Sunday 11 September 2011

I'm whispering - Christmas is sort of under way here.

Yup, unable to settle to much in the way of card production yesterday, I decided to make some embellishments to have stored away ready for making Christmas Cards. Given the mess I make with sparkles everywhere - plus it's seems such a fag lot of extra work to make one embellishment (can that please be today's big word?) at a time - this is what I had a quick play with:
Sparkly Poinsettias
I'd seen the seven minute tutorial for making these pretties on Bev Rochester's Blog here but thought it was such a lot of work I'd give it a miss. However, when I already had everything to hand, apart from some moonstone brads which I swiftly obtained, it seemed daft not to at least try what seemed in advance a bit like peeing grapes............oh dear, I'm going to leave that typo there, of course I meant peeLing grapes:).

Bev's tutorial is worth a watch if you feel like following suit - and I have to say it was great fun making these and they're not as tricky or time consuming as I'd imagined. They sparkle beautifully in real life too! I don't work fast but they truly were very quick and easy to make. I need to make a few more of these, plus some red ones - quite therapeutic too :)

I'd forgotten to add the spacers behind the brads when I took the photo above, so flushed with success was I, but late last night I carefully removed the brads and added them.

The one thing I did differently to Bev was that I took the top off my bottle of Anita's glaze and used a smallish paintbrush to coat the petals before dipping them into the Diamond Dust. That was much easier and more controllable than holding a layer of petals in one hand and trying to manipulate a squeezy bottle in the other, Also, I tipped some of the Diamond Dust into one of those tray thingies with a little stopper on one end, making it easy to replace the leftovers back into the jar - and I was surprised how little I used too. A prolific card maker like Bev has a whole plastic food container full of the stuff of course :( What I'd do for a basket and ten minutes in her craft room to collect a bit of this and a bit of that!


The Boss is out today - 'playing with bows and arrows' as I call it - but, he said to mention just how delicious the Paupers Pie was that we had last night. We felt more like Royalty - it was sooo yummy! Thanks so much for the recipe Elizabeth - do go here if you fancy seeing what it's all about. As suggested, we had it with fresh crusty bread and tomato salad - def. one for the favourites list :))

Thanks for calling by!

Di 
x

10 comments:

  1. Lovely embellies Di. Cant get my head around Christmas yet....and can't image why not :-) So many other things going on here I guess :-) [that and the lack of sleep! ]
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Di - I've totted up and I've got 40 Christmas cards already made in my box - not nearly enough so I think I will have to increase the weekly one to two if I don't want to be rushing at the last moment, or, worse still, buying them!!! These glittering flowers are gorgeous - I've got some of the smaller red poinsettias from WOC, might just give them the Bev treatment. Glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed the Paupers Pie. One comment received complained about the photograph - not enough pie and too much tablecloth ... and to think I never even thought about it :) Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sent you an email - but I think your commenter perhaps doesn't know that if you click on the photo it enlarges, then you can enlarge further if you wish as well. Anyhow, I personally liked your gingham tablecloth!! Go on, be a devil and do that again :)) Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, obviously I need to go and check out Elizabeth's blog for the pie recipe . .. but FIRST . . . I just wanted to say I love the look of your sparkly poinsettias. Good job (as Americans are fond of saying!).

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Di these are stunning! I think you'll be making some amazing cards with them. I think I'd use the brush as well. Hope you are enjoying a lovely Sunday.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di, just love these Sparkly Poinsettias they are amazing l haven't watched Bev's tutorial but looking at what you have achieved l think l'm going to check it out myself l just love Poinsettias and yours are gorgeous can't wait to see what card to put them on ............truly adorable:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sparkly poinsettia - so pretty and I have been to Elizabeth's blog for the reicpe - sounds like another yummy sugggestion! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous flowers Di.
    Lamb was delicious today but back to beef next Sunday so I can try out your Monday recipe.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Di....so pretty! That Elizabeth up above is just a show off (Sorry Elizabeth, I'm just jealous. I thought I was doing well but I'm not at 40)did you see how many cards she said she has made? Oh ya...Di - the pee thing, LMAO. Kinda reminds me of the card I just sent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peeing grapes sounds a lot harder and much less pretty than these beauties.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.