Friday 1 April 2011

A special Mothers Day Card

As some of you know, my step-mum is currently in a care unit being assessed as to whether she can return home or needs to be in full time care. I spoke to her again yesterday (she lives in Northumberland) and it's the brightest she's been since she was hospitalised - which is a huge relief as we live so far away.

I made this card for her on Wednesday, in between blitzing my messy desk and trying to hop round a few WOYWW blogs:

The image is done using a PB Stickeroo stamp. It's the first time I'd inked this little beauty up - but certainly not the last! I had such fun using my Aquamarkers to colour it in :)

I used a scalloped card topped with Coredinations green card, with the corners rounded - in real life it's a perfect match for the greens in the Aquamarker colouring. What I love about Aquamarkers is that I can mix and play around with colours on a perspex block to get just what I'm looking for. A little squiggle of this, a dot or two of that and then a good old mix up with a wet brush!

A scalloped square Nestie was used to die cut round the image, the sentiment is from Craftwork Cards and I added a few bits of orange/white Card Candy, also from them. I found the flowers tucked away in my stash - possibly among the first I ever bought as they are silk and were snipped from little branches of flowers bought from a local garden centre years ago......way before I discovered Prima and Wild Orchid flowers, and probably before using flowers on cards was so popular. The yellow daffodils were already just flower heads in a little box, from the same garden centre, and they came with droplets of 'dew' on - which was such a novelty back then. Hmm, was this me being ahead of the game for once in my life?!

I also discovered that my step-mum can have fresh flowers after all, so a lovely bouquet and  a cuddly teddy should be delivered on Saturday. We're never too grown up for teddy bears are we :)

Thank you so much for calling by!

Di
x

5 comments:

  1. Awww, such a cute card! I love this image and the flowers look perfect in the corner. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for visiting me too! And what a lovely card you've made, i hope yr stepmother will be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet card! It screams SPRING! Love your coloring and the flowers are lovely! I'm sure she'll love it and no we are never ever to old for a Teddy. I have one on my bed and from time to time it's still a comfort to give it a cuddle.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the sweet comments. Bernie, so glad you like it, and also that you still have a Teddy! Me too :) Am going to try to add your name to the Candy draw - I can use my URL as you haven't got a blog (having a blog wasn't a condition of entering)but at least you'll be in with a chance. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernie. Di again! I've added you to the Candy and a link to your blogger setup thingy :) Di x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.