Opinions are mixed on t'internet but whatever it is I'm gonna call him Dino. I found this Dino 'punch art' critter to make for a little boy's Birthday. I do know that the little chap concerned recently went to visit our Natural History Museum in London, and I also know that he's into dinosaurs - and probably dragons too.
It's a shame that I couldn't find out just who originally came up with this super idea, as there are a few similar cards out there. This is the link to where I found one image and an idea of the card 'ingredients' - then I just sort of cobbled my own version together, substituting where necessary. The end result is very much like Debbi's - just wish I knew who originally came up with this great idea:
To make things a bit clearer, this is a photo of the pieces that I punched out (the green ones already had green ink blended on and had also been embossed). The clouds were die cut later on.
Here's a list of the punches and dies that I used for Dino:
- Spellbinders circle die for Dino's (green) head, cut one (mine in the photo has a flat piece at the bottom - purely as I was really stretching the card stock and knew that would be covered once assembled :)
- SU 'Large Oval' punch for the green background to his eyes, punch two
- SU 'Extra Large' oval punch for Dino's green 'muzzle/mouth', punch two
- SU 'Owl Builder' punch for his white 'fangs', punch two hearts from the punch
- SU 'Large Oval' punch for the whites of his eyes, punch one and cut in two across the middle
- SU ' Owl Builder' punch for the black parts to the eyes (or SU's 'Itty Bitty' punch is almost the same size), punch two
- an ordinary 'file hole' round punch for the black nostrils, punch two
- the horns and spines were punched using SU's 'More Mustard' card and the top of the SU 'Festive Trees' punch - punch five and just trim to size when assembling Dino
- I just guessed at the size and shape of Dino's neck, by using a paper template until it looked balanced. As a rough guide' the neck is 5" long from the corner of the card to where it's neatly tucked under Dino's head - and about one and three-quarter inches wide, with a very slight curve along the top
To make up the card I used:
- 5" x 7" white card blank
- a piece of SU's 'Lost Lagoon' card stock, cut just slightly smaller than the card blank. NB. I worked on this background piece right until the entire card front was finished before adhering it to the card blank - this enables the cutting away of the cloud at top left and neck at bottom left :)
- first of all I cut out the pieces I wanted and then using green card (SU's 'Lucky Limeade') for the main part of Dino, gently sponged those with VersaMagic 'Hint of Pesto' and embossed them using SU's 'Square Lattice' embossing folder.
- I think the finished photo is self-explanatory but in case not, I stuck the neck piece onto the card leaving an overhang at the bottom left corner which I then just snipped off (flip the card over to do this as that gives you a clear guide line)
- then I assembled Dino's head straight onto the blue backing. Round piece first, the two green 'Large Ovals' the whites of his eyes, then the big black pupils
- next I assembled his 'muzzle' by just popping the pointy bit of the hearts underneath the top piece as 'fangs/teeth' then sticking the two together. Added the black nostrils and then popped the muzzle on using thin sticky pads at the bottom part and flat sticky at the top part
- trimmed the horns/spines to size and added them by using a little piece of thin sticky pad down each one and leaving a gap where it was going to sit on top of his neck/head. That just means it sits level - same as I did for his muzzle :)
- next I die cut three clouds using MFT's 'Cloud Trio' and stamped 'Happy Birthday' on the largest one, using the 'Hint of Pesto' ink again and a sentiment stamps from LOTV's 'General Greetings - small' set. Stuck that onto the corner, again with it overlapping the two edges and trimmed it to size then added a small cloud
- stamped 'seven' onto the middle sized cloud using the 'Hint of Pesto' ink again and the Hero Arts' Whimsical Numbers' stamp set, then stuck that in place
- at that point, I added the assembled 'scene' to the card blank, using Collall All Purpose Glue which allows some 'wiggle' room to make sure it's centred properly :)
- final touch, added 'Glossy Accents' over the eyes - with heart in mouth as one dollop and the whole thing would have been ruined!
So, that was another foray into punch art for me.
Sorry this has been such a ramble, tee, hee - it could have been easier and quicker to do a video. Err, I think NOT!