Sunday 15 July 2012

Pixies Crafty Snippets Challenge - 29

Snippets card first I think - and I did have fun making it. I rootled though the snippets folder - it's all divided into colours and of course the pink slot is just bulging, how did that happen then, huh, huh? So, some little pieces of pink paper were extracted and cut into strips - and this was the end result:
 Yay, paper weaving :) Just to prove I'm not cheating, this is part of the process:
Looks a mess in progress for sure. One thing I used, which is a huge help, is a Dovecraft Easy Fix Repositional Tape Runner - and that's a real mouthful to say in a hurry. It meant that I could just run a square of the 'glue' onto a piece of card, lay all the strips one way and then if need be I could gently lift them to do the weaving but it was tacky enough to hold the strips in place when needed. Great stuff - I think I bought it at Art of Craft.

My original intention was just to have a plain white card with the heart on, but it was going to look too stark so I used just the front of the card above and then layered it onto raspberry backing card and then onto another card.

I used:

- 6" x 6" white square card stock with a petal scalloped edge

- four different patterned papers from the snippets folder, cut into half inch wide strips

- heart shaped Nesties, the plain one to cut the apertures and the same plain one plus a larger scalloped one to cut the pink frame (another snippet of course)

- raspberry card - in fact it's called 'Rose Red' by SU, both to use as a mat and also a deckle edged strip behind the petals on the back part of the inside of the card

- the finishing touch was a row of punched paper hearts along the petalled edge, and just a few added to the palest of the pink paper strips in the heart itself

Well, it's been a bit of a week here in the playground. First of all, our playmate Mary H is 'missing in action' right now - recovering from an Achilles tendon repair - ouch! Do hop over here to say 'Hi' and also to read about how she's coping, wise girl has set herself up in the basement with craft stuff, her laptop, real books plus her Kindle and plenty of DVDs to hand. I won't publish it here but her email account of the shenanigans needed to do something as simple as going to the loo did make me laugh. I've been down that road so know that panties, hopping on one leg and being in a hurry aren't a good combination! Hope you're soon well on the mend Mary - but no skipping right away OK?

Also, the great news is that our Bernie's Jim is back out of hospital - brilliant news! Here's to his recovery and also take some time to relax a bit now Bernie, it's been a stressful time we know.

And, Hazel is battling on with this wretched bout of shingles - get well soon Hazel!

Roll call time:

First was Sandra H, celebrating her birthday with this lovely card.  It's very elegant and perfect for last week's Less Is More 'Use Gold' challenge - love the way you used peel offs Sandra, obviously you have a better class of peel offs than I do here :) Hope you had a brilliant birthday - lots of yummy cake and hopefully some new crafting goodies to play with too!

Rach was next, with such a joyous card - filled with fabulous butterflies which look almost as if they're soraring off the card at you. Wonderful colours and I just love the way the sizes and colours are so perfectly laid out Rach - a real stunner! I do so love the SU set you've used and you obviously put a lot of thought into achieving such a carefree look - not an easy thing to do!

Next came Brenda - with this terrific Christmas card, white on white and such a fabulous reindeer stamp. It's true what Brenda said, amazing just how many shades of white there are - I seem to recall that white does have the greatest range of shades when you're doing house decorating - even if it's classed as pure white. 

Lynne then brought along such a happy Birthday card - love the colours of the gerberas and the zig zag borders are beautifully matched and such a great finishing touch Lynne! I'm not surprised that the stamp is one of your favourites - so versatile and you can colour it in so many great colours.

Next was Irene, with this really elegant card, sigh - Irene's cards are always so elegant! A lot of work has obviously gone into the card, that's plain from the information Irene has helpfully given - yet the overall effect is simplicity with real impact. Love the flower Irene and the tiny little heart you used on the wording is just perfect!

Jules was next, still ultra-busy making wedding orders but just see what a super card she brought to show us. Such a great Wedding Anniversary card - love the papers and colours and the paper piecing is fabulous Jules. I managed to find a few hearts without any trouble too :) I just re-read Jules posting and had a real giggle - Len refers to my craft room as the Tardis as well!

Beth came back to pay us another visit, with this adorable card. You sure cracked use of snippets Beth - do go and see girls, isn't the patchwork effect great. And, Beth has also helpfully provided a link so you can see where to buy the die and stamp set. This reminded me of some patchwork cushion covers I started to make well over 30 years ago, still unfinished at that!

Hazel did manage to come and play a few times this week - despite the shingles. Sometimes keeping busy can help I know, and as always we had some great cards. Firstly, a romantic card (made in between watching last week's Men's Wimbledon Final, sob, sob) - super roses (both the red and then the pink ones) and I adore the Martha Stewart border punch! Next, there was a little flurry on Friday and Saturday - this card is just gorgeous, Raspberry Road backing papers (I've got these and really must set to and use them instead of looking at them and just stroking them!), a doily, lace and such a pretty PB stamped image. Then we had this little cutie to kick-start Hazel's latest Christmas Card Challenge which is to use at least one star on your card  - followed by another 'stars' card - fabby papers and I love the bemused expression on the reindeer's face Hazel :)

Elizabeth's little trotters are improving thankfully and she came to sit quietly on the swings with this really beautiful Christmas card. The main basis is a Rowan (Mountain Ash) branch image but do go and look to see all the amazing work that's gone into making it - my description can't do it justice, there's so much to see and it all goes together brilliantly Elizabeth! And we had another visit later in the week too, this time with such a pretty ATC - using TH's fabby new Spring Distress Inks to their very best. I totally love it Elizabeth, just wish I could made ATCs anywhere near as well and the photos of your trip out to Kelburn are fabulous - that's some graffiti!

Amanda came to play twice this week - firstly with a really cute Christmas card, featuring Chester the Monkey :) Love the way the colouring is so perfectly matched to the backing papers - and such a shame they don't seem to be around any longer :( And then we had another cutie, also a Christmas card and in similar colours to the Chester card - but so different. I've noticed that Amanda often gives us a heads up on sales in the craft world by the way, thanks for that honey! Mind you, I can also name a few others who do the same - I often wonder, if I wasn't blogging and seeing all the lovely products, as well as ignoring emails with hints and tip-offs in, would we be able to eat more than bread and jam here? :)

A new playmate, Lindsey, joined us this week - with this delightful card. It's lovely, using the colour combination of red, yellow and neutral so cleverly. I especially like the SU embossing folder which truly looks like hessian on Lindsey's card. And on a second visit, this was the lovely fresh and clean card that Lindsey brought - talk about thinking outside the box. I discovered a new use for the scalloped SU pennants punch! 

Victoria came to play twice this week - both times with really lovely cards. The first one is here - so fresh looking and using four 1" square snippets of patterned SU card perfectly. A real case of Less Is More winning the day here - I love it and am sure it's a design we could all put to good use without the need for really fancy dies or exotic punches, although a corner rounder is (I think) a must have in any self-respecting card makers toolkit. And next, how about this card? I confess I read the Top Tip about the punched template a few times before Mrs Potato Head here fathomed out what Victoria had done - such precision work to line everything up honey, I'd have a bin full of wrecked cards!! Again, such pretty SU papers Victoria - and of course you can have an extra go on the slide!

Sarn brought 'Pom Pom' to play this week -  what an adorable card, and the LOTV 'Pom Pom image is soooo cute Sarn', it's one of my favourite stamps too. Love the mauves you used and as always a really fresh and clean looking card - sigh, even down to the lovely stamping along the top and bottom edges which pulls it all together beautifully. I'm sitting here, while it teems down with rain outside, typing away and grinning as I'm hard pressed to imagine any of you little monkeys looking so innocent - unless you'd been up to mischief already of course. Lovely card Sarn!

Next, we had a visit from Mary Mac - who by now should be back home from her epic trip - her lovely card, made at a friend's house, is here. What a fabulous colour and such a pretty card Mary! Some great photos to see (including wedding ones) and also of the World's biggest ball of twine if you haven't already hopped by to say Hi to Mary! Hope to see you back in the playground this week - especially now you're back home with all your beloved crafting tools to hand Mary :)

Aw, next was Sam with such a pretty layout - and she brought her 'little angel Lucy' the Yorkshire Terrier to play as well. What an adorable puppy she was Sam, she must have been an absolute delight. Great photo of Sam - and yay, pink on the layout including such lovely flowers, butterflies, and lace. Do hop by for a look if you haven't been already - I bet Lucy would melt the heart of anyone, and it's a rather smashing photo of you at 16 too Sam :)

Darnell came to play next, with a card to have us in the UK sighing - a flipping big sun, and the sentiment saying 'Live in the Sunshine' - oh for half a chance Darnell! Great use of punched snippets to make the sun, and such fabulous bright colours - and perfect composition (get me, what would I really know, but it strikes me as perfect!). Also, some fabby photos of different birds to be seen to do go and see, Thanks Darnell - it's the closes thing to sun a lot of us over here have seen for a while - no wonder we Brits moan about the weather :(

And, Gilly is back with us after all the excitement of her wedding!  And such a gorgeous Christmas card too, just perfect for this week's Winter Wonderland challenge which is to use a sentiment as a focal point on your card. And this card certainly does exactly that - beautifully made Gilly and the holly and ribbon are absolutely perfect!! So, where are those wedding photos then? Tappity, tap, tapping on your screen from a few of us :)

So, that's the roll call - now for the Pro Marker Draw. Scurries off for sunhat ...... Lynne's name was picked by Len - well done Lynne!! Do let me know which set you'd like, along with your snail mail address and they will be in the post this coming week.

Mr Linky is below as usual and the playground will close at noon on Saturday 21st July. Hope you have a great week and please remember to follow the conditions below. 

Di
x

The only conditions to playing nicely in the Snippet Playground are that your card (or anything else you wish to bring here to show) must be made by using up snippets (card, paper, lace and ribbon are all fine), and a link back to here in your own blog posting will mean that you'll be included in the Weekly Roll Call. Oh, and no nipping or hair pulling of course :) 

25 comments:

  1. Oh Di, your card is so pretty and romantic! And I'm so impressed that your snippets are so organised - mine are shoved higgledy-piggledy into a bulging shoe-box!

    Note to self: Must buy more shoes.

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Di. Love the weaving, not tried it myself... yet.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Di

    Your card is gorgeous, I love the paper weaving - you are so clever.
    I must give this a try. The heart is brilliant, I especially like the hearts at the bottom of the card. Just perfect and romantic.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the paper-weaved card Di. Never tried it as it looks SOOOOOO fiddly.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Di, love the weaving and all it's pinkness.

    Happy Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. H Di

    What a fantastic finished look .. .. all that weaving was well worth it!!

    I bet you ended up with even smaller snippets though at the end LOL!!

    Of course choosing a heart shape was always going to grab my attention.

    Thanks for another brilliant roll-call. I'll be back later.

    Have a great Sunday.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Di, Brilliant card and lovely colour too, l reckon your pink snippets colour folder is the largest of all the colours! have a great day and thank you for your lovely comments l'll be back laters!!:)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di,
    your card is fabulous as always. That weaving is very effective. I haven`t done that for ages but might have to have another go after seeing yours.
    I read the roll call earlier this morning but forgot to look at the prize winner (Doh). Thank Len for picking me won`t you. I`m so excited!
    I`ll e mail you with my addy. Thanks again
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another smashing roll call, Di, that has got us all grinning!! Your woven heart is simply wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card and great roll call. Will be round to look at everyone's posts later. Going to take advantage of the DRY weather first!
    I should have linked this yesterday but due to the ferocious storm on Friday night we had no internet or TV from about 10pm Friday to some time after I left the house yesterday. By the time I got back you had shut the gates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Di this is simply beautiful! Love the weaving and the little hearts. I'll be back to play soon, hopefully I can drag some sunshine along with me. We certainly have enough to share.
    Love & Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific card, love the weaving, bet it was a tad tricky and of course the lovely pink.
    Have a good week.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the woven ribbon on your card - beautiful. Thanks for another fab roll call and for your get well wishes for me (I wish I could say I'm much better, but ...). I thought I'd come and have a gentle go on the swings, but it will have to be gentle x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clever bit of weaving there missus.
    Pink too. Yep. The Wimp has surfaced but seems to have acquired a nervous tic in his eye and the other eye is on constant lookout duty. Now is not a good time to let him know he will be on food timers again next week!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. p.s. And he has to go to the vets for a blood test too !!! Darn. Was that the cat flap I just heard go. Cats who'd have em. Hugs Me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the weaving Di, such a good effect

    ReplyDelete
  17. Doh! forgot to add the link to my card, what am i like lol. Love the card by the way, what a fab idea to weave the strips. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to love weaving as a child! I remember making loads of weaved pictures for my mum, might have to try it out again! You will be pleased to hear I have organised my snippets today into a colour coordinated folder :)
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Di,

    I'm just getting around to read the, as always, delightful roll call! Your weaved heart is amazing, such a lot of work! Thanks for the tip on the tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Right Miss. Done as I was told Miss!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the link. I will try and join in next week.
    Your card is lovely. I haven't done paper weaving in a long time. Better than Iris Folding I think.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Di, I can't believe it, I almost didn't make it along to the playground at all this week! Your card is very pretty ... the only paper weaving I've ever done was for the layout our of our wedding and I vowed I would never try it again ... actually, it was a case of trying to run before I could walk as it was my very first crafting project ever!!! Great roll call, as ever :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just skipped in with 'The Wimp' in tow. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh bum....I keep forgetting to come over and add my card to the playground!!!
    I hope you are all ok and I will be back to play soon, memory permitting lol xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.