Finally managed make a card for Mrs A's latest Butterfly challenge - which is Q is for Quadruple.
I returned to a 'technique' which is based on 'triple stamping' where you stamp onto layers of card and then build up those layers on your card, with plain card as a 'frame' on each layer.
A good while back I discovered that this is a really fun way to use up papers instead of the stamping technique, although I still love that as well of course. Previously I'd only ever made cards with three layers using papers - but for Mrs A's challenge I opted for four layers as my 'quadruple':
- 7" x 7" square white card blank - it's a big card as I'd already decided on the big die cut butterfly and sentiment, but you can make smaller versions
- first of all I cut the four plain green layers using SU's 'Always Artichoke' card stock. I wanted each green layer to be half an inch smaller all round than the one behind it - they measured 6.75" x 6.75", 5.75" x 5.75", 4.75" x 4.75" and 3.75" x 3.75"
- my next step was a bit wasteful but in truth I have more patterned papers than I'll ever use if I live to be as old as Methuselah. I could have messed around 'gutting' the paper but just went for the wasteful option. (Although I did keep the resulting 'waste' strips for another technique I want to try out!)
- I found an 8" x 8" paper pad (LOTV's 'Country Lady') which had four identical sheets in (most pads have two or three repeats, four is less usual). Then I cut four identical layers measuring 6.5" x 6.5" and set one layer aside for the very back layer
- now the next step - which won't work if you just reduce the size of the patterned paper by an inch on two adjacent edges - trust me, I found this out the hard way a long while ago. Take another of the 6.5" square papers and trim off half an inch from each of the four sides, then set to one side (on the back I marked an arrow so I didn't lose sight of which was the top edge of the paper) - this layer will measure 5.5" x 5.5"
- then take another layer of patterned paper and trim off one inch from each of the four sides, then set to one side - this layer will measure 4.5" x 4.5"
- take the last piece of patterned paper and trim off one and a half inches from each of the four sides - this layer will measure 3.5" x 3.5"
- then I layered up the card front by popping each patterned piece of paper onto a quarter inch larger piece of plain card - which gives a border of an eighth of an inch all round. Tip, I also marked an arrow on the back of the plain pieces of card so I'd still know which way up to assemble the finished layers
- and then I added all four layers to the card blank - for the whole process I did use Collall All Purpose glue as my 'eye-balling skills' are zilch and I do need some 'wiggle room'
- the sentiment is from SU's 'Sincere Salutations' set, stamped onto a white snippet using Brilliance 'Pearlescent Ivy' ink and then punched out using SU's 'Decorative Label' punch and fixed to the card front with thin sticky pads
- the butterfly was die cut from a snippet of 'Always Artichoke' and a snippet of SU's 'Riding Hood Red' card stock - using the fabulous Memory Box 'Darla' and Vivienne' dies. Layered together with the lacy butterfly only stuck in the centre, fixed to the card front with thin sticky pads and then a few (four, so another quadruple!) pearls down the body
I really think this technique works well, probably better and less fussy with just three layers, but Mrs A's 'quadruple' led me to try four out for a change - and I'm so pleased I managed to join in with the Butterfly Challenge this time, albeit a bit at the last minute. I've missed a couple lately and was waiting for a swift slap round the head for my troubles :) Or even worse, to be given the part of the rear end of a camel or donkey in the Playground Nativity Play!