Friday 3 May 2013

Upcycling with ribbon and a bow

Rushing into Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge a bit last minute - where this week's theme is to add ribbon and/or a bow. Bit up my street that one :)
I used:

- a white DL card

- SU's 'Always Artichoke' card stock

- a Christmas card from 2012. I chopped it across where the image and pattern met, then chopped some of the rather expansive white background off above the image as it seemed unbalanced to me. After attaching the two pieces of the chopped up Christmas card to the green background I was left (deliberately) with a gap of about quarter of an inch between the two parts - but me had plans for that :)

- then stuck a snippet of red card across the gap and added red velvet ribbon (salvaged from a Christmas gift bag). The red card was to hide the fact that, despite being velvet, the pattern from the card stock showed through - obviously not your top notch velvet then!

- then wrapped red organza ribbon over the velvet, made an organza  bow using the bow maker and stuck that on with hot glue - which promptly fell off! Out came the bottle of 'Hi-Tack Glue' to the rescue

I did discover that it's easy to get the crossing over/tying process on the bow maker not quite right so, if you're struggling, do read the instructions or check online.

And another one done for the box - which in fact only has about 25 Christmas cards in so it's time to step up the game a bit here and do some batches all the same :( Crumbs, I truly thought I'd made a lot more than that! Perhaps you should join me over at Hazel's?

This card is also for Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for May, where it's always 'anything goes', so long as it's Christmassy of course.

Di
x

14 comments:

  1. This one look great!
    I think you are doing great with 25 in the box all finished up and ready to go!!!
    Love the use of Upcycling here. You did a great job and the bow looks tied beautifully.
    I haven't used the bowmaker but notice that most of the wonderfully tied bows list it on their recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please Miss I got that card in my stash too. Just checked and yes have to agree it is a little white top heavy. Good job I didn't make a card for Hazel's with it otherwise we might have been put in detentshun for collusion! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, lovely image and great idea to put that beautiful ribbon on. Wow 25 cards, I would be so pleased if that was me as so far I have made 0 lol. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Di, love the bow and image
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another gorgeous card Di......I have to be honest and say my box is empty and will remain so til at least November :-)
    Hugs,
    A x
    ps check out my Friday's post today....chuckle guaranteed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice festive card here Di. Gosh . . . a challenge making you use ribbon???? I'm outta here . . . . xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and card. You are way ahead of me lovely. I planned to get some done but I've not got there yet, I will! Take care Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card, Di, and how you constructed it made an interesting read ... the lengths you will go to :))

    Your card count had me checking just how many I have in stock - only 25 and I could have sworn I'd more than that too! However, it isn't July yet, so no need to panic until then.

    Have a lovely day, Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. And what a bow this is Di! I do love reading how you made the cards too! Remember that you have 25 very special cards in your box and you can always make some simpler batch cards later - I think you're well on top of it all! Vicky x
    PS No I didn't just go inside - give Tuppence an inch and she takes a mile! She's a BOLD cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I thought this was the SU stamp with the bird on the holly. Reading down the post corrected that misassumption. Very creative way to adapt this old card as you did, and the organza over velvet ribbon over c/s to cover the join - great idea. Thanks for passing along. Love my birds & holly. Good luck in the challenge. Gotta get over to check around if I can squeeze in a few minutes to surf! Happy weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very elegant and classy, Di - love it - thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic card Di, love the image and the papers hiding at the bottom, fabulous bow.

    Struggling with the bow maker, I have 2 and a bowdabra, can't use either of them, back to 'bunny ears' here.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty is your card Di such a lovely image l do like Robins on a card and your ribbon is lovely too x

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful card and i love the sweet image :) so glad you linked up with CHNC Extra this month
    Rose GD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.