Friday 10 March 2017

ho! ho! ho! - with punch art

Recently I stumbled across a really old but very cute 'punch art' Santa hat on line, made using SU punches. There were no instructions, apart from a photo of the pieces, but the idea is very clever (IMHO) so it was very much a case of playing around, plus I didn't have one of the punches that appeared to have been used so had to improvise and this was the end result - and I made five cards all the same in a single 'batch bake':
And these are the punched pieces I started off with - just to put the punch art into context, I'll explain below:
Get the idea? On the photo I found there was also a plain oval punched out of the centre of the white scalloped oval - and that's where I improvised. Read on for more detail:

I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank

- the same white card stock, which is slightly off-white - mistake to buy an unknown brand on line, lesson learned! I cut a panel just slightly smaller (eighth of an inch all round) to the card blank

- then I die cut an aperture into the panel, using a Spellbinders 'Wonky Rectangle' die - having tried almost every other die I owned against the little prototype hat I made. That's one of my tips for today - especially if you want to make a batch of cards, take the time to make a little prototype, it will repay you in shed loads!

- then I stamped the 'ho! ho! ho!' sentiment using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from SU's 'Good greetings' stamp set

- next I backed the aperture with a snippet of black card stock, and added it to the card front using a layer of fun foam to lift it a bit

- I had already used punches to make the hat elements, shown above. I used snippets of course and one was deep red satin mirri for the 'cap' of the hat - using SU's 'Extra Large Oval' punch, and then I just cut a little rounded piece out of the hat using one end of the SU 'Word Window' punch 

- next I went around all the edges of the red satin mirri card using a red Whispers marker - just to cover up the white edge - not needed if you use a 'coloured all the way through' card stock of course

- the fur for the hat was die cut using a SU 'Scallop Oval' punch and a snippet of pearlescent Centura white card

- the little bobble for the hat was also die cut from the Centura white card and a SU 'Itty Bitty' flower shaped punch

- this is where I wandered away from the overall assembly bit as I didn't have a 'central oval' punch small enough (I think it's the now discontinued SU 'Small Oval' punch) or even a die suitable enough to cut an oval aperture into which the bottom part of the hat would slot

- my solution was to slightly trim away a small curve from the back part of the hat, just below the 'notch' I'd punched in to form the cheeky pointed part so that the line of the red followed the white 'fur' trim of the hat and sit the red part of the hat on top of the white scalloped oval rather than slot it through an aperture - and it works just fine. And if you followed that little explanation - take a quick go on the Playground swings!

- all that was left was to glue the three parts of the hat in place, using a fine line glue applicator and Collall All Purpose Glue - before adding the finishing touch of 'Icicle' Stickles to the hat bobble

I always leave adding Stickles and Glossy Accents until a card is completed - had too many accidents in the past trying to play with teeny embellishments and said sticky stuff :) Plus, I play safe and either use a fine line applicator for Glossy Accents or, for either, squeeze some onto a small piece of paper to work with and add it with a fine paintbrush.






33 comments:

  1. That hat is super cute. You did a fantastic job creating it. And I really like the wonky rectangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so cool. I read along avidly to find out how you made the "cap" portion of the card. Brilliant idea!

    Off to catch up on your blog. Sorry have not been by for the last couple of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute...so lovely to see punch art make a revival!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable card :)
    love the clever idea with santa's hat!
    Xxx
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job. I couldn't see how you could have created the red hat shape at first - even after you described it, it just looks too "hatty" to have started life as an oval! Really clever idea
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great Santa hat and so well described as to how you achieved the end result. Punch art is fun, especially if you actually have the punches which have been used!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee . . . I LOVE this card idea and will shamelessly steal it, (I mean CASE it). Got all the required punches too . . . Bonus!

    Happy Friday.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just tried to make this blinking hat FOUR times without success. All I can say is . . . you have WAAAAY more patience then me mate! I take it back . . . I am NOT stealing this idea from you! xxx

      Delete
    2. Aw, the only part I think could be tricky would be if you try using two punches on the white bit for the 'fur' bottom of the hat. I already worked out that if I manage to get my paws on a small SU oval punch (hopefully there's one in the pipeline!) then I would be sure to cut squares or such of the white card stock first, then punch out the SMALL plain oval scalloped edge shapes. And only then would I try use the scalloped punch to to punch the outer part so as to see that it's properly lined up.

      Bless you for trying though! :)

      Hugs

      Di xx

      Delete
  8. What a fabulous idea Di and the red and white of the hat looks great against the black wonky rectangle which really shows it up so prettily. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic card Di, and great use of punched too. The hat look great.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen that cute trick before, on Pinterest! That is so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super duper cute! I bet it was fun to punch away and come out with such a nice result!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I say this is brilliant. Great play five more cards to the already growing pile. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea Di! Must have a go and hope I have more success than Sarn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! I love punch art, even if I have never tried it, and your Santa's hat is so pretty! Clever idea and trick! A lovely way tyo make different cards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I shall be pinning this Miss Pixie! It's a fabulous idea and anything that helps me get more out of my punches and dies then it's a win for me! Although if our Sarn didn't get it I might not either lol! Oh well worth a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, I have just seen Sarn's comments, really made me giggle must go and tease her, very rare I read other comments, in case they have said what I was going to say but as I scrolled down it stopped at her comment.
    I have not seen this before and it is a brilliant idea and by the sounds of it you have made a perfect job of putting the hat together. Great card and even greater that you have made a batch.
    Have a good weekend.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great card. The hat part is so clever. A really good idea for batch making and I love your wonky rectangle! Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see how you made this! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant Di, I thought I might have to CASE this for a little batch making, but then I read Sarn's comment! Perhaps I'll have a go at making a one off. LOL! It's a shame SU discontinued the small oval punch. I tried to get hold of one ages ago as I had an idea for using it to make frogs legs, but couldn't find one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Santa Hat is super cute, Di! What a fun card ... great to make a "batch bake". :) Seems like lots of crafters are making batches this year. Great way to quickly build Christmas card stash. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a clever idea Di, I just might have to give this a go! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute, Di, I love the clever way you cut the red part of Santa's hat!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  23. A super card - great instructions too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super card Di and a brilliant use of your punches. I can see a big production line of Santa hats starting now xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What cute cards Di! I love your punch art Santa hat, too cute!! And I love that you used what you had and made it work, it looks fabulous! Also love that you made so many cards too, way to go!!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  26. You sure put your talented Designer hat on to make this fun Santa hat, Di! That was incredible to read!! Glad you were also smart enough to make more than one of this delightful card!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this Di, your hat creation is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this gorgeous card - you are so clever - I would have got in a right pickle trying to make the hat! It was well worth making five. Hugs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. How very clever, the effect is just fab.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.