Wednesday 14 September 2011

WOYWW 119

Another Wednesday already - and the day we all get a chance to snoop around the desks, floors, beds and trays of crafters joining in with WOYWW. This is my desk as I walked back into the craft room this morning:
Reasonably tidy with bits and pieces I'm playing with. At the back is a daylight lamp - a birthday gift on Monday, I love it!! At the front though is the green 'humpy' cutting mat, the promised glass mat seems to be currently walking here from Kent :(

The little red tray contains red poinsettias already disassembled ready to be covered in Diamond Dust (I posted the white ones here). Just to the left of the red tray is a white SD card reader (also from the Birthday Fairy). My laptop does have an SD card reader but the spring mechanism has become a bit unreliable (overworked I suspect) and the new little gizmo is a super little invention. Just this week I told someone struggling with their SD card slot about it - you plug it into a USB port and then slot the SD card in - so if your SD card slot becomes unreliable all is not lost as this is a great solution :) Some folk might use one of these gizmos anyway if they don't have an SD card slot of course.

The three sets of tweezers had been borrowed by Len - another raid on my crafting tools and goodies:) He's very good though and always returns what he borrows!

To the right of the green cutting mat there's a little pile of charity shop jewellery which will be chopped up and used at some point in the future. Then, in front of that little pile some gorgeous Joanna Sheen stamps from my lovely friend Karen - I can't wait to use these :)

Finally, centre back of the green mat, I stopped prevaricating (today's big word!) and made a couple of cards using the TH distress inked block pattern paper I showed here last week. These are they:
On the one above, just a simple Hero Arts flower stamp and a stamped sentiment.
On this one, a Tim Holtz stamp with a scroll underneath, some bakers twine, butterfly charm from the lovely Dee and a Whimsy tag.

A little hint about wrapping bakers twine round cards - so that it doesn't slip around, measure where you want it to be wrapped and make little pencil marks on the edge of the card (I did this on the back). Then, using a very small hole punch - I used one that's one sixteenth of an inch - punch half circles at each measured point. You'll then have four (or whatever number you're working to) little notches which will hold the twine in place. I'm always hesitant about offering hints in case they seem glaringly obvious but it's worth a shot!

I used:

- C6 and 6" x 6" plain white card stock

- Black backing card to frame
- Pre-stamped background using TH distress inks, perspex block and misting spray - how I did this is on last week's WOYWW posting
- Stamps - Hero Arts stamp from the Watercolour Petals set, Best Wishes sentiment stamp by Stampendous (the stamp is dated 1994 and I've had it for donkeys years), Eclectic Palette stamp by TH, scroll stamp from The Girls Paperie set with tailors dummy etc. (number GP65016)
- Bakers twine and butterfly charm from my stash
- Whimsy tag stamped and then die cut with Whimsy die (I keep a few of these ready made as they're a bit of a fiddle to make)
 
That's me for this week - the plumber did call round as promised yesterday and the job will be done this afternoon, Len no longer has yellow eye whites and calm has been restored :) Thank you all who left lovely comments and birthday wishes yesterday :))
 
So, now it's time to hop over to Julia's and see what everyone else is up to. Have a fun day!
 
Di

21 comments:

  1. Looking VERY tidy methinks... love your colour blocking with black stamping!
    Thanks for sharing today! Sarah (at 2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Di

    Looks like a good working desk you've got going there!

    YAY . . . you turned your backgrounds into cards. Congrats. They look great.

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the stamps Di! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them now. I also use the 'notches' hint on ribbon tying too as I don't have bakers twine. Keeps it in one place, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious smell of blackberry and coconut cake here - will blog if its tasty!! Thanks for the tip - nothing about card making is obvious to me so keep em coming!! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing is obvious to me either, this is a great tip I'd never heard before.
    OOOoooo I knew you'd make something lovely with your TH background. Love them both!
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the block printing - very effective. Added it to my list of things to try - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the background i did my dt creation using that back ground for grungy monday not so long ago.Now find if im stuck for background get out the inks and hey presto there comes the background.works well on canvass too!
    Happy woyww
    judex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow gorgeous cards from your desk.
    Lovely place.
    Happy WOYWW. Sandy #1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous cards Di and thanks for the card making tips :-)
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely desk there and I think I see the sun, yes? Great tips from you today Di...you've missed your calling I believe. Your cards are lovely, you've done a fine job finishing them off...you should be quite pleased with yourself. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cards, Di!
    Your desk looks amazing - and those poinsettias are so so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Di, your desk is so tidy, and l like your block printing super effective. your cards are lovely too with a nice finish!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cards from your tidy desk. The tip is only obvious when you've got it and so I thank you as I never thought of it before!
    joZarty x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous use of the backgrounds you did earlier, good tip too.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday Di. Nice to see the Birthday Fairy has been kind to you.
    Love what you have done with those inky backgrounds. Glad you liked where I sent you!! Does this mean you are going to join in the GM Challenges now then?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a quick visit this week due to illness but hope to do better next week ... thanks for sharing your desk, love the inked background on the cards and glad to hear all is much better in chez Di, fab tip for the baker's twine too. I hope you have a better week. Elizabeth x #121

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't your two cards look fab!!! Bet your glad you spuddled now. Is that a proper word? I have a daylight lamp too. There great. Have had mine 16 months now and the tube has just gone. I use it every day so it lasted well. The Doc has just put the new tube in for me. Might be handy to get a replacement tube now so that you have it to hand when needed. I went on line to find my model and the tube size needed and ordered 2 at the same time as the postage was the same for both. Hill two birds with 1 stone is my motto. Hugs Mrs A. Norm went to order his jim jams this morning only to find they are out of stock!!. He has gone to bed in one of my jumpers.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Erm kill not hill. Der. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there and belated birthday wishes. I love the cards using the colour block paper etc. Thanks for visiting me and your lovely comments. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was here, must have forgotten to press send! (or fell off my chair, or something) Your desk looks very neat and tidy this week, and thank you for your hobby craft thingy, with that in my mind when we went out I sort of hinted that the Range wasn't too far away from where we were and yay, they had the papers. As soon as I can get myself motivated I'll be doing my boxes. They are lovely papers....don't want to cut them..there's only two of each design. Have a great weekend
    Happy (late) woyww)
    ((Lyn))

    ReplyDelete
  21. great looking desk this week. Love the cards! Sorry I am so late getting by this week but I wanted to pop by and visit your blog to say hello and to see what you are up to! Didn't have the time to post(except about newest Doswell addition) or craft the past two weeks due to being in Virginia visiting with the son's family to see the newest granddaughter born. Definitely a fun time none the less. Hope you have a great week. Vickie aka okienurse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.