Sunday 27 May 2012

Pixie's Crafty Snippets Challenge - 22

OK, first up my snippets card for the week. It started off when I was gazing in horror at the mess on my desk and spotted some narrow teal coloured ribbon, hastily snipped off a new holiday top where it was supposed to keep the top on a hanger. Don't know about you but those loops are great in the shop for doing their job but they irritate me so I always snip the little perishers off  before wearing a new top:) And then, my sad gaze landed on a little pile of butterflies and die cuts sent to me by Sarn shortly before holiday (thank you again hun!) - and pink and teal just seemed right together:
I used:

- 6" x 6" white petal-scallop edged card stock

- pink paper from the snippets folder, with a strip down the inside edge of the card so it shows when the card is closed

- teal card from the snippets folder, embossed with a folder ('Flutterby' made by Craft Concepts) that just 'happened' to fall into my basket whilst ordering mundane things like cello bags at Handy Hippo the other day - no idea how that happened

- Pink and white embossed butterflies from Sarn

- pink and white labels, also from Sarn, stamped using part of a SU 'Petit Pairs' sentiment set. The outside sentiment says {no matter what} and I also stamped its pair which says 'I'm here for you' down at the bottom right of the inside - in SU 'Tempting Turquoise', love these cute little sentiments

- teal ribbon, plus some pinks from the ribbon box

- pink and teal Josy Rose nail heads on the butterflies and down the petal edge (snigger, one isn't set perfectly - oops!)

Here's also a tip, which loads of you might already know anyhow. My first attempt to emboss the teal card ended in the bin as I'd forgotten the neat trick of not butting the card right up into the folding part of the folder - just keep it about an eighth to a quarter of an inch away, making sure you'll still get the full pattern embossed, otherwise you risk a bit of a crease length ways down the card.

OK, onto a shorter roll call this week, after last week's marathon.

Elizabeth shot into the playground first, just after midnight, still clutching her mug of cocoa plus this totally gorgeous vintage style tent card. Some fabulous features, including a wonderful purple rose, bakers twine, doily, purple bling, handmade hat pins - and such a clever tip. A really delicate touch is the way Elizabeth also used some rose organza trim - I have quite a bit of this too and wouldn't have thought of Elizabeth's tip which is to make the card to fit the organza rose trim, rather than snipping through whole or part roses. Great idea Elizabeth!

Not far behind, almost hanging onto Elizabeth's pigtails, was Bernie - with this super quilt card. It's really pretty and was inspired by Bernie's visit to a quilting exhibition, the use of embossing to give the effect of hand quilting is great - and I love the butterfly and bling as a finishing touch too Bernie. I also loved the account of your hike through the snow - we're never happy with the weather here in the UK I know, but I bet a few of us wouldn't mind a hike in the snow right now :) Next time, Bernie brought such a clever card for her husband to celebrate their wedding anniversary - I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it but, if you know anyone who plays cards, this is truly great and one to remember, go here to see. So, so clever!!

Irene was next with a delightful birthday card which you can see here. All in lovely fresh pink and white - featuring an adorable Penny Black hedgie, so cute! I do love how Irene combined the white embossed panel with the lovely background papers - perfect Irene.

An update on our Mrs Spike here, she's taken the 'hump' while we were away and couldn't put fresh hedgie food out for her - little ingrate!! No sightings since we returned. Mind you, we do have a pair of blue tits sitting on eggs in the nest box - taking turns I think, one seems to sit while the other one goes out hunting and returning at intervals to feed its partner. No little chirps from the box as yet though :(

Sandra H arrived next, with a really elegant Sympathy card - never the easiest to make and this one is just right. Lovely soft colours, a really simple image and the finishing touches of a flower, card candi and a beautiful scrolled sentiment do make this a very appropriate card for a sad occasion. It's absolutely perfect Sandra.

We had two visits from Sally this week, firstly with these adorable New Baby cards, also for last week's Less Is More Challenge. Both in blues but very different, one is very calm and serene and the other one is just so flippin' cute! I love both of them for different reasons - do go and see for yourself. Then, Sally hopped back in with a really great card for a little girl, it reminds me so much of of Mia and her baking exploits :) To see, go here - isn't the image adorable, and I love the papers Sally. Making a rosette for the first time is on my 'to do' list - great result. Err, am not so sure about space hoppers in the playground though :)

Jules was next, with a stunning snippets card, featuring a cat with the most unnerving stare (fab image though, despite the stare, which is really how cats do look at you) and some amazing backing papers - many with a 'kitty' theme. Oh my, I just took a closer look, and Jules usual little heart (there's always one to find, which is part of the fun) even has a cat's paw print on it - now that's just super clever Jules!! Sigh, what I'd give to have a good old rootle round Jules' craft room.

Then, Hazel popped in bringing a set of cards, all the same. They're Christmas cards and have such a lovely vintage image of a sledging boy and girl on them - great backing papers and the addition of some Christmas trees is a lovely finishing touch. Our Hazel has been very quiet this week - I'm typing this at noon on Saturday (I know, should be in the garden soaking up some Vitamin D) - and am hoping Hazel doesn't arrive this afternoon or evening wheeling a barrow full of cards, having been on holiday or something :)

Mary Mac never disappoints with her makes (none of you do in fact!) - and firstly this week she brought a darling little cupcake box which you can see here. At the same time, do look at the super easel card Mary made, further down the same posting - so pretty, I love the colours and it's one to stand out in a crowd for sure. Then, Mary returned with a 'snot title'.....................sorry, that truly was a typo but I'm laughing so hard here I decided to let you see the stoooopid mistakes I make whilst typing, of course it should be a 'snow title' :)) Anyhow, wipes eyes and carries on, it's really great and worth hopping here over to see - and do scroll down to see the squirrel in Mary's garden, priceless!!

Next was Brenda, with a fabulous card - made by recycling two Christmas cards so cleverly. Looking at the two cards Brenda started out with I'd have never though they could be 'cannibalised' and one perfect snippets card made - but it works fantastically well. Brenda even hand cut the snowflakes from one of the cards - dedication over and above the call of duty girl! But worth it for the great result.

Linby arrived next with this gorgeous Oriental Fairy card. All in the most beautiful colours and with a load of fans that I reckon the playmates would be fighting over. It's so hot today and I'd love the fling the windows wide open in here or bring one of the electric fans in - but, trust me, I'd be buried under all the stuff which would be whipped up in the air from one very cluttered desk :) I do love all things Oriental and the image and papers are perfect, and the 'fortune cookie' is a really inspired finishing touch Lynn!

We had three visits from Sam, which always worries me as I listen for revving go-karts etc. First time Sam brought two really beautiful Diamond Anniversary cards - which I know had caused her some angst in the making. They're both perfect though and you can see them here. It was made even more tricky as both cards were for the same couple so had to be different - I love the flowers and diamantes Sam, great cards! Next Sam brought this Christmas Album, such a fabulous idea and so well thought out and put together. It's totally amaaaazing! So much work and such a fabulous keepsake too. I think it's got to be the snippets playground star of the week, and hope you all agree when you go to take a peek. I did warn Sam to watch that no-one dribbles their ice cream onto it or leaves grubby paw prints :) Really super special make Sam! Lastly, Sam returned with not one, but six really delightful pop up cards - totally fabulous as well. Such a clever style of cards - there are blues, pinks and purples to be seen if you pop over and take a peek. I love them.

Karen brought a terrific 'harmonica' card - featuring snowmen - with her this week. It really made me smile, it's such a happy card and the harmonica effect is great. Love the carrot noses on the snowmen and the blue base is just perfect Karen - I think I can work out how the base was made so that's another one to try sometime soon. Not sure about any baby ducks in the duckpond Karen though :(

Next was Rach, with a RSVP card which you can see here. It's just perfect (designed for a chap) and as Rach says, it's quite self-explanatory when you hop over to see - but the letters are just fabulous, super colour combination and a brilliant way to use up snippets Rach. The suggestion of rounders in this heat went down like a lead balloon didn't it?! Ha, today's post says that Rach is off out with the family in their boat - so before ANYONE gets any fancy ideas about the duck pond, no, no and no again!!

Carol nipped in next with this really cute card. I'd never thought of cutting felt using Nesties, great idea Carol. Love those Raspberry Road papers, am sure I have some hidden away, or just buried, here - and the fairy perched on a strawberry is just perfect, especially with those backing papers - love it! Carol also had a card showcased on Joanna Sheen's blog this last week - and rightly so too - hop over here to see what I mean. Lovely isn't it?

Next was Sarn, with a beautiful Thank You card - absolutely stunning Sarn. Really fresh white and turquoise using SU products to their best. I love everything about it Sarn, and you even added ribbon :) Those flowers from the Everything Eleanor set are adorable - sigh, I feel another order coming on! I just pressed my nose against the screen here and if those flowers were hand cut I think you and Brenda should take the 'champion snippers trophy' for this week!

And last, but by no means least was a new playmate - Lynn A. Welcome to the playground Lynn! Lynn brought a delightful card in all shades of lavender, in fact the flowers are lavender stems (one of my favourite fragrances) when you look closely - along with such a pretty butterfly, and a great layout. I spotted Lynn's blog when I was commenting on LIM cards and encouraged her to come and play so it would be really nice if you gals could hop over and say 'Hi'.

Mr Linky is below as usual. Hope you have a great week - the roll call will be done as usual next Sunday and please do remember to follow the conditions below.

Di
x

The only conditions to playing nicely in the Snippet Playground are that your card (or anything else you wish to bring here to show) must be made by using up snippets (card, paper, lace and ribbon are all fine), and a link back to here in your own blog posting will mean that you'll be included in the Weekly Roll Call. Oh, and no nipping or hair pulling of course :)    

22 comments:

  1. Very pretty card there Di. As for those ribbons, all the girls in the office have been trained to clip them and give them to me! If not and I see them poking out they are in danger of me snipping them off on the hoof! Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Di - love your card and your useful tip about the embossing folders.
    Hope you're enjoying this lovely sunshine - have a happy Sunday. Hugs, Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Di on this beautiful Sunday Morning hope your still having this lovely weather and your enjoying it as l know some people don't always like the sun..........not me!! lovely comments again Di thank you so much and a great card from you too! lovely embossing and a great tip thank you, love the border and the buterflies are just stunning great colours too they go so well together and sentiment another brilliant card for your amazing challenge l have just entered the playground and noticed Mrs A hasn't appeared yet is she still in bed......lol l'll be getting a telling off.....lol have a great day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know . .. it's 11.30 and I'm sitting inside on the pooter . . . but that's because I've come inside to cool down, having been messing about in the garden all morning.

    Really lovely butterfly card hon. The colours are fab. I'm glad you liked the butterfly die cuts and punch outs. Great EF too.

    I'm off for an ice cream! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Afternoon Di, and what a corker it is too - to hot for leaping around in the playground! Great card - I have that folder too and it's one of my favourites. Glad to see I'm not the only one that finds those ribbon loops a pain and snip them off ... and, like yours, they are often just the perfect width and colour for a project. Love the teal/pink colour combo. Didn't make first this week, had a wee hiccup in the production line, besides which I was just too tired to stay up after midnight :) Might be back through the week with another snippet ... will see how things go. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brilliant card Di, your colour combo is fabulous especially the blue. I love butterflies and these are brill. Thanks for the embossing tip. Just catching up as we have just arrived home from the caravan.
    My card will be with you shortly.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pink and teal. We just did a pink and gray challenge in one of my groups. Pink is just a fun color to pair up with something else. The butterflies with the embossed background are cool. I found my little basket of snippets on my desk this morning (whilst looking for something else, but I was pleased to see them. Anyway, it made me think of you and thought I should pop in. If I get caught up on some other things I will snippet for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning card! Teal is such a happy color I think, and with the pink & white combo, it really pops. Like the border with it also. Am trying to come into the playground again...hope I don't fall off the see-saw this time! Hope your Sunday has been relaxing. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Di, love the teal and pink together.
    Sorry I didn`t make it to the playground last week, just couldn`t get motivated. Will try harder this week miss, honest.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doc goes mad If he sees one of this ribbons poking out on me. Love the teal and pink combo. Am on my I pad at moment with very por converage so can't change link ups that I scheduled either.. On predictive text too and it's driving me nuts. Hugs mrs a

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card Di, another great write up, you must have the patience of a Saint.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a lovely snippet card Di and another great write up. I've topped the paddling pool up (no Mrs A I didn't wee in it!) in the hope we'll need it again this week. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colours Di, they really do go together well. Have I been sent to Coventry in the playground? I entered twice and can't see my name there at all in the Roll Call.....perhaps I missed it...if so could you point me in the right direction please???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen, yesterday's post re-iterated one of the few playground conditions which is that posts added to Mr Linky must also have a link to the playground in them on your own blog posting to be included in the weekly roll call. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Di! This weather is soo good it would be rude not to play in the Playground before Friday! Hee Hee! Boing Boing! Just like Tigger I like to bounce!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can hear the rude comment which is coming already! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet card, love the embossing. I've gone with butterflies this week too, and a choccy trip down memory lane.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another fab card Di, aren't those stampin up butterflies just great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sweet card Di. Love the embossing folder and butterflies, who could go wrong with butterflies. Is that pink I see? Very nice ribbon and the border, one I don't think I've seen before. As always....very nice! I'm going to skip into the playground and have a go at hop-scotch. Then I think a little nap is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous card Di, love the colours on this. I have finally sorted my snippets into a workable order so I am hoping i will be able to play along more. I have made three cards already this week lol. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the heads up on the link, think I have managed to do it right this time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Managed to link up properly this week using HTML code on my IPad. Phew ! Thought I might have to do a spell in the old tower after my previous exploit. Erm, does the moat have water in it and they don't still use the ducking stools do they? help!!!!!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.