Sunday 11 March 2012

Pixie's Crafty Snippets - Challenge Number 11

Another week, another playground roll call :) Firstly, my snippets offering:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square cream card stock

- all the other card and papers came from the snippets folder including the white card as I never throw a single scrap away!

- stamped image using Penny Black's 'A touch' stamp then paper pieced the leaves and petals (trust me, I had a thumping headache after doing those petals, there are very fine white dotted lines on the paper, but they don't really show up too well - after all that effort too!). Just a touch of Meadow Green Pro Marker in the centre of the flowers

- scalloped half daisy edging using a Martha Stewart punch

- sentiment from the 'Good Friends' sentiments set by Hero Arts, stamped using a Brilliance 'Pearlescent Orchid' ink pad

- Josy Rose nail heads


OK, now the all important roll call - much more interesting. A quieter week in the playground - nobody ventured near those pogo sticks, and nobody (no names) decided to have a swim in the duck pond!

First into the playground last Sunday was Princess Judy, a bit astonished at being first too with this super card. Oh dear, how frightfully British that sounds - sooper - and Judy is an all-American gal, with a sense of humour to match. Her card is made using some die cut gorgeous scrolls, along with other delicious goodies such as pearls, lovely butterfly and flower. I did giggle when, in her posting, Judy wrote about having worked out 'the proper number of shims and swear words' to make it cut out properly :) I think we've all been down that route!

Next was Linby, with a gorgeous Spring card - flowers, birdies and bugs featured largely - many punched out of such pretty paper. The result is a really fresh and uplifting card and I just love the edges - great stuff Linby! Often it's really funny to read the comments on snippets postings, which is why writing the roll call takes me so long. 

Shazza arrived next with a card, here, made by very cleverly using offcuts from the back of a card. The loveliest coastal scenes, layered onto backing which had been coloured using a matching Pro Marker to pick up the red gingham ribbon (neat trick). Some really pretty green checked paper snippets and a sentiment by Craftwork Cards. Brilliant job Shazza!

Next was Brenda with her first - and I suspect not the last - use of a LOTV image, here. Gorgeous colouring and a perfect mix of green, pink and purple - those colours all go together brilliantly. Brenda had a bit of a sad face as she hadn't put her sentiment on the front of the card - I think it would have had as much, if not more, impact anyhow on the inside where it ended up :) It's often good to open up a card and then see the link between the sentiment and the front of the card. Do go to see the beautiful result! Then Brenda returned later in the week with this beauty. It's a Christmas card, yup we're already making those, and the red and blues that Brenda used go so well together. Do hop over to see - I've just been for another look and not many of you have called by, you're missing a super card!

Karen brought a super card with her this week - to see it go here. The joy of the playground is seeing what others are playing with and picking up new ideas and techniques - Karen had been playing with offcuts of glossy photo card this week, using water based ink and a clear water spray to create a background - and the effect is really stunning. To find out just how she did it, do go and take a peek - it'll be well worth the visit! Plus, I've never seen peel offs so perfectly positioned and to such great effect - love it Karen!

Our next playmate was Irene, with a really elegant card using an embossing folder for the background, lace and ribbon - and a beautifully stamped image. It's a Stickaroo image and I totally love the different colours that Irene applied to the stamp - a terrific result Irene. I can't see in the write-up just what inks Irene used, or how she applied them, but the delicate blending of the colours is certainly something I'd love to be able to do.

Tammy's first card this week followed both a sketch and a colour challenge - and such a gorgeous result, aptly called 'Welcome Spring'. Do take a look and see how well everything goes together on this lovely card. Tammy's next visit was on Friday with another terrific colour combination here, do check out the cutest of fawn images too. A bit like Bambi maybe? The lemon and fawn colours work so well together too!

Hazel called by to play a few times this week - her first card is here and it's just the things to make you start thinking about lazy Summer days! Fabulous sentiment too - 'A perfect Summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and the lawn mower is broken' Love it! Next Hazel brought this really chirpy (no pun intended) Easter card to show - great isn't it?! Then Hazel showed us an altered notebook. Love all the pond elements Hazel! Hazel's next offering was a card which is perfect for anyone who has a gardening friend - it's here and I really love it! And take a peek here at Hazels Saturday afternoon card - it's for her next Christmas Challenge which is 'Glam it up with glitter' - you'll see the link at the top of her blog. Plenty of lovely glitter on your card Hazel - and what a great idea using left over pieces of Christmas crackers too. Hazel's next offering was another altered notebook (I'm gonna have to have a go at these!) - just take a peek at the cheeky, happy lion here - great Hazel!

It was just about a week ago that I made the connection with Tara (Craftilicious) and St Luke's Hospice Card Challenge) - this is the lovely card that Tara made. Unlike me, I think Tara is really a natural neutrals crafter (whereas I had the heebie jeebies at last week's Less Is More Challenge, which was to use neutrals). Shades of brown used perfectly Tara - do hop over and drool over that luscious flower too girls! Get the 'dark brown sugar glitter' - isn't it just beautiful?!!

Mary's first visit of the week was to bring this gorgeous pop up Christmas card, whilst recovering from a nasty cold. I made her carry a huge box of tissues the whole time :) Love the traditional Santa image and it looks as if Mary has also tracked down the Bo Bunny Christmas papers she was looking for! Great stuff! Later in the week Marry popped back with this really darling (pink too!!) napkin card. Using napkins on cards is a new one on me - do hop over to see the result, it's absolutely gorgeous, and also here's a link to how Mary made the card too. Now all I need is a bunch of pretty napkins!

Next into the playground for her visit was Karen T. As we have two Karens now I've added a T to our latest Karen to differentiate. Do hop over to see Karen's first card for the playground - here. I happen to know that Karen T is dotty about cats, and this card doesn't disappoint :) Also, check out the 'quilted' background - isn't it great! Hope to see you playing again Karen - doubt if the pogo sticks are really your scene after recent problems, but the swings are very calming just so long as nobody sneaks up to give you an extra push! I'll watch out for them, never fear :)

Carol brought a really cute Tatty Ted card with her this week. And a great tip too that I got all excited about - which I now know is called 'gutting' to make special card and papers go further. To find out more, go to Carol's Tatty Ted posting - and I also did a little bit about it here on WOYWW. What a gorgeous result Carol, aqua, white and grey make the perfect combination! And thanks again for the great tip!!

Next in was Lyn who opted to sit on the bench and watch over the satchels and sandwiches - coward! Do go and see her lovely flower shaped card featuring Poppy the Fairy - it's adorable. I know that some of you have already called by to say hello, it would be so nice if you hop over here to take a look, and maybe start following Lyn. And, whilst this isn't entered as a snippets card - look at this one I spotted, also made by Lyn! How clever don't you think? I'm trying to establish if Lyn stamped the letters onto card candy to spell out 'Cute as a button' - if she did then I might just as well pack in any thoughts of doing it again as the results are perfect on Lyn's card! Edit: Just found out that they are beads, but do please go and look!

Jules is mega-busy right now, so it was great to see her call by during the week. I swiftly hid the ruined pogo stick and the trail of duck weed in case Jules gets to think we've become a bit unruly. But, despite being so busy, just look here at the card Jules brought with her! Wow, how stunning huh?! It blew me away - I love the lace frou frou skirt especially - and, as always, Jules has come up with a really gorgeous card. If you haven't already seen it, or even if you have, I recommend a visit!

Sandra H arrived next, with such a bright and cheerful Christmas card, which you can see here. Like me, Sandra is a fan of scalloped edged cards, and this was made using one. Traditional red and green always does the trick on Christmas cards - plus Sandra had rescued some lovely little robins from a card that a friend was about to throw away - those, with the super background papers, lettering and a pyramage too all adds up to a super result Sandra! 

Aha, now we have even more excitement girls! Gilly trotted along with a lovely card using snippets and leftovers from die cutting a swirl - I've seen Sarn use these with a duster brush as a template - and Gilly used hers as an element on the card which you can see here. Isn't it super - I just love the end result. Then, if you scroll down Gilly's posting - finally, her wedding invitations for us to see! Aren't they great?! So elegant - love them Gilly! Things are getting a bit out of hand, we now have a skip arriving in the playground for you all to dump your tiniest snippets in 'cos we have until 30th June to fill it so there's plenty of confetti for the big day:) I suspect that Gilly will be keeping the venue secret in case we all turn up with bulging pockets of snippets plus our trimmers to form a guard of honour outside!

Shaz in Oz. whizzed in next with some great snippets makes - using the lushest shades of purple - totally brilliant! To see the results, and also to find out how Shaz made the backgrounds using her brayer go here. Yikes - like Elizabeth I think said, I approach my brayer as if it's a live grenade! Shaz also posted some great photos of where she lives - anyone for a crafting convention Down Under? :) We'd be no bother Shaz :) The pogo sticks would be left in the playground!

Next came Liz - with another stunner. My, you girls are bringing some fabulous makes to the playground! You can see it here - what a beauty don't you think? One of the challenges Liz made it for was to have 10 elements on the card - and Liz achieved this without it looking over the top - so elegant Liz! The clever part I think was to stick to shades of the same colour - mine would just end up looking as if some one had been fighting in a paint shop!

Hettie, aka Sam, hasn't been too well with a lurgy. Not sure if many of you know that like Sarn, Sam keeps chickens, and just reading all the comments left on Sam's posting I see that Sarn (the little rascal) says she hopes it isn't bird flu! Anyhow, I digress - here's the fabulous layout that Sam brought to show.  Well, what d'you all think? I love the layout in brown, copper and cream - beautiful. But what really caught my eye are the fabulous photos of Sam and her hubby - oh my, she sure scrubs up well! Super!!

Moving on, and trying to not mention P sticks again, Sylvia then trotted along with this absolutely gorgeous card - also made for Less Is More. Oh wow - one 'Neutrals Challenge' totally cracked Sylvia! Do go and see the layered borders and those pretty flowers. And the 'pin pricked' flower stems are truly inspired! Another little technique to try out some time I think! Yup, it's a winner to me for sure!

Next to visit was Jackie - with a fabulous card, all in vintage/sepia tones (to my eye anyhow) which you can see here. What stunned me was that this lovely creation of Jackie's followed a sketch that I'd have run a mile from! Brilliantly done Jackie - and super use of those Funky Hand snippets too. Do hop over and take a peek, it's great!

Heidi arrived next with a card full of fun for her daughter's birthday in (wait for it) August! Now, if that isn't organised!! Loads going on here, and it all works together so well - great image too. And wow, check out the hand made flowers - love the idea of the calendar page too, I've seen that on a few cards lately and it's a terrific idea! So, did you make the flowers yourself then Heidi?

I was getting a bit worried, but yesterday Maggie arrived after all - with an armful of seven lovely cards, here. A gorgeous mix of techniques and some lovely results too Maggie! Embossing using embossing folders, stamping, colouring and decoupage to name but a few. I do like Maggie's idea of having a stock of cards without sentiments, so that those can be added later on. Maggie also used Dufex (not sure if they're still trading Maggie?) - and, like her, I adore Dufex foiled images.  Edit: Maggie has confirmed that you can still buy Dufex goodies, phew!! Thanks Maggie. There are some great tips about how Maggie does things too, so do hop over to have a nose, and be sure to read the explanations. Fantastic selection Maggie!

Our Laura managed to find some time in between Uni. studies to bring such a cute little card here - made for a baby boy. Isn't it totally adorable? The Forever Friends bear is so sweet - and terrific Pro Marker colouring too. I love it Laura. I'm just about to leave Laura a comment, as recently I've noticed that only part of a card is showing in her photos - I'm sure it's because you need to choose a smaller size when you post an image Laura - if it hasn't been changed when you hop over girls, just click on the image and the card will appear in full on your screen, I'd hate you to miss some of it! So pleased you like the babies dummies and are finding good use for them Laura :)

At almost the last minute, Sarn flew in with a really clean and straightforward card, which you can see here - lovely sentiment, backing paper and a punched flower. All co-ordinated beautifully in white, turquoise and mauve - last I saw she was dejectedly picking up left over sweetie wrappers all on her lonesome :) Thanks for getting here Sarn - much appreciated!

So, that's it for another week. I'm off out to play this afternoon, helping at a local Craft Fayre. Please note the emphasis on 'helping' - the one and only time I had a stall there I made less than £3 all afternoon :( And I spent that anyhow on cupcakes and other stuff!

As usual, Mr Linky is below - have a great Sunday everyone, whatever you have planned! I'm closing the gates at 10pm UK time next Saturday - it's only a couple of hours sooner but it just might mean I can do the last check before going to bed on Saturday and then release the roll call to have the gates open again really quickly. I was too tired last night to sit up until 1am or so! Hope to see you in the playground this week - it seems as if calm has been restored once again, grin! 

Di
x

The only conditions to playing nicely in the Snippet Playground are that your card (or anything else you wish to bring here to show) must be made by using up snippets (card, paper, lace and ribbon are all fine), and a link back to here in your own blog posting will mean that you'll be included in the Weekly Roll Call. Oh, and no nipping or hair pulling of course :) 

28 comments:

  1. Morning Di, Truly lovely this one as always you present us with a stunning creation, love the pink and green two colours l always thought went well together, fab Penny/Black stamp and layout another stunner l'll be back with my entry after baby goes home we have her until Monday Evening she is just sat here watching CBEEBIES keep them quiet and that's the husband too.....lol have a lovely day and again thank you for your comments:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow epic as ever! Great card Di, I can vaguely remember what it looks like after reading the book you have published!!! Makes me giggle and thats just the tonic ATM.....keep it up..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love theat PB floral image Di. Perfect use of your snippets and I love the scalloped border.

    Thanks for not giving me detention or lines this week!

    I've picked up the sweet wrappers and the odd tissue or two AND I detangled the balloon that's been hanging from the tree over the duck pons. Can I have "good girl" star on my chart now pleeeeeeeeese? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is fab, Di - sooper even!! (yes, how frightfully British!). What a roll call - it gets longer and longer, which is lovely because it means more of us are venturing into the playground - you are doing a fantastic job! Thanks for all your comments. The kind of week I've had I need time in the playground, so I'm very thankful for your little oasis! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be back later for a proper visit and comment, but I had to tell everyone, that Dufex seem to be back in business, having just done a quick trawl on the internet while scoffing my toast and honey (fresh, homemade bread, just to make you all drool). See you later when the computers are all linked together and up and running properly (and after I have done my degree course on how to work it all). xx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe I'm first in the playground! Mr Linky was being a bit difficult this morning but I've managed to get him under control.

    Love your snippet card Di, the colours are lovely and papers are gorgeous.

    Your roll call does make me laugh every Sunday, you have a real way with words :)

    Well I'm off to grab a pogo stick whilst those big girls aren't here but be sure I'll stay well clear of the duck pond.

    Enjoy your day. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card, just going to make a picnic and a cup of tea while I schroll though all your lovely roll call, and enjoy the read and throll though the internet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH Dear that was me I am not Anoymous!!! Something went wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely card Di, so fresh and spring like.
    I came over early to keep Carol company as she let me know she was here on her own kicking her heels. I'm keeping away from the duck pond as I don't want the bigger girls accidentally pushing me in. Thanks for another amusing write up.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Afternoon Di, lovely card, I love that daisy. I can't believe I've missed a week in the snippet playground ... I'l be there, playing with the pogo sticks, just as soon as I've tamed the chaos in my new craft room :) Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely card Di, with a fab PB image. You must have so much patience to do all that paper piecing, I have a headache thinking about it. I love your chosen colours and fab sentiment.

    Pogo practice is still on going.

    Thank you so much for your hard work in the snippet playground.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Di

    What a fabulous snippet make from you.

    Beautiful colours and super neat paperpiecing.

    Hope it's OK but I have brought some elastic to the playground this week to see if anyone fancies playing that game where two people stand inside a loop of elastic and a third jumps onto the strands of elastic and twists it round their legs and stuff.

    Can't remember what it was called but played it for hours as a kid .. .. with the elastic round either mine or my sister's legs and the third person was a chair LOL!!!

    Thanks for a brilliant write up again Di. You are a star and make for very entertaining reading on a Sunday!!!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please Miss, please miss can I fly me kite miss? Promise I won't go near the duck pond!!!


    Super card you have done missus.

    hugs mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card Di, love the stamp, I have that one too. Great papers and piecing.
    Bet you are worn out now.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great snippet card Di - love the colours you have used.

    I am afraid I didn't link my card properly, but it is the Mothers Day card I have just blogged.

    I have got bored with the pogo stick and so went rummaging around in the playground shed and found a hopper to play on ...... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee .... see, I can hop right over the duck pond LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely card Di, I bet you've got carpal tunnel now!! Well I'm about to add to that a little gift awaits you on my blog, Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Di!
    Such great paper piecing! It looks fab, lovely card.
    Thank you for the mention :)
    I have managed to sort my blog out now, pesky thing! Hope you had a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Di, Had trouble linking up hopefully you will see card another brilliant challenge and lots of lovely cards too!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely card there Di! A little earlier for me this week though I did make it last month, I didn't want to show it before the Anniversary as my Buddie looks at me blog.
    Can I get my kite out too seeing as Mrs A is getting hers out? Mine is purple would you believe!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great card of snippets Di and then a rib tickling post to chortle my way through. Di, yep! a crafting convention downunder sounds simply super all welcome to attend with due notice given of course what fun it would be.. cant imagine actually to craft with folks as rarely have anyone to share my joy as I craft and really miss that side of it, Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just popped over to link my post Di!finally put it up! {Phew this running round the playground is making me puff! chasing all those pogo sticks! Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  22. My goodness, you've been busy, love the card. I think we are all thinking spring and our flower cards are showing this. I love reading your bits about everyone who visits the playground. That alone keeps you busy. See you next week....have a great Mothering Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there I'm a new girl, just started today. Hope I've stuck to the rules please be kind to me, I,m quite shy. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous card, Di! Thanks for persuading me to join in the fun again! I'll play French skipping with Jules, but she will have to keep the elastic low for me, being such a shortie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sooper dooper card Di, lots of lovely pink, perfect. I'm still on the mums bench, under doctors orders, swinging my legs and getting tied up in knots trying to do cats cradle. Take care, Lyn x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have finished with the hopper now, if anyone wants a turn. I found a beautiful little white flower tucked away in the floral display ..... I love it when spring is sprung.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful card again Di...as always! Had fun in the Playground, no good on the Pogo Sticks but the roundabouts are great fun! Will join in the kite flying too - I was taught by a Kite Champion to fly kites - great fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry, Di, between me and Blogger, I am going nuts today. Not only did I use Debbie's details to log on with (I logged on for her on a Wednesday once and the computer cannot get its head around the fact that it was not a permanent thing), but I seem now to have logged on again. Sorry. I think I need more IT work in school this week. See you tomorrow for Registration. xx Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.