Saturday 12 May 2012

Peach Crumble Cake and a top 5 over at Less Is More


Sorry, this is a day late and I hope it was worth waiting for, it's a cake which can also be a pudding. Serves 12 for a cake and 6 for a pudding:
Peach Crumble Cake

350g (12oz) self-raising flour
2 level tsp mixed spice
175g (6oz) butter, cut into pieces
150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
8 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
415g can peaches in syrup, drained
Icing sugar, for dusting

18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) tin, lined with baking parchment

Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Put the flour and spice into a food processor with the butter. Pulse to form crumbs.

Add the sugar and 3 tbsp of the buttermilk. Pulse to make a very coarse, clumpy crumble. Tip out into a bowl, then put two-thirds of the mixture back in the food processor and set aside the rest.

Add the remaining buttermilk and the vanilla extract to the mixture in the processor and blend to a smooth consistency. Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top.

Arrange the drained peaches evenly over the cake mixture, then spoon on the reserved clumpy crumble, leaving some of the fruit uncovered.

Bake for 50 mins (see note below) or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake mixture comes out clean.

Cut into chunky slices and dust with icing sugar to serve

Things I do: 
Firstly, and most importantly, this is a Woman's Weekly recipe and I struggled with the timing given - and it seems I'm not alone, given comments on their website. The 20 minutes in the original recipe is certainly not long enough - it's more like 50 minutes, you just have to keep checking. I hate not being able to give precise timings but larger cakes do depend on the important skewer test. I hope this won't put you off trying as it's a really yummy cake - next time I'm going to make it as a dessert when friends come round. I reckon it can be made in advance and gently reheated when cut into portions in the microwave.
Do line your baking tin, even if it's non-stick - because it's a long quite flat bake it's tricky to handle when removing from the tin. I didn't bother dusting it with icing sugar BTW.
You can substitute any canned fruit you fancy, I've wondered about pineapple chunks, rhubarb (could be a bit too wet) or pears - but sliced peaches work perfectly and the two-legged mouse says he can't imagine other fruits so will I 'please not play around' with the recipe :)
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've ever used buttermilk - I had to search for it in the supermarket.......... it's where the fresh cream is on display :)
Enjoy!

Stop Press - OMGosh - I made the Less Is More Top 5 with this:

I'm truly 'pickled tink' as they say, thank you so much Chrissie and Mandi :)
Di
x

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic card Di... no wonder you made the top 5... Beautiful..
    thanks for the recipe it looks soooo good! Have a happy Saturday hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making the top 5 Di, very well deserved too. Loving the cake, do you think hubbie will make it for me? Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little trumpets were destined to be up there with the best Di :-)
    Love the sound of that cake....I don't make a lot of cake....cos I just have to eat it if I do :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Di

    Lovely recipe, it will be going on my 'to do list'. It's quite similar to one l make called Blueberry Strussel cake but that has ground and flaked almonds and obviously blueberries. I also have a rhubarb crumble cake recipe but as you can it's a little wet.

    You deserve your win, the card is beautiful. Well done

    Hope you are well, have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your win, it is a gorgeous card so well deserved! M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on having your card showcased at LIM - what an honour but there is no hope for me there, I just don't seem able to stop at CAS, sigh. The cake recipe is terrific ... love peaches baked in a pudding. Interesting that the timing seems to be out ... I have a fan-assisted oven and also a combination microwave so for me all timings are experimental, what goes for one certainly does not go for the other. Thanks for your comment on my vintage card ... I will most definitely take a look at Cardmakers Delight as suggested ... what with Stickeroos and now this, you are not good for my pocket :) Enjoy the weekend. Hugs, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nom Nom Nom and Well Done!! Can you send me a slice please miss!! Pwetty Please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't you do well. This is lovely and well worth it. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I for one was very pleased that the Friday feast was delayed as I have seen enough food to last me a lifetime but this looks really good.
    Wonder what it would be like with strawberries?

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Di

    Congratulations on your Top 5 place .. .. lovely card and a well deserved win!

    Your cake looks and sounds yummy too.

    Hope you are having a good weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must try this one Di , your recipes are fab , your card is gorgeous I love the stamping how lovely what a fabulous creation , well done . Enjoy the rest of your weekend Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well the crumble cake looks FAB and so does your LIM card.

    Thoroughly well-deserved top 5 spot for you . . . it's a delightful card. Congrats.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adored this card of yours Di and was delighted to see it being show-cased! Thank you for the celebratory peach crumble cake recipe - it looks fab and I can't wait to try it! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like the sound of this cake Di, love peaches. If you like ginger, peach and ginger go very well together too. And congrats on the Top 5 at LIM, I saw that yesterday when I checked out their new challenge. Lovely card.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recipe Di, Mmm!
    Congratulations on getting top 5 xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.