Friday 26 August 2011

Friday Feast - Roasted Roots with Gammon

This is a good dish for a Winter supper - so I made it on Tuesday evening after a day of torrential rain when it seemed that Summer had fled. Yesterday I found myself eyeing up some planters in the garden and thinking about how soon I could take out the battered petunias and plant some Spring bulbs! What?! It's still August for goodness sakes!!! Grump, grump!

Onto the recipe:

Roasted Roots with Gammon

Serves 4

  • 250g (8oz) turnips
  • 250g (8oz) swede
  • 250g (8oz) potatoes
  • 2 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 3tbsp olive oil
  • 1tbsp grated fresh root ginger
  • 6 sage leaves
  • 2 smoked gammon steaks, about 400g (14oz) total weight, trimmed of fat
  • 100g (3½oz) frozen peas

Method

  1. Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C. Peel the vegetables and cut the turnips in half or in quarters,  depending on size and the swede and potato into dice and the onion into thinnish wedges.
  2. Put all the vegetables in a large, shallow roasting tin, drizzle with oil and coat evenly. Add the ginger and sage leaves.
  3. Cook for 40 mins, stirring a couple of times. Add small chunks of gammon and cook for another 30 mins.
  4. Stir in the peas and cook for another 5-10 mins. (Not suitable for freezing).


 
It does look a bit like a 'mix-up in a dixie' I agree - but it's absolutely yummy. And the recipe says it can't be frozen - err, hello, who's gonna have any leftovers of this one to freeze anyhow?!

One thing to bear in mind - swede takes longer to cook than potatoes so cut it into slightly smaller pieces.

Hey, ho - it's raining cats and dogs again today as I type this, happy days!!

Di
x

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum yum. Yes please :-)
    Looks like we have made each other smile today. Raining and cold here too today but I shall still be head down sewing so it makes little difference to me :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that looks YUMMY. Definitely one for the winter when you need some comfort food other than CHOCOLATE, which is comfort food ALL YEAR ROUND of course!!!

    Pouring down here too! Yuk!

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is just mouth watering!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy this look scrummy! Thankyou for the recipe I must try this.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Diane :-) xx

    p.s It's been raining here too so had a lovely craft day lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great recipe for me to try - think my husband will like this one too. Apparently we are experiencing an early autumn because of the unusually dry spring - so thinking about planting up the bulbs is just about right, methinks. My boxes are looking sad now and I've already moved the troughs to their winter resting place. All I'm hoping for is a long, long autumn and a late and short winter - any chance I'll get my wish. No, I thought not :( Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.