Friday 14 December 2012

Friday Feast - Red Stew

This is a dish which loves to be cooked long and slow - perfect to come home to if you've been out for a Winter walk:
I know, the casserole dish looks possibly not too appetising with the cooked on juices - but, hey, that's the sign of a long and slow cooking time :)

Red Stew

Serves four to six - I halved the amount and there was more than enough for two of us

3-4 tablespoons olive oil
2 large red onions, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic (optional)
1kg (approx 2lb) chunks stewing beef
2 tablespoons flour
1 large glass red wine (in fact I didn't half this amount and probably sloshed more than a large glass in - you might know!)
2 tablespoons tomato puree or tomato ketchup
400g (14oz) tin whole tomatoes
300ml (10 fl oz.) stock, made with beef stock cube
Good pinch dried herbes de Provence (I did have these to hand but mixed herbs would be just as good)
2-3 red peppers quartered and de-seeded ( these are the bell peppers, not chillies)

Soften the onion and garlic (if used) in the hot oil. When softened remove them, then add the meat and cook, in batches, until browned.

Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and put aside.

Stir in the flour and make a roux, remembering to keep stirring, cook a minute until smooth then add the red wine, tomato puree or ketchup, then gradually add the stock and bring to the boil.

Add the rest of the ingredients: the tomatoes, red peppers, herbs and return the beef and onions to the pot. Season with ground black pepper (stock cubes can be salty), cover and cook for two to three hours at 170 degrees/325 Fahrenheit/Gas Mark 3, until the meat is tender.

Serve with steamed or roasted root vegetables and creamy mash.

I reckon it would cook beautifully in a slow cooker of course.

This is truly yummy folks! Enjoy :)

I'm away on a long weekend's training course, aka a trip to Germany to see the little ones - gluhwein and bratwurst at the Christmas Markets stand by your beds and prepare for an invasion :))

The Snippets Playground will carry on as normal with a new Mr Linky on Sunday - hey, did I say Playground and 'normal' in the same sentence, never!! I've left Sarn in charge seeing as she's so respectable :)

Di
x

13 comments:

  1. Yummy! We must be on the same mind-bend channel. We had something similar for dinner tonight, except I didn't add the tomato-ey stuff. I DID add some (hic) wine. (some that I don't like the 'drinking taste', but was fine in the stew, as it cooked off a bit. Have fun on your trip and your bratwurst sounds deeleesh too! We'll be jolly at the Playground, just sittin' round waitin' on your return. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good...Will be trying this out in me slow cooker... Have a good time over in Germany don't forget your thermals!! Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Njami, someting hot and on the spoon.
    Dober tek - buon apetit!
    Tamara :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds yummy Di .. .. I love cooking things long and slow so that all the gorgeous smells are around to make us hungry LOL!!

    Have a fun time away .. .. I promise not to blow anything up whilst you are away this time and not to (knowingly)be a pain to the respectable Sandra!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one will be a def for the slow cooker Di and is just my sort of recipe.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks so yummy and warming and exactly what I need. My Mum always made stew when I wasn't feeling well and I could really do with some now. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the food. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Great Recipe Di and it looks absolutely yummy just right for the weather we are having at the moment will really warm you up thanks for another great dish and have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I thought you were JOKING about me being in charge! Yikes . . . I'd better pull my socks up and, er, DOOOO something!

    Enjoy your Language Teacher Training course.

    This stew looks yummy . . . .xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmn! Yes I should imagine this would be one for my slow cooker!
    Cannot believe you put Sarn and respectable in one sentence either!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Di, thank you for lovely christmas card wonderfully made

    ReplyDelete
  11. That stew looks absolutely delicious and it would, indeed, cook beautifully in our slow cooker. I like nothing better than to come in from the cold to the aroma of a delicious stew simmering away.

    Have a great time in Germany - you might even see some real snow! Could you bring back some bratwurst und pomme frites mit mayonnaise, bitte :))

    Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe looks as if it is going to be poifect for my slow cooker!! It looks soooo good.

    Hubby went to the Christmas market this morning here in Nottingham and they weren't selling Gluhwein at all - what a bloomin' let down!

    I dare say you will have found and necked a glass or four by now.

    Lurvely!!

    Hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks gorgeous!
    My cooking is getting blander and simpler as Mum gets more and more fussy about her food. eg. won't even touch green beans if not 'sliced the right way'. She calls herbs 'flavourings' and has got it on her head that they make you gain weight!

    Sometimes I resort to cooking 2 different meals, one for her, one for us. Most times most of hers goes into the bin or out for the birds either way.

    AArrrgghhh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.