Tuesday 20 September 2011

Silent Night, Holy Night

What is it about the sweetness of children in the annual Christmas Play? That's the politically correct way apparently of saying Nativity Play :(

I did a stint as an Infant School Governor and the highlight of the year for me was always the Nativity Play. Inevitably someone needed the loo in the middle of the proceedings, angels burst into tears totally overwhelmed by it all and each and every infant craned to see their relatives in the audience - always breaking ranks to wave and sometimes even doing a little twirl or a hop and a skip. Sooooo sweet - I used to be torn between moist eyes and trying to stifle the giggles :)

One year we had a load of amazing sheep costumes, sourced I think from Woolworths, plus a splendid camel costume (although the hump kept 'wibble wobbling' from side to side!). At the dress rehearsal there was such excitement as the little ones were all checked if they needed the loo before being zipped into their sheep costumes, noses were blown - and then the fun began. One little boy idly pulled on one of his 'sheep's ears' and lo and behold - a miracle............a loud 'baaaaaaa' came out of the ear, an additional feature of the costume that had been totally missed in the excitement of getting a bargain! Straight away all the other sheep followed suit of course, each tweaking their ears and rolling round giggling. Finally, order was restored and the Headmistress, made a very stern announcement - 'During the Play I shall have a very LARGE pair of scissors in my pocket. Just one teensy little 'baaaa' and I shall immediately chop your sheep's ears right off!!'.  And, true to her word, the next day just before we had 'Lights, camera, action' - the scissors were dangled in front of the sheep.......who behaved beautifully needless to say :)

So, when I was sorting out Christmas stash to use this year I was delighted to find a LOTV unused stamp from last year, somehow hidden amongst a box of backing papers. It's my very favourite LOTV Christmas stamp and I'd wondered where it was hiding so I set to right away and produced these:
Almost the same but with the background papers reversed and a slightly different snowflake
Close-up of a snowflake
Oh dear, this LOTV image does make me smile - those little spindly legs dangling with her socks hanging off and the rope round her waist!

I used:

- 6" x 6" white card stock

- LOTV stamp 'Angel Gabriel', coloured with Pro Markers. Blush and satin - skin, Pastel Yellow - stars and halo, Sandstone, Mustard and Buttercup - angel's hair - Pastel Blue and Denim Blue - angel's robe and socks, Warm Grey 1 and Warm Grey 2 - shepherd's headdress and socks, Ice Grey 1 (well blended) background and lamb - with a touch of Pale Pink on the lamb's face.

- DecoArt Glamour Dust add twinkle to the angel's wings, halo and the stars - applied by just touching little bits with a Quickie Glue Pen, sprinkling with Glamour Dust...........and then walking round sparkling for the rest of the day! BUT, it's much better and more delicate than chunky blobs of Stickles - for certain things at least


- Blue pearlescent card for matting and also for the top layer of the snowflakes

- Patterned papers from an A5 Daisy and Dandelion 'Penelope and Percy' Christmas paper pack (bought last Christmas)

- LOTV Christmas sentiment, stamped in Pearlescent Blue and then heat embossed

- Seam binding in 'Queen Blue' from The Ribbon Girl - tied into a bow and fastened with a Moonstone Blue Brad - sent to me by Dee
-Snowflakes made from Marianne Creatables Norwegian Snowflake die cuts in white and pearlescent blue, painted with Anita's Gloss and dunked into Twinklets Diamond Dust - fastened together with Moonstone Blue brads, again from Dee (thank you again Dee!!)

I'm entering this into :

Phindy's Place Challenge #73 (although they say it's 72 I think it's actually 73 but it's called Christmas is creeping up on us.......)


And the best thing about today? News that Wipso's little grand children (twins) were born this morning - many congratulations!!!!! For the full news - hop over here to Annie's blog. Big smiles here :))

Di
x

15 comments:

  1. Your post did make me baa!!!! Just the thought of all those little lambs. I was the Angel Gabriele once in a school play
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harumph - I was only ever a shepherd with a tea towel on my head :( Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the Nativity Play brings back such memories! I was always the mum in the back row sniffling into my hankie!

    I have this stamp but found it hard to colour last year - now I must dig it out and give it a go! Thanks for the inspiration, your cards are both so sweet!

    luv, Mags x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute cards and couldn't help chuckling at the school play story, so true

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card, love LOTV myself, but also a great story. Brilliant.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Di your cards are delightful! Love the colors and that adorable image you've colored so beautifully! Love the soft sparkle. Love your tale as well. It's a bit like time travel, :) I was Mary and can remember it like yesterday. Such sweet innocent memories.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a lovely image that gives us, I would've been the baa'ing sheep with no ears no doubt!!! LOTV are so beautiful and just make a card so special too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di, l loved the Nativity Play when i was at school it was one of the best times of the year and it brings back happy memories for me too! l was one of three angels l thought it was great didn't have to speak either just be in the background but at least l can say l took part! your card is lovely great background papers and a fabulous image coloured lovely too! great sentiment, snowflakes and ribbons truly is amazing:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so a winner! I love it! I'm typing through tears of laughter right now... scissors, baa-ing sheeps ears and a cranky headmistress.... "Silent Night" will never be the same *lol*

    Everytime anyone mentions Nativity or Christmas play, I am always reminded of the Southpark version of "O, Holy Night" with Cartman singing, and Kyle with the cattle-prod. Ohhhh.... laughing again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post Di....you make me laugh! I remember those days well (sigh) so long ago but seems like yesterday! Your image is just precious and most importantly I'm so proud of you....... you made a Ka Ka Ka....Christmas card! It wasn't that bad really, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Di - I'm the "Anonymous" comment above - I did it on my mobile and it went haywire! Technology is not playing the game lately here....again...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No worries Karen - I've just been wrestling with Blogger for two hours here. Off now to lie down in a darkened room! Technology - huh!!!!! Di

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a lovely card, I just love watching children in Nativity plays

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol, what a brilliant story! I always remember the shepherds with mums best checked tea cloths on their heads!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cute card, love blues on Christmas cards. Thanks for playing at Phindys Place this week...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.