Wednesday 7 November 2012

Patchwork Christmas Dove

I spotted over at Kath's a great Woodware stamp which she'd used for her snippets card a couple of weeks ago - you can see how lovely the card is here. So, in typical 'copycat fashion' I hopped onto the internet and bought said 'Patchwork Christmas Tree' stamp - then I started looking at the other Woodware patchwork stamps and more dropped into my shopping basket - this is one of them:
And, I made the card for two challenges - Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge (where this week you have to use at least three different patterned papers) plus a 'new to me' challenge which I spotted on Sandra H's blog. It's called 'Sparkles Christmas Challenge' and this month's theme is 'Contemporary Colour Combo'. Two great Christmas challenges covered with one card - I guess if I look properly there are lots more out there - and it's only 17 days or so until your final Rudolph Day for 2012 over at Sarn's!

I used:

- 6" x 5" white card stock

- Woodware's 'Patchwork Dove' stamp - it is a large clear stamp if you're tempted

- patterned papers from DoCrafts Daisy and Dandelion 'Penelope and Percy' Christmas paper pack - the dove is paper pieced and I added a piece of the paper behind the white background that the dove is on

- sentiment by Craftwork Cards, layered onto a scalloped circle of paper from the same pack

- half daisy edging punched with a Martha Stewart punch with a double strip of ribbon covering the join

- Josy Rose nail heads

Originally I planned to put the dove onto more patterned paper but the simplicity of the lovely image (not my work I hasten to add) was swallowed up.

OK, so this 'ere teachers training course I'm on. We flew with FlyBe from Southampton to Malaga. Oh boy, I'd flown with them to Newcastle in the Summer and once again they didn't disappoint. The plane only seats 88 passengers so it's just two by two seating, Southampton Airport was a breeze as it's about 30 minutes drive from home and we arrived feeling much less stressed than we often are. We don't often hire a private jet but this came pretty close!

HA!!!!! And then today in Southern Spain it has absolutely poured with rain - and I mean poured. To the point that apparently the manhole covers down in the Marina were spewing water like fountains :( We went out a couple of times for walks (yup, waterproofs and all) but missed the 'show'.

But, we're currently sitting on the (covered!) terrace having a pre-dinner 'snifter' (as you do), the swallows were still flying round earlier, it's a balmy evening and I'm just about to make us store cupboard tuna pasta - which was on my Friday Feast a while back. This is the link if you missed it :)

Oh, and I might be a little way away - but I can still see the Snippets Playground. Girls - it's waaaaay too early to put that Christmas tree up!!

Di
x

20 comments:

  1. I can see why you just had to have that stamp - and it's beautifully paper pieces - lovely card - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 97 - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those patchwork stamps! It's spooky how they manage to creep into the shopping basket, though!

    This is such a gorgeous card, Di! So elegant!

    I must say, having a 'snifter' in Malaga when it's raining sounds very civilised. If we developed that habit in Blighty we'd all be plastered most of the time ;)

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this stamp before Di and I think it is great. Such a lovely idea with the patchwork theme. I'm glad you left the background as it is because it looks fab. Just lovely.

    Hope you enjoyed the tuna pasta bake - I copied the recipe down because it looked so yum yum. Will be doing a non-rain dance for you!!!

    Hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little patchwork dove Di. Maybe I could do similar with fabric. It's so pretty. Have fun. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card-dove is so cute. Brings peace, so peace to you and your love ones. Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely card Di! I love all the details, the colours are so sweet too.
    Unfortunately I don't own those bunny slippers! The theme was bunnies because when I was young I used to have a bunny on each wrist when I went to sleep. Might add some bunny slippers to my Christmas list though ;)
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card,love the image, great choice of papers too, and the image does speak for itself, so dead right not using any background papers.
    Oh well what's a torrent of rain, better than freezing cold, like it is in my neck of the woods.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di, Thank you for joining in our fun at Sparkles Christmas challenge Contemporary Colour Combo ....your card is gorgeous l love all the elements used to create such a wonderful card and what a gorgeous Dove too! beautiful papers and lovely layered scalloped circles at the bottom of the card looks so effective, hope you'll join in again l know this is your first time but it would be lovely to see you come back again have a great day DT Member Sandra H xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are having a fun time and that the rain has blown away.

    your card is so peaceful...the dove of peace...love it!

    PS You are going to be well "trained" by 2013!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatttt? Who mentioned the Christmas Tree? Who? Who? I'm off for a looksie. I mean . . . we only just cleared up from the bonfire party!

    Loving your patchwork dove here Missus! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely patchwork birdie Di, very pretty colours.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Di! Lovely post, (as always). I'm just dropping by to let you know that the lovely cards you made using my sample toppers have been added to my page here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cardmakers-Delights/Customer-Cards-Gallery.html I really hope that this is okay with you. I have linked to your blog, but if for any reason you wish for me to remove them, just let me know. Many thanks, Tracy -xxx- (Cardmaker's Delights)

    ReplyDelete
  13. " Girls - it's waaaaay too early to put that Christmas tree up!!"... says she showing us Christmas cards!! And a lovely one it is too, perfect for paper piecing. Hope the weather picks up in Spain, not that you'll be seeing much of it as I'm sure you'll be inside diligently working on your teacher training!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. A brilliant creation!

    Thank you for sharing at Sparkles Christmas Challenges this time
    Good luck in the draw

    Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Miss Di

    Loving your patchwork dove here. He looks great in those gorgeous pastel colours.

    Sounds like you are having a very stressful time at teacher training!! You will be glad to get home.

    When are you back? Just so we know how much time we have left to clear up the debris!!

    Have fun!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are all practising looking as if butter wouldn't melt in our mouths... but I'm not sure we need bother if you do much more sniftering! I love your pretty patchwork dove against the white background and I love the paper piecing. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card - love the patchwork dove. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A really cute card! I love the soft colours you have used. Thanks for taking part in the Sparkles Christmas challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cannot believe I have not commented on this Miss, I know I have seen it and liked it....
    Gorgeous card and as it is patchwork it is right up my needle!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Di

    Love the patchwork dove - think I may have to get that one as well! Have fun!

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.