame to receive such news.

    But it has sparked off some special memories for you .. .. which are always nice to recall.

    I am sure your friend will really appreciate your card. The colour and those flowers are lovely.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really sad story Di but I am glad you have some happy memories. This card is sweet and simple and just the job. I love it.

    Hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely story about your friend and her husband - I'm sure he will be much missed by everyone who knew him, especially Elisma ... it is a lovely name. Your card is lovely and perfect for the occasion. Elizabeth xx

    PS: I'm in catch up mode :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.