Tuesday 24 July 2012

Tuesday Tale - rhubarb anyone?

I was reminded of today's Tuesday Tale the other afternoon, whilst pulling a load of rhubarb from the garden.
We love rhubarb here, but my Dad absolutely hated it for some reason and always referred to it as 'bloodshot celery' :)

When I was about eight years old we lived in Germany and my Mum was unexpectedly rushed into hospital, leaving us to fend for ourselves. The suddenness had meant that no preplanning had been done on the home front by Mum of course. Also, the hospital was some distance away so I didn't see her for the whole time she was hospitalised.

Mum was in hospital for about three weeks and, when she was almost well enough to leave hospital, she was asking  Dad how he was coping with running the home. He blithely said 'No worries, we're absolutely fine. Eating well and Diane is clean and tidy for school'. Bless him  - I suppose he wasn't telling fibs, although his head was stuck somewhere either in the sand or even worse - and of course I wasn't with him to 'snitch'. Then he added 'You know though, I think we need to talk about your grocery shopping. I truly don't understand why it costs so much'.

Came the grand return home and I think Mum almost had a relapse :( Of course I'd been kept clean and tidy for school, but by then I don't think there was much in the line of fresh clothing - in fact I was probably destined to be wearing Dad's underpants if things had gone on much longer. So, there was a Chinese laundry's worth of washing and ironing to catch up on.

Then Mum opened the fridge - empty - so she went to check the pantry - empty. No wonder Dad thought Mum was being extravagant with the groceries, all he'd bought was fresh milk, bread and perhaps fresh meat and eggs. Absolutely everything else has been cleared out of the fridge, kitchen cupboards and the pantry - talk about Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard! Tea, sugar, coffee, every can, jar, bottle, most packets - you name it - gone!

Then something caught her eye in the vegetable rack - yup, a big bundle of 'bloodshot celery', by now totally limp and looking very sorry for itself. Apparently that had been destined for a pie the day Mum unexpectedly went into hospital - but Dad hated it so much he couldn't even bring himself to touch it and throw it out :(

I'm not sure he was ever allowed to live one that down. Another time, remind me to tell you about the roasting tin debacle.

My 'rhubarb pink' card for today is below :)

Di
x

13 comments:

  1. That's why men NEED us women! They truly can't cope without us can they? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love rhubarb, as you can probably tell from the wafflings on my blog! LOL! In fact, I bought some on the weekend for some crumble! Nom Nom!
    I am with Sandra on the Men cannot cope without us! In fact, I am thinking of coming back as a man next time round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really can't manage without us - they just don't see the world in the same way! can just see that rhubarb now... mmm lovely rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those were the days, so happy things have moved on and I have a husband that does the shopping, cooks most of the meals and does the ironing too! Think I should rent him out!! They make strawberry and rhubarb pie over here, absolutely delish!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    PS. Thanks for the stamp name yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to say I'm up there with your Dad on that one Di. Jo loves it but I hate the stuff....it sets my teeth on edge just thinking about it.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never a lover for rhubarb either other than rubarb & custard boiled sweets oh l could eat one of them now...lol great story Di l always love to tune in on a Tuesday enjoy your day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can smell that lovely rhubarb cooking now. I love it, but sadly it is one of the few fruits that just doesn't grow in Spain. Very occasionally I see some in the market - a British man brings it over to sell each time he comes here - and I have to buy some even though it costs an arm and a leg. In UK I had so much in garden I couldn't even give it away.
    My dad was much the same when Mum went into hospital, but fortunately my sister was just old enough to keep some semblance of tidiness and cleanliness at home. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love rhubarb, it reminds me of my Grandad who grew it.

    When we were kids, my Mum was ill in bed and Dad made us mashed potato, it was grey and lumpy! Strange thing is, now, he does all the cooking for my Mum.

    Thanks for the tale Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. too funny Di! I loved rhubarb the way my grandma fixed it but haven't been able to find any fixed that way since she died. Everything tastes bitter or over sugared! THanks for sharing the memories. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  10. many years ago gran & grandad went on hols and left their youngest son and daughter to fend for themselves, gran left them the housekeeping money with a shopping list - needless to say they spent the housekeeping on partying and fed themselves on rhubarb from the garden all week - happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely LOVED this story, and especially at this particular moment in my life! Doesn't sound like men have changed much in the years, based on what I see here at my house! Your Dad was right on target with the 'bloodshot celery'. How apt a description. Thanks for sharing the memory. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, but I have some catching up to do after my PC failing earlier this week - it's now repaired and behaving as though it had never sent me into a state of driveling, sobbing idiot thinking I'd lost all my pictures!

    Your story reminds me that I found myself in the same position as your mother after a hospital visit when my, then, husband accused me of much the same thing ... profligacy with the housekeeping!

    Rhubarb is another of those Marmite things - you either love or you hate it. I love it, especially in a crumble.

    Two fab cards in your previous posts - like the pink/black combo too.

    Just don't get your photo taken in the next few weeks while your hair grows again ... that way, you'll never have anything to remind you :))

    Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your trips down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.