Monday 27 May 2013

The card that soooooo nearly ended up in the bin, more than once!

I must be totally barking, woke up with an idea for a card and come Hell or high water set out to make it - despite a million and one other things to do:
Having coloured the image I set out to die cut it, and blow me - the die hadn't cut right through. I sat and gawped at the thing for ages thinking there was no way I'd be able to align it into the intricate die again, then I noticed that at least either end was cut, so I did this:

Snipped down to where the die had actually done its job and then:
Replaced the die with the scrolls all lined up again and they then slotted back into the die. Cool huh - so then ran it through the Cuttlebug again (said like Forrest Gump - 'Agaaaaaain')  and then my hawk eyes here noticed this:
You have to look really closely, but that die is so flipping detailed the little holes which look like they've been pierced weren't re-cut spot on so I ended up with multiples, sigh, although the rest of the die was fine. Almost ran round the walls in frustration until I thought of a cunning plan - run a line of 'Stickles' over the pierced pattern. Whoopee thought I, on a roll here gal.................not always the case :(

Set about making the card - in fact it's part made above 'cos I never play with Stickles or GlossyAccents before assembling a card. In some ways that might not be for the best - but that's the way I do it - then the card is put to one side out of reach of my elbow/sleeve/ hair or whatever to dry!

NEXT problem - I ran the image, now already die cut, through the Xyron  (oh you wondrous attacher of a sticky back covering) - sigh, and just couldn't get the sort of 'extra whispers' of adhesive off the flipping card and between the scroll bits. Sheesh - by now I really WAS running round the walls, and doing back flips as well :(

Card ready for the bin yet again - until I remembered something I got not that long ago and keep forgetting I have:
It's a Stampin' Up 'adhesive remover' (am I on commission here?) - works like an eraser - and it's marvellous! To be honest it looks just like a piece of sole from a Clarks children's sandal (anyone remember those from childhood - I hated new sandals 'cos they had such white soles and I loved sandals when they grew yellow like this little baby?) This has to be the best £3.25 I've spent on craft stuff for a looooooong time.

So, after that things went fine - and there's another card for Rach's box to raise RNLI funds.

I used, if by now you can even remember what the finished card looks like:

- 6" x 6" square white card stock

- pale green patterned paper from the assorted pack that Kay sent me - I go to this so many times, thank you Kay!

- the backing card is my own make - couldn't find the right shade of peach card so coloured round the edge of a square with a 'Peach' Pro Marker colour from the image- good tip which I bet loads of us use :)

- stamped image of a perfume bottle - bought from the internet a while ago with no manufacturer or name, sigh - so I call it 'Unknown' in my little filing system:). Coloured with Pro Markers then tickled with Glossy Accents and Stickles (Coffee Ice) - and also uesd the same Stickles to the 'mistook' on the die cutting :)

-  oval silver foiled sentiment from Craftwork  Cards, mounted onto a larger punched SU oval, which was also coloured  with 'Peach' Pro Marker

- some icy white pearls to finish - did you know just how many shades of white pearls there are?!?!

After that little lot I went and had a lie-down to recover :(

But, after all the angst - I actually really quite like the little beast!

Di
x

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I think I would have gone back to bed for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Di had to chuckle at your story!!

    ... and yes been there done that with the die cut as have the Spellbinder fleur de lis rectangles and they have the same issue.

    It is relative to pressure on the plate as it goes the through.

    Though okay for most dies it is not for these intricate ones.

    So IF able put through horizontally though machine and then vertically through and should over come it as dont have a Krylon dont have the other problem :D

    I hope to join the playground this week God willing.. wish could send our weather your way..

    it is so lovely again today - we had some rain so now can really enjoy the sun as it was getting dry, love Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, aside from your SO beautiful card, you did my heart good with your backstory! Had you not told 'all', I would never have guessed all the trials you had with this. It's gorgeous. This particular die can cause some blue air words, but it really is lovely. You did a fine recovery, and as I said, no one would know. Great job, and tfs all of it! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh can I feel your pain. I'm so glad you stayed with it....cause look at the beauty you created. Good job Miss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Di,
    I have one trick for all dies with litte peaces-try
    I put on the end plastic foglia-thin layer, paper then die
    It work for me-I had the same problems like you with Marianna dies,
    Card is beautiful,
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Di

    What a fabulous card and your determination is brilliant, well done for sticking with it. Thank you for the little tip abhout the SU eraser (watch out for the postman LoL)
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh waht a story...how frustrating for you...I have lined up the edges...taped them down and cranked them through again and had them cut just slightly off...I try to stick a greeting over it!

    Your card is pretty and such a great cause. My daughter has a framed picture of the Filey lifeboats hanging in her foyer! It was a wedding gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card and your story had me in chuckles I'm afraid, so much determination. Sending hugs. xx Flora

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I deffo would've given up and binned it . . . but I'm very glad YOU persevered as the result looks GREAT!

    Here's to happy accidents eh?

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful result for all that trauma. Those adhesive rubbers are great for getting rid of som many bits. The other thing that does work is my Derwent electric eraser/rubber. It goes so fast that it removes most stuff and is very accurate. I do so remember those Clarks sandals, and I loved it when I was allowed to have the cherry red ones. Do you remember putting your feet into the XRay machine to have the size checked to make sure your toes were not cramped up? I hope your card raises lots of money for the RNLI - they need every penny. xx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need a lie down now Di and I've only been reading what you had to do to make it lol
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done for persevering, the result was well worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phewwww I would have given up! Was wondering if I should get one of those adhesive removers? Guess I will now :-)Great card. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Di, Not good!! although in the end its lovely your card is stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so feel your pain Di!! I have one of those rubbers and they have come in handy on a few occasions...when I remember I have it!!
    Beautiful card though!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you didn't give up on this! It's gorgeous! Wish I'd seen you doing flips!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.