Friday 2 September 2016

Butterfly Challenge #61 Butterflies +K is for Kraft card and/or Kaleidoscope

I wanted to try out the double Z fold card that Meena made, and she also gave us a really clear little tutorial on how to go about making it. Lynn had also made a super card which was also a weekly pick in the Playground:

And a slightly sideways view so you can see the two butterflies more clearly:
Or perhaps not as clearly as I'd hoped :)

I used:

- SU's 'Crumb Cake' card stock (the closest I have that's 12" wide to Kraft card) for the card base and the narrow Z band - Meena has all the cutting and folding measurements on her tutorial

- patterned card from the Deco Time 'Cardboard patterns' pad (a gift from Jules, thank you again!) to cover all the card base and narrow band panels - the designs have encapsulated sparkle in them and are really lovely

- a snippet of green card from the snippets folder, die cut using the Winnie and Walter 'Friend' cutaway die, which was glued in place

- 'Crumb Cake' snippet, die cut using a Spellbinders Nestabilities die, glued to the card front

- that was topped with a flower, die cut using peach card and the flower die from the Concord & 9th 'Floral and Flutter' set - glued in place. The green centre of the flower is another dot, cut using the 'Friend' die

- the sentiment was stamped using the Inky Doodles 'In my Heart' stamp set for the frame and the words are from the Hero Arts 'Good Friends' sentiments set. I then trimmed round the frame and glued it in place

- that only left the butterflies to do, so I die cut one peach and one green butterfly using the butterfly die from the Concord and 9th 'Floral and Flutter' die set - having first covered the back of the snippets of card with Stick-It double sided adhesive

- used the outline of the green butterfly and the inserts from the peach butterfly and stuck those in place beside the sentiment panel

- that left me with one sticky backed peach outline butterfly so I cut a second one and layered the sticky one on top to give it more rigidity

- cut a half inch wide strip of clear acetate, rounded one end and using very narrow red line tape stuck the butterfly onto the strip

- then cut a one inch wide and five inches long strip of 'Crumb Cake' card and scored and folded either end one inch from the edge

- the most fiddly part of the card was sticking that strip in place, I used red line tape and crossed eyes!

- just had to then stick the acetate strip with the butterfly on the end in place, onto the strip of card I'd just added inside the Z fold of the card

It's important to make sure you stick the free flying butterfly so that the card will actually close - ask me how I know! Luckily I didn't wreck the card when I removed the acetate strip and angled it the other way :)

Another little tip, when you're sticking two identical layers together using sticky adhesive backing like I did with the peach free flying butterfly, is to just pull a little bit of the backing away at a time as you line the two layers up.

I really loved making this card - thanks again Meena for the inspiration! And also a big thank you to Bonnie, this is where I first saw the butterfly die being used and of course had to track it down in the UK!

23 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I really must make one of those z-fold cards, it appeals to the engineer in me. And I can picture just how the positioning of the butterfly could go all kinds of wrong, I'm sure it would for me - but you've got it perfectly positioned (now).
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely creation Di and all so beautifully put together and embellished.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous card - love the design and your butterfly die.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great design on your card! Fab folding and embellishments! Love these butterflies! Thanks for the tips, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Di....its so beautiful awesome card.

    Meena xx
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic card Di, I love the shape and the butterfly die that seems to be floating.

    sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beauty Di, such lovely colours and details. Happy Friday my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card looks absolutely wonderful Di.
    Hugs Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this card, Di... Kraft, Pink and Green seem to be on trend at the moment.
    Guessing you bought this set from Tara?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Di,
    what a very gorgeous card, and such a lovely shaped card.
    The papers used are very super, and all the elements used are fab.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous looking double z fold card Di - beautifully decorated. I have that Concord & 9th die set too and it's a definite favourite, the flower and butterfly are so delicate.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great card. I want to try out one of these cards myself. Fun stuff and great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab card Di, I must have a go at one of these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This 'Z' fold card looks fabulous Di. I'm afraid I am not good at paper engineering so this probably wouldn't be for me but you have done this beautifully and love all the detail in the papers and embellishments which all go really well. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous card Di, well done trying and succeeding to make the shape of the card.
    Lovely papers and images.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooing, rrrrrring and cooing over this beauty. Love that colour combo and that card shape from Meena. Butterfly die is gorgeous. Thankyou for fluttering by. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love this card Di. The pink looks lovely on the kraft. I have made lots of these cards and just found one in draft I made a while ago. However I've never thought to put the band right near the bottom as you have here. It's a great idea and gives lots of decorating opportunities because of the large open space. I love it. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card Di, love the shape. I think I might have to give this one a try! Loving the pink and kraft together.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This card is so pretty. Love the fold, love the papers and love, love, love the dies used!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This card is so pretty. Love the fold, love the papers and love, love, love the dies used!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous version of the double z Di, love the delicate floating butterflies. Have enjoyed this shape, but ending up making a slightly longer than required card, scoring it, and slicing a strip off the bottom, saves any measuring! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a clever idea Lesley! Then you just flip it upside down I guess?
      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.