Wednesday 21 September 2016

CAS Mix Up Card Challenge - September 2016

Okey dokey, after the 'big mess' with mixed media here I decided to revisit a technique for the current CAS Mix Up Challenge, which is marbling plus two other techniques of your own choosing. I figured that after the MM fiasco - 'shaving foam marbling' would be a total breeze. Ha! Not so!

Somewhere along the way I managed to press a Dylusions spray bottle with the nozzle pointing right at the lap top! Such a fetching shade of turquoise immediately covered the silver flat part, thankfully in front of the keys though. What a scramble for baby wipes! Luckily it all cleaned up fine but did absolutely nothing for my confidence at playing with anything other than straightforward paper!

I was so jittery by this point that, despite making quite a few marbled pieces of card, I handled them badly and a lot of them ended up in the bin. But I did manage to make this card:
I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank, with side opening

- 'the marbling' itself (shudder) for which I used the lid of an A4 plastic box from Hobbycraft. It's deep enough and also big enough to be able to have a good play - and between times it belongs on top of the box holding Playground Toy Box overspill :) The challenge itself has so many wonderful examples plus loads of links to 'marbling' tutorials as well - not just using shaving foam. I used really cheap Sainsbury's shaving foam from their basics range left over from my previous foray into marbling and spread a layer of the foam all over the inside of the box lid before levelling it with a craft spatula. Then I added drops of Dylusions inks all over, using 'Funky Fuchsia', 'Crushed Grape' and 'Vibrant Turquoise' before swirling them using the wrong end of a paintbrush

- next I laid pieces of Clarity White Silk card onto the swirled and now coloured shaving foam

- then scraped the foam off the card using a ruler and set the now patterned pieces aside to dry. A lot of my pieces had too much white showing - I'd been too scared of 'over mixing' and ended up with a bit of the opposite really

- however, I selected one piece I did like and framed it using a white card frame die cut using Impressions Obsession's 'Rectangle 6 in 1 frames' die and glued it to the centre of the card blank

- added the sentiment using the Misti, Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a sentiment from a Whimsical Designs set called 'Whimsical Fun - Vol. 1'

- the butterfly was die cut from a snippet of matt card which I'd already sprayed with Dylusions 'Funky Fuchsia' and allowed to thoroughly dry - I used the Memory Box 'Isabella' butterfly die as I figured it needed a solid butterfly rather than a lacy one, to keep the CAS look

- then it was just a case of popping the butterfly in place, using a couple of small pieces of thin sticky pad

My additional techniques to the marbling are die cutting and stamping BTW.

I'd used Distress Ink refills when I tried this previously, which came out very pale and soft so was quite astounded at how vivid the Dylusions inks are. Love them though!

I quite like the impression of movement in the marbled piece - but it's nothing compared to the rapid scramble here when I had the 'leetle accident' and sprayed the laptop turquoise. I really shouldn't be let loose to play!







36 comments:

  1. :) I think next time you do mixed media, you'll need to wear one of those hazmat suits and be protected head to toe ... along with covering everything else in your room with plastic. I can just see you spraying the keyboard. I bet it looked pretty being turquoise. :)

    Great job with marbling .. your piece is so pretty --- love those colours together. And you are exactly right ... the movement of the marbled pieces are so interesting. Great job Di! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di, I just read Loll's comment and I'm sitting her visualizing you in a hazmat suit while you craft! I did put on a BIG apron when I did it! And I've been know to spray myself instead of the paper which is one reason I'm not crazy about sprays! Anyway, your marbled piece is GORGEOUS!!! What beautiful colors and movement and your butterfly is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up and sharing your tale too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is stunning and I just saw that Bonnie said about Loll's comment and I'm sat here giggling lol! I have struggled with the shaving foam technique because I find that really much messier than mixed media lol!
    I'm with Bonnie on this one, me and sprays do not work.
    I have sprayed myself in the face, in fact a couple of weeks ago did that! OH and I were in hysterics, only I could manage to do that! I don't spray in my craft area as it ends up everywhere because of what I'm like.
    If I have to use a spray then I do it in the garden, I won't do it in my craft room any more. There are some white paint drips on the furniture in there but I am lucky because OH is very understanding of me and my paint issues Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There must be something in the water... Crafty times not going well here, either! Glad you got there in the end. Beautiful colours, Di. Pretty card. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Very effective look and you sure have nailed keeping things clean and simple.

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miss Di, sounds like you had a very interesting time being creative, you gave me a couple of laughs as have some of the above comments! I've just finished spraying a sheet of cardstock for a card, I put it down on an old towel, the over spray is enormous, maybe I should have had a few items down, as for shaving cream marbling it sounds interesting and the result stunning.... have a great week... Megan

    Have any other pre-k teachers ever used shaving foam as painting experience with under 5's? one child who enjoyed it thoroughly had to be cleaned off from finger tips to armpits... and the poor mother who washed the aprons that week had an overflow of suds in her machine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a proper box for spraying. But didn't bank on accidentally depressing the Dylusions spray when carefully unscrewing the top to add drops from the bottle, sigh. I need to work in the middle of a field. Did laugh about the suds overflow 😊

      Delete
  7. Your perseverance has paid off Di, gorgeous card and I love the marbling.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, despite your best attempts at redecorating your laptop and craft room, while you did the marbling . . . your card turned out first class and pretty.

    I must say, whilst I LOVE getting everything out for Mixed Media sessions . . . messing about with shaving foam leaves me cold - I get it EVERYWHERE! I've tried it, had so-so results, and decided to leave it at that!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is absolutely gorgeous Di, incredible colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful make as always Di with perfect colours and attention to detail.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really cool - I have never tried that myself. What a pretty card.
    I am glad you managed to rescue your laptop !!! That was a bit of a scare !!!

    Hugz
    IKE xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really worked out beautifully though - and you are brave. I've been dabbling a little in mixed media, but not enough obviously to get nice and messy. I must try harder! The kids at school love playing with shaving foam and it does make a lovely mess! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's SO pretty Di - I love the colour you chose for the butterfly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well looks like it turned out fine in the end Di, your card is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty Di and had to laugh at your sprayed laptop. I love those colours and the shaped frame in the white contrasts beautifully with that bright pink butterfly and a great sentiment to finish. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card, Di. I love it.
    Hugs,
    Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure that we will all admit to spraying something other than the paper of item meant for spraying as a beginner or even more advanced. Such a gorgeous card Di, worth all of the mess.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Di,
    what a very gorgeous card, and that shaving foam background looks ace.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another 'messy' card, Di? You're on a roll! I love how you've turned the 'messy' part into a CAS card - just stunninig! Hope your laptop has recovered from the trauma of being sprayed. ;-) XX

    ReplyDelete
  20. THAT is exactly why I'm afraid of sprays. I always have the nozzle aimed the wrong way from what I want. I don't do hairspray either for the same reason. I like the movement in your marbling and it is perfect for that fabulously colored butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another interesting technique that I must try! It seems so fun! Your marbling CAS looks so pretty and movement! Great work with fab colours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A gorgeous card Di, I love your marbled panel, such beautiful colours. Everything goes together so well including the lovely shape of the frame.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Saw this wonderful creation this morning and was so tempted to write a comment then but thought why change a habit of a life time, so here I am now.
    I am so sorry that this was a nightmare to create but the colour are just stunning and with the addition of a really lovely flower would have been a really tip top card.
    You do know why I have made that last comment? All done in the best possible taste.
    Sorry you had all the mess, I once bought something that had to be squeeze and could I get it to come out and I squeezed and squeezed till it finally came out in such a splurt that is went all over my window sill, still there to this day, would not come off at all, even been painted over.
    Lesson learned.
    Take care

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's very beautiful, the colours are wonderful and vibrant and I love your marbled panel. Don't give up on experimenting, it's entertaining if nothing else! I'm just off to marble my laptop, I think it needs a new look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just almost spat coffee over my screen here! Scallywag!

      Hugs

      Di xx

      Delete
  25. I am so disappointed that we didn't get to see a picture of the beautiful turquoise laptop! Your card really is beautiful despite the journey to get there. You are however scaring me. I bought a can of shaving cream yesterday to try this technique. Maybe I should try this first outside naked so I don't make a mess of the desk and my clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I think that's going a bit far Brenda - but if it floats your boat then why not? :)

      Just cover everything on your desk with newspapers or a plastic table cloth!

      Hugs

      Di xx

      Delete
  26. Well after your dodgy start Di you've made a really beautiful card. I love the bright colours of the marbling and it looks so pretty framed. Sorry but I did have to laugh though. I sprayed over my specs a few weeks ago and and still scraping off little orange dots! I think we all do it. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an adventure Di...After all that your piece turned out beautifully. Love how you framed it and added your butterfly. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up. hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha ha I love your commentary, it's like we are there with you! What a disaster that could have been! Love your finished piece, that frame is fab and you made a classy card. I did some classes, but we used paper plates and plastic cutlery, so the mess went straight in the bin after. Mind you, they thought we were having a picnic when they first arrived lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning card! I adore the framed marbled piece it's just awesome! The CAS look and the gorgeous butterfly set it off perfectly! Your story had me giggling lots! I cosmic shimmer sprayed my glasses once, that was a dash for the baby wipes too! I now have some Perspex work goggles to go over my glasses when spraying, just in case! I look a right berk! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous marbled background - I'm glad you persisted as it's so beautiful in those vibrant colours. I like the way you framed it and added a simple butterfly. Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my, Di, your story is the best! Love butterflies and the marbled background is just right. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.