Monday 7 January 2013

Christmas Wishes

I wanted to begin the year right and make a card a week to enter into Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - which is 'Santa has gone into hiding' so I swiftly chopped up another of the shop bought cards we received at Christmas time. No way would I even contemplate touching the precious hand made ones sent by so many lovely people - Elizabeth has just published on her blog a great idea for storing/displaying them by the way!

Anyhoooo, this is what I made:
I used:

- 4" x 4" square white card stock

- image from a Christmas card, die cut and then matted onto SU's 'Certainly Celery' backing made by tracing round the outside of the same die and hand cutting - and it is centred properly, although in the piccie the right hand side looks a bit 'off'

- backing paper on the card front is from a free set which came with a magazine, called Humphrey's Corner Christmas paper pad. There are some decoupage images included but I doubt if I'll use them although the papers are nice :(

- little holly sprig was die cut using a Marianne Creatables die - No. LR0244

- Josy Rose nail heads on the die cut and also to cover the insipid ones on the main image

And here's another little tip. Having so many backing papers I often cover the front of cards - sometimes leaving a narrow border. But, if I don't want to leave a border and instead want to cover the entire front of a card, I use a variation on the little trick I explained the other day. Cut the patterned paper just slightly bigger than the card front, then stick it (put the adhesive onto the card itself and not the patterned paper by the way else you'll be cutting through sticky stuff) so that the 'spine' and one side at right angles are aligned properly - make sure you've folded your card first. Then just trim the rest off the bottom and the other side, from the wrong side (ie. the inside of the card). If, like me, you use a trimmer which sometimes leaves a little raised line just run a fingernail down the front edges after cutting.

Not content with just a card, I also played with my new Crafters Companion Enveloper Pro and made an envelope to match :) I know quite a few of you make your own envelopes - Sarn is one person who springs to mind and they always are a lovely finishing touch. Over Christmas I made a few odd shaped cards and this gizmo would have been great to have - so the other day I hopped into Hobbycraft and spent some gift vouchers I've had in my little paws since September on one.
Hmmm, square cards, and therefore square envelopes, do mean a bit of a different fold at the bottom to what I expected (unless I'm missing a trick - I think oblongs would be fine though) - but I'm still 'pickled tink' :)

Di
x

19 comments:

  1. This is such a darling card, Di! And the matching envelope is amazing. Sounds like a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theres a flippin tool for doing what I been doing by hand?!!!! Tell me more!!! Got me stack of christmss fronts snd some of the wording inside the cards too where considerate peepoles havn't scrawled all over it that is. I have even sorted me drawers out and moved me bloomers into another one (Hands to yourself Jules) so now I have a Christmas drawer all to itself cramed full of goodies.
    Gosh am I organised or what. time for a little drinkie methinks. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Di, you have done exactly what I have done cut up two shop bought cards Saturday for my very first bit of crafting for 2013 and for over a month or so now.. and have two cards done for Christmas 2013, not sure if will have time to blog them though.. love your envelope too, love Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. That is a pretty little card front.
    Thanks for the tip...I am always looking for tips for me but especially tips that make it easier for little Miss C. Wee hands are not always as steady as ours so this will be a good one for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so gorgeous Di love the image.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your card Di and the matching envelope really finishes it off so beautifully.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to cut up our old Christmas cards Di, I'm sure peeps have been doing it for years but it never occurred to daft ole me, duh!

    Bought myself a Josy Rose and love it, one of the cards l have to share this week proudly has nail heads on it.

    Love your card and matching envelope, l like co-ordinating :)

    Have a good Monday xx

    P.S. thanks for the offer of more cards, l'll keep you informed on how they sell, fingers crossed heh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just ordered the new WRMemory Keepers envelope board (called Envelope Punch which is actually a bit misleading). Not out yet but should be after CHA and it looks pretty much idiot proof and includes a punch to round where needed. Best envelope maker I've seen and, as I've never bought one .... allows you to make over 60 different sizes as well. Pre-order at Oyster Stamps and here's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxZnY8ACNk&list=UUAlamYPV5X2_qnzHD8OWUAg&index=4

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card (and envelope) Di. Love the recycled card topper.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVE my Enveloper Pro board and wouldn't be without it. I will email you with some other sizes I use which will make it even MORE useful to you.

    I see you didn't cut your edge corners off, tut tut!!!! (I didn't follow the instructions properly at first either, but it does make a difference!).

    Also . . . I often use a corner rounder on the flap. Just sayin!

    Oh, and I adore the recycled card you've made.

    Please feel free to dismantle and re-use any of the cards I've sent you.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely card - I try and recycle as many cards as I can too!

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty and love the matching envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely card, and you've done a fab recycling job. Love the envelope & maybe you can do a tutorial on using it? I've got one bought years ago at a craft show, looked at the dvd, STILL can't use it properly. My cards finish up odd sizes too many times & I have to hunt for an envelope. So happy you had a fun time spending your gift cards. What fun. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo get you, Mrs, matching envelopes, how very posh is there no end to your talents.
    Great card though and the envelope looks fab.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Di, lovely card - great re-use of a pretty card. Thanks for the mention - and I was sure you'd recognise the card on the back of one of the albums - it was tooooo pretty to hide away :) I expect the one I've submitted to Hazel's CHNC this week is familiar too. Not surprised your 'pickled tink' with the envelope maker - I'm sure it will prove to be worth it's weight in gold over time. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Di, for entering this lovely card into both my CHNC challenges (I must really be cracking up because I thought I'd already left you a comment) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very clever Di! Love these colours. And love your blog because it makes me smile! Thanks for joining us at CHNC. Hugs Fiona x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.