Friday 17 March 2017

Merry Monday - #239 - colour challenge

The current challenge over at Merry Monday uses the most fabulous colour combination - copper or bronze, gold, and turquoise. And the DT cards are really gorgeous too - those colours work so well together! As I write this, I'm surprised more folk haven't entered as it's such a beautiful combination of colours - and one I'll be using again for sure.

This is the card I made, and it was almost impossible to photograph, sigh. I tried all ways with my camera and it was Len, using his camera, who ended up taking this photo for me:
The rich vibrancy of the 'peacock turquoise' is still more vivid in real life, but I think 'the boy done good' - considering my best efforts came out dark blue!

I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank, tent style

- piece of matching white card, into which I die cut the set of three baubles using a Memory Box 'Clairmont Ornaments' die - keeping the little die cut pieces to one side for later

- then I backed the aperture with double sided adhesive paper (medium strength) and set it to one side as well

- die cut the ornaments using a snippet of matt gold card and then popped the outline part of the die cut into the sticky aperture on the card front piece of card

- added in the relevant little pieces of white I'd saved

- die cut the inerr part of the holly leaves from a little snippet of copper matt mirri card and popped those in place

- then die cut the baubles themselves using turquoise glitter paper from the Xcut self-adhesive 'darks' glitter sheets - and popped those in place

- now I could see how much space I had to play with, so I die cut the word 'noel' from another little snippet of copper card, backed with Stick-it double sided adhesive sheet

- the die I used is actually the Poppy Stamps 'Noel Snowflake' stamp - but it's a piece of cake to just snip the (only partly cut to save card!) snowflake off of course

- stuck the sentiment in place onto what was to be the front panel of the card

- then I could position a Lil' Inkers 'Stitched Rectangle' die as I wanted and die cut the panel

- added the panel to the card front, sandwiched with white fun foam to lift it. Gonna have to pull back on this idea else I could be headed for Large letter post costs at Christmas!

- finally added three sequins, one gold and two turquoise to finish off

The sequins came from packets of 'shaker card' fillings I bought at the end of last year - this is where I got them from - (Little Things by Lucy's Cards). Be careful if you go and look, the choice is just so tempting! Lucy is based in the UK but her overseas shipping costs are very reasonable. The packs I dipped into are called 'Caribbean Dream' and Rose Gold' - bet that's got you drooling!

One tip I think a few of you have mentioned in the past is that it's a good idea to run an inlaid (or otherwise) die cut completed (before any fancy embellishments like sequins of course!) image through your die cutting machine just to flatten everything evenly. It take those little bumps out of die cuts that you sometimes find (where the release holes are in the die), adheres everything beautifully and looks much more professional. For the life of me I can't think why I didn't do it before now!

Oh, and I was going to make a set of four identical cards - but when I was making the first one, even though it was 'semi-batch baking', I knew that making four was going to be too much - but I did make two the same!

I'd like to enter this card into the following current challenges:

Merry Monday #239 - 'Colour Challenge - copper or bronze, gold, and turquoise (of course!)

Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge #324 - 'Anything Goes' (I skipped the option of 'vintage')

Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for March - 'Always Anything Goes'


33 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I LOVE the colour combo and the pretty sequins too.
    Great tip about running thru the machine again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful !! Love the color combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! Loving the sparkle xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it's a scrummy colour combination but no time! I did have an idea so must try and get it made. Your card is very elegant and sparkly. Len saves the day again. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that colour combination and thanks as always for the detailed 'how to'

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stunning card Di, I love the gorgeous blue glitter of the baubles.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card, Di. Love the color combo.
    Hugs,
    Em xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty l love the colour and self-adhesive sparkle paper used Di for the baubles so talented you are have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card Die and so well worth all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's wonderful!
    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the look of this sparkly Christmas card Di. TOP TIP about the inlaid die cutting too! TFS.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really a fabulous colours combo and the sparkling turquoise adds other interest!! Amazing card and great way to use the die, love so much the inlaid diecuts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful die and what a bright and pretty card you have made with it Di, and I simply adore that gorgeous turquoise glitter paper which certainly adds some pizzazz. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You knocked this color challenged out of the park! Really lovely Christmas card, I love the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful card, love the die and fabulous colours.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't know what the heck is going on here tonight with Blogger, having a dreadful time trying to comment.

    Love this card, as you say great colour combo and love the baubles and Len has certainly caught the colour here, I have a few cards that will be difficult to photo, so could you send him up with his camera to take mine, cards that is not photo's of me.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous card Di,mImlove the colour, glitter and sparkle!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely blingtastic! Awesome colours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So elegant, a gorgeous Christmas card. I love all of your design elements Di, thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely!
    Thanks for joining us at CraftyHazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for March!
    Monica - DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diane, I agree these are gorgeous colors together...you card is so very pretty,the ornaments really shine through and I wouldn't mind having that color hang on my tree! thank you for sharing this at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great card, love the colors. Great die.
    Hugs, Chantal S

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are right: this colourcombi is gorgeous. I would never have thought about it and I like your card very much!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely, lovely card Diane! These colors really do work so well together don't they?! Glad you enjoyed playing along and thanks so much for sharing with us at Merry Monday!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooh beautiful card Di, your sparkly baubles are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! This may have been hard to photograph, but the beauty came through! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love, love those baubles! Thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning card, Di - just love your sparkly turquoise baubles with the gold & copper holly! Great job with the MM color challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful card, Di. The turquoise baubles are stunning. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely gorgeous!! Great card Di ... beautiful colour combo (I had fun playing with it too). Love the shimmer and sparkle from your glittery ornaments. Good job by Len to take the picture. xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such gorgeous sparkly baubles! What a fantastic card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.