Friday 6 July 2012

Friday Feast - Rumblethumps

I found this recipe in a woman's magazine a little while ago, reprinted from 1982. It's the name that initially appealed to me I must admit, as well as using great yet simple ingredients. Apparently (I bet Elizabeth will confirm this) it's a Scottish dish, I made it for the first time the other evening and it's delicious, real comfort food:
Rumblethumps

Serves six

500g (1lb) cabbage, finely shredded
1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
Salt and ground black pepper
60g (2oz) butter
500g (1lb) mashed potato (use just over 500g/1lb potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed, or use leftover mash)
125g (4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated

Large ovenproof dish, buttered

Set oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.

Mix cabbage, onion and seasoning in a large buttered ovenproof dish.
 
Pour in 150ml (1⁄4 pint) water, and dot with butter (I used Flora Light instead of butter). Spoon potato over evenly, then sprinkle with cheese.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve with sausages, if you like.
 
Things I did: nothing different really, although I didn't read the number of people it serves so I made the whole whack!  It really would serve six quite adequately. Half a cabbage wouldn't be easy to buy these days anyhow so I kept half and just reheated it, covered in foil, in the oven the following evening. The first evening we had it with sausages and then the next evening with thick cut ham and a fried egg each - oink, oink! I could only find white cabbage in the supermarket and it was just fine, although I reckon that a dark green Savoy cabbage would be really nice too.

Enjoy!

Di
x

15 comments:

  1. Strange that it's Scottish as it reminds me of colcannon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe name intrigued me, so of course I had to read the ingredients. Sounds yummy...and seems to be something I could make (and be successful :-)!). Would be a great fall dish on my side of the pond. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds just the trick on a wet day like today Di. It's already been raining for hours and they say it's only gonna get worse!
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That name would have caught my eye too. Chris would love this. he is a real cabbage fan! I shall copy it and put it in my file for around October time. This is cold meat and salad season out here! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very tasty Di and a weird coincidence as l bought some from Sainsburys the other day. I was drawn by the name and even though it was a convience, it was gorgeous. Will defo be having a go at your recipe. TFS.

    It's nearly the weekend :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a bit of cabbage and a few tatties to use up here so this might be just the ticket! Good timing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, yum that looks gorgeous, I enjoy reading and licking the screen on Fridays as there is always something yummy, so long as there isn't any prawns of course. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo . . .that looks delish. Another one to try out. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning Di, That looks delicious! although like you say the name isn't appitising but it sure does look good another yummy enjoy your day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again Di, I almost got totally distracted by your cute Christmas card below because, purely coincidentally, I've just printed off a digi image that is very similar ... evidence, I think, of two great minds thinking alike :))

    On to Rumblethumps ... my Scottish cookery book informs me that "it is a Borders recipe which can be varied in many ways and is often called bubble and squeak". I do not recollect my mother ever calling the dish Rumbledethumps even though my gran and great-grandmother were both from Hawick, in the Borders!

    I see your recipe has got cheese on it - what luxury!!! My recipe uses 4oz of butter to the to 1lb of shredded cabbage and mashed potato. The cabbage is cooked in half the butter first and then the mashed potato is mixed in with 4 chopped spring onions and the rest of the butter, seasoned to taste ... and that is it ... oh, you're not going to believe this but my cookery book was written by Christopher TROTTER - reference to feet are getting everywhere!?!?

    Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, do you know I think that I will definately give this a try and I think I will try it with bacon not sausage and I would use sweetheart cabbage.
    One of our all time family favorite meals is .. new potatoes, cabbage and bacon, drizzled with butter, I am told it is very Irish.
    To be quite honest and dreadfully unhealthy when we were little it was drizzled with the bacon fat. sooooooooooo tasty, dare not do it these days though, health reasons and not to mention what the heck the white stuff is that comes when cooking the bacon.

    Have a great weekend Di, today we have had, cats and dogs, stair-rods and men, all raining down on us. The garden is suffering but the slugs and snails are out in force.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm! I may well try that very soon! Sounds good. I had heard of it before, but didn't realise the Scottish roots

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so decadently delicious! I think the name would describe my intestional noises afterwards, but so worth it!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic dish Di, great for the cooler months over here and also a great way perhaps of using up leftovers too? We used to have bubble and squeak when I was a kid, it was always the Monday after a roast on Sunday and would use the left over mashed taties, left over cabbage and some fresh onion. Basically all cooked together and then left in the pan to brown, add a bit of cheese, pop under the grill and serve with bacon and eggs for a quick tea! If it wasn't still 96F I'd be trying this for dinner!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this. When it cools down I'll try it. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.