Friday 9 November 2012

And I forgot the 'rule of threes'

I made this card a long while ago when I first set out on my blogging journey, for Len's sister-in-law:
I used:

- A5 cream linen card stock

- distressed the background using Tim Holtz distress ink pads in Milled Lavender and Bundled Sage but they just look washed out in the above piccie! As I'm hopeless at drawing straight lines I did the outline stitching (with a 'Puce' Aqua Marker) round the edge using Paper Pizazz's Easy Stitches template. For me this works but the stitches on this A4 template are quite large (you do get quite a variety though). I hadn't even considered doing 'real stitching' back then :)

-  stamped the dressmakers dummy in Versamark Vintage Sepia - the stamp set is a Paper Girl Clear stamp set called the 'Girls Paperie'

- paper pieced the body of the dummy using some pink and cream patterned paper and also cut out flowers from the same paper plus some toning cream paper with the Cuttlebug 'Flowers' die. Almost the very first die set I bought. I then crumpled each layer of the flowers and layered them together with pearl brads. And that's where I forgot the 'rule of threes' and shoved four flowers onto the card - that really grated when I found this photo on an old SD card last week :( The leaves were punched from sage green card using Martha Stewart's 'Frond' punch

- the tape measure (it's 6" long) also comes in the stamp set so I stamped this onto the pink and cream paper, trimmed it and then joined it into a circle before attaching a couple of teeny sage green buttons with some pink embroidery cotton. I found it easier and less bulky to literally sew the buttons to the tape measure rather than stick them on

- the Happy Birthday tag was made using the last scrap of pink and cream paper and a stamp from Elzybells Mini Tag set and Penny Black's Happy Birthday stamp

- then, the finishing touches were just where I felt it looked a bit 'bare' so a few teensy pearls round the dummy's neck, a little pink bow on the tag and then a piece of sage green satin ribbon tied down the left hand side of the card

Anyhow, Maureen liked it despite me breaking rules - but I still wish I'd stuck to three flowers :(

The rain has stopped here - yay! 

Di
x

13 comments:

  1. Hi there Di of course Maureen would like it in spite of you breaking the rules.. and do agree with you funny how have this elements that bug us stick out in magnifies image in front of us when we look at a card..love Shaz in oz.x PS some thank YOU candy over my way :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you have to remind yourself of all the rules of 3 you have used since then!

    Those flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never followed the rule of three and see myself as a bit of a rule breaker well in this anyway, bit of a rule follower when it comes to the law so need to let me hair down somewhere else. Nice to see an earlier card too, love the colours and I would never have noticed that there should be three flowers if you hadn't said lol. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your card, is so cute.
    Rules up or down,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can ALL look back at our early days and wonder why we did something a certain way!

    It still works though Di because, aside from the ONE focal image, you have THREE embellishments to its right hand side. I think you got away with it!

    Sorry to hear it's STILL raining. Not THAT great here really! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always nice to look back at old stuff we made! Why worry about the extra flower? I am sure the recipient liked it and that is what is important not whether it complies!
    Hugs
    xx


    P.S. It is blinkin cold now so wear your fermals coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, just Gorgeous, Di! Love those dressmakers details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you remember the 'make sure you have fun' rule I think you're fine Di! I love your little details like the pearls on the dummy and the buttons on the tape measure. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Di, glad to hear the weather has perked up for you down there. The rain is probably a lot warmer and more refreshing than the dreich wet stuff we get here. Your card is lovely despite what you perceive as a mistake and I'm certain your recipient loved it because it was made by you for her. The stitching template is amazing :) Enjoy the weekend. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful card Di, I love the little tape measure.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this card Di - I have sewn since I was little so this type of design is very close to my heart. I love the touch of the pearls around the neck of the dummy. A really great touch!

    Hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous Di lovely sewing too and beautiful flowers and those pearls are they real.....lol gorgeous alround card Di and l'm sure your SIL loved it xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So What! it looks good and she liked it, so what does it matter, anyhow rules are made for breaking and it it is only taken from gardening that you should plant flowers in odd numbers, and gardening was originally a male thing and they are odd to start with, apart from Len that is.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.