Thursday 29 November 2012

A special card for a special person...

...this is one for my step-mum. As some of you know, she lives in a really good care home so I wanted a card that was special, quite tactile and with lots of little extra touches. As she's always been an avid one for watching and feeding the birds this image was a good starting point - she lives on the ground floor and her room has a lot of bushes outside the window so she can still enjoy their antics. Ha, and she squirrels bread away at meal times to feed them :)
I made an easel card which will sit nicely in her lovely room on her coffee table, beside her favourite armchair.
Sideways view - and I'll be adding one of the little 'easel card instruction stickers' which I posted about here. If anyone would like a copy of the file just drop me an email to di_wray@hotmail.com.
The sweet little Christmas tree charm got all shy - it's there hiding behind the silver cord. Many thanks to Jules for letting me in on how to add charms nicely to a bow ................ just thread a bodkin with the cord and wiggle it through the knot in the bow, easy, once you've been told the secret!
And the card will prop up behind this little raised band of card and paper, with brads added just in case my step-mum has difficulty standing the card up. I totally love the little robin brad - it's fabric covered and embroidered, just adorable.

I used:

- 6" x 6" white scalloped card stock from Craftwork Cards

- image (already coloured!) and papers from Wild Rose Studio's 'Annabelle's Christmas' paper pack

- ruby red backing card from the snippets folder

- ruby red organza ribbon from the ribbon box

- a little silver Christmas tree charm and silver cord

- snowflake die cut and glittered, with a glittered white brad in the centre - just hold the brad in looooong tweezers, heat with a heat gun and dunk straight into glitter, I use an unlabelled pot bought from Art of Craft

- brads, the ruby red jewel ones are made by 'Lush' and the robin one came from Papermania's  Henbury Lane 'Poinsettia Embroidered brads' pack

- sentiment from Woodware's 'Christmas Ribbon Tree' set, layered onto ruby red card

- stickles on the ground and little falling snowflakes, although they don't show up in the photo very well

- Josy Rose silver round and heart shaped nail heads

I'd like to enter this card into the following fabby challenges:

St. Luke's Hospice - the theme is 'Traditional Christmas'. It's very sad that this is their last challenge, and I'd like to thank Tara and the DT for such a fun and worthwhile challenge - we'll miss you!

Sarn's Rudolph Day Challenge - where you can win a super wax seal set this month, courtesy of Sam - this is my third and final entry for this month. Still time to enter girls :)

Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - where the theme is a card for 'someone special'

and last, but not least, Hiding in my Craft Room (HIMCR) - where the theme is 'Christmas'. This challenge is new to me but it looks like good fun!

Still up to my eyes here doing the old school newsletters :(

Di
x

20 comments:

  1. Oh my word Di, this is just gorgeous!
    Beautiful image and such a lovely story you shared about the significance.
    It is so nice to hear someone who is so thoughtful to their stepmom!

    Love the design and embellies...I would love the file...I plan to try the fancier folds in 2013...I have only done an ordinary folded card!!! I'll email you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di, this card is gorgeous. Full of sweet details, i can t stop looking on it. Bravo. Hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Di

    What a gorgeous and very special card for your Step Mum. I am sure she will love it.

    The image is gorgeous and you have added so many special finishing touches.

    Thanks for the marzipan usage idea .. .. but my hubby wouldn't thank me for a date .. .. not the edible kind anyway!! LOL!!

    Have a good day.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card Di. Love the image, layouat, pretty papers and fab design.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lot of care and attention you've put into the detail of this card Di. I'm sure it will be admired by all that see it.
    Hugs,
    A x
    ps you do my ironing and I will do your newsletters :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stepmum will love this gorgeous card - it's so lovely that you've used an image that relates to her feeding the birds (love the aside that she saves bread at mealtimes!) - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 100 - hope to see you again soon - new challenge tomorrow morning x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOOH I just LOVE this Christmassy easel card full of loveliness and I bet your Stepmum will too. Love everything about it.

    Thanks for entering a third time. Good luck.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. your step-mum will love this gorgeous card.........the little brad is fab and the image and papers are lush
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cards that are made to match the person who will receive them. This is a lovely image that I am sure your step-mum, and her fellow residents will enjoy. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's lovely Di, but what's a bodkin!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card with lots of wonderful touches. Your step-mum will love it and cherish it this holiday season. That was brilliant idea to make it easel style so that it could sit up and be decorative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really special card Di which I am sure will be a real hit! Great details which make it just right.
    I,ve not had my gluehwein yet but had a fab bratwurst MIT mustard today. Off to the market tomorrow evening. I didn't,t know you had family over here just like me! Just a tip... Go early to the airport as the x ray scanners can no longer be used due to a European change of law and getting through was so slow. I got to the gate as the plane was loading and never even saw duty free! It was so stressful.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Di, Your Easel card is stunning and the image too! this is perfect for your Step mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely card! She'll love that she can stand it up securely to gaze at it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGoodness Di this is absolutely fabulous dahling!
    Love all the lickle elements you have put on this. It is oozing with love.
    I am sure your step mum will love looking at this for ages over Christmas.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaw, what a lovely card, smashing image and love the papers and a great easel card. fabulous bow and a great colour of ribbon, I just wish I could tie a bow, let alone add a charm.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has birds, you know I'm gonna LOVE it! I'll say it again, you do the most fantastic things with the stickers, pre-colored items. Love this easel card with all it's trims & textures. I'll be sending for those instructions. I'm fold challenged! (among the many other things!). Your Mum is going to love this beautiful work of art. You're a good girl to make a so-special card for her. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your card is gorgeous Di. I`m sure your step mum will love it. Thanks for joining us for our final St Lukes challenge.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of my favourite Christmas images Di and I love the fact you have made it an easel card, added little 'feely' bits and ribbons. This is just the job for your step-mum. You have thought of everything. I love it.

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful and special card, indeed. I love all the touches and thanks for the tip on how to hang the charms ... I did wonder how Jules did it so perfectly but didn't ask. I'm sure your step-mum will love the card. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.