Onto the recipe:
Roasted Roots with Gammon
- 250g (8oz) turnips
- 250g (8oz) swede
- 250g (8oz) potatoes
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 6 sage leaves
- 2 smoked gammon steaks, about 400g (14oz) total weight, trimmed of fat
- 100g (3½oz) frozen peas
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C. Peel the vegetables and cut the turnips in half or in quarters, depending on size and the swede and potato into dice and the onion into thinnish wedges.
- Put all the vegetables in a large, shallow roasting tin, drizzle with oil and coat evenly. Add the ginger and sage leaves.
- Cook for 40 mins, stirring a couple of times. Add small chunks of gammon and cook for another 30 mins.
- Stir in the peas and cook for another 5-10 mins. (Not suitable for freezing).
It does look a bit like a 'mix-up in a dixie' I agree - but it's absolutely yummy. And the recipe says it can't be frozen - err, hello, who's gonna have any leftovers of this one to freeze anyhow?!
One thing to bear in mind - swede takes longer to cook than potatoes so cut it into slightly smaller pieces.
Hey, ho - it's raining cats and dogs again today as I type this, happy days!!