Wednesday 10 August 2016

Christmas Red Cardinal

Rootling through my box of shop bought Christmas cards we've been sent in recent times, I came across a beautiful card - manufactured in the UK and sent to us by Scottish friends. What struck me was the image, it's a Red Cardinal and I'm sure they're not found here in the UK in the wild. But what a charming bird and the image whistled called cried out to be up cycled - so this is what I ended up with:
I used:

- A6 white card blank

- a layer of white sparkly card (which was in the snippets folder), to completely cover the card front, glued in place. It matches the sparkly edging which was already around the image when I removed it from the card ready to up cycle

- next a slightly smaller layer of patterned paper from Wild Rose Studio's 'Annabelle's Christmas' paper pack, glued in place

- to make the sparkly edged image 'pop' a bit more I found a snippet of red silk mirri card and used part of it to 'frame the image before gluing it in place on the card front

- final touch, using the Misti I added the sentiment using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from the Paper Smooches 'Christmas Sampler' set

So happy I rescued this darling little bird, BTW the image is slightly fuzzy so it's not my photography! And, it already came with the lovely little shiny red berries sort of debossed and foiled - another reason I framed the image in the matching red silk mirri card.

I chose the sentiment 'Holiday cheer' as it's not really one we use in the UK. We refer to Christmas and New Year as just that - but I suspect this little chap will be winging his way over the Atlantic in December to wish someone Holiday Cheer anyhow! :)

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:

Merry Monday (currently on Summer break but we can link cards made using previous challenge themes, so I chose 'Challenge #137, Feathered Friends')

CHNC Challenge 293 'Vintage or Anything Goes'

CHNC Extra for August 'Always Anything Goes'

Di
x

27 comments:

  1. You are right about the Cardinal not being a resident this side of the Atlantic but I suppose a lot of card companies know we all recognise this bird and he does make a beautifully bright statement on a card, as he does here Mary. I love your red mirri and the pretty papers behind including the sparkly base layer which you covered the card with. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great upcycling! I'd love to see a cardinal IRL. It seems to be quite common in parts of the US. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful cardinal! I'm glad you let him out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely, and a wonderful way to recycle that pretty cardinal image! I went through a shoebox of hand-made cards yesterday and remade most of them into new cards so others can enjoy their beauty as much as I have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super card, and great upcuycling Di, you'd really never know!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great upcycling Di, I do the same for charity.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific upcycled card Di.. such a sweet bird image xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo what a fabulous bit of upcycling and a stunning image too, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG . . . this is SOOO wonderful and reminds me of A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (a FAVE book of mine). LOVE this card Di.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. l love this image and what a good recycled card you have created so beautiful as always x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Di

    Fabulous up-cycling! I bet your Christmas box is getting lovely and full .. .. and mine is still very, very hungry!! :-(

    Hope all is well with you.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this bird !!!!!!!
    Great up-cycling !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have made so well to upcycling this image, the cardinal is so cute! Beautiful card with this clean design!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely upcycling, wow, what an cardinal image ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab recycling. You'd think the background design paper and the background on the card to be one and the same. A good bit of matching that is. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous recycling!! We are lucky enough to have the cardinals here, in fact they drive some people nuts as they see themselves in the glass in the windows and think it is another bird and will peck, peck at the window for hours, drives ya a bit bonkers..lol! I recycle my Xmas cards too, but usually for Christmas tags...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there Hank and Marvin, iv'e been reading all about those hedgies. Do I need to bring my gardening gloves with me though as they do look a bit prickly to me.! Hugs Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you matched this up perfectly! A stunning card. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you know I adore THIS little guy! So pleased you were able to save his little red self to enjoy on another beautifully designed card. Wish I could send you a real live one to enjoy his wonderful red plumage. This one is a gem, and as soon as I get all the cleaning out done 'round here, be happy to come over and help out!(I can't really believe you need to sort out, but I'd love to come anyway!) TFS & big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your red cardinal is gorgeous! What a lovely upcycling project! I like to save all the cards I receive for the same purpose but somehow never get around to using them. I used to do it a lot, and I really should go through mine again to see what "whistles" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never seen this bird in real, but on your card it's just beautiful!!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those birds are gorgeous aren't they but our Robins top them for my money!. Yes thank you have seen LIM am still shaking. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful bit of upcycling there Di. Such a beautiful bird that it definitely deserved a new lease of life and a flight over the Atlantic xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card, Di. Thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooo . . . how gorgeous!!! We do have cardinals in the wild around here and they are just so beautiful. Just like your card! Love the simplicity, it really lets the image shine. Thanks for playing with CHNCC2.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can see why you'd upcycle that beautiful cardinal image, Di - love what you did with it (spotted on Merry Monday)!! We have cardinals here in US Minnesota - one was helping itself to seed in my parents' yard the other day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.