Wednesday 21 October 2015

Guitar card for the Birthday Boy

First of all - thank you so much for the comments about my embossing folder issues which I wrote about yesterday - lots of great suggestions - which will be tried before the folder ends up in the waste bin I promise :)

As already said, it was a special Birthday for Len last week and  some of you know that he's a keen guitarist, at the last count he had five guitars in various genres and that's why his cards from me often feature music or guitars. I'd seen some brilliant guitar shaped cards on blogs and some featuring cards with guitars cut from templates (Pat made a beauty not that long ago in fact!).

Whilst searching for templates I stumbled across a more abstract style that really took my fancy - and to be honest I didn't trust my free hand cutting round a template even if I managed to find one either!

I can't track back to where it originated to give credit but there were at least a couple of versions on line. No instructions on any of the cards I spotted but it wasn't difficult to fathom out what to do and this is what I ended up with:
I used:

- 5" x 7" white card blank, tent style

- SU 'Early Espresso' card stock for the main layer, cut just a little smaller than the card blank

- snippets of black and SU 'Whisper White' card stock, die cut with circle dies from the Tonic Studio's set

- layered those onto one another to form the 'sound hole' and then, using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from SU's 'Sincere Salutations' set, stamped the greeting

- at that point I could work out just where I wanted the 'sound hole' to sit so that was stuck in place next

- using gold cord for the strings I wound it around the card - all in one piece - held in place by ultra sticky tape at the back

- at that point I glued the whole front piece to the card front

- next punched the 'bridge' using SU's 'Word Window' and 'Whisper White' card and stuck it in place, making sure it was very slightly curved over the 'strings', then added a black Josy Rose nail head at either end

- then sneaked a plectrum from one of Len's guitars and drew round it onto a snippet of red card before fussy cutting it

- stuck it in place with a little piece of thin sticky pad and then added the magic Birthday numbers, using gold peel offs

Yup, the card was a hit - even though you can't get much of a tune out of it :)

Di
x

27 comments:

  1. Oh wow... This card is so cleverly designed and put together. I love everything about it. Fabulous CASEing, Di :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic card for the guitar player! Very clever! Hope Len had a wonderful birthday. Sorry I've been absent. Busy time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant Di..a perfect guitar. Did Len play you a tune on it :-) Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card, I wondered how you did the plectrum ......good idea to 'borrow' one. Friend made a piano keyboard using white plastic and black painted wooden garden label sticks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever design Di, a really inspirational piece of artwork. Would be a good ides to pinch for my hubby, he also has a guitar or two.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card Di
    love the idea and fab design
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utterly BRILLIANT card for Len. Very creative of you.
    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's brilliant. I love it. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever and inventive card Di......true creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Di and I love this close up view of the guitar and great idea to use the gold cord for the strings and cut a plectrum shape for the number and tucked through the strings too. Thank you for giving my guitar card a mention. Apparently one of the knobs came loose in the post on the way to Australia but our son still loved it, and I'm sure Len was really delighted to receive this beauty also. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a brilliant card! I love it. What a perfect card for a guitar enthusiast. Happy Back to the Future day! Take care Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen some of the more complex instructions for guitar cards, but I'm struck by the simplicity of this one. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Di what a clever idea works really well l just love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow..what a creative and VERY cool idea..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card, Di. Belated birthday wishes to Len. Hope he had a great day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very creative design, you are a genius! Very beautiful birthday card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. To return the compliment - you are one very clever little sausage to come up with this card :) I absolutely love your gifted idea and I'm sure the Mister loved the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a fantastic card. I'm sure he loved it. The strings look perfect and the pick is great with the number on it. Tell him Happy Belated Birthday from a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well it is certainly well tuned in to his hobby and looks like the plectrum is as old as he is, fab touch.Hope you plucked the strings to accompany you singing Happy Birthday.

    So in 10 years time he will have to come up with something equally significant to you.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny Kath! Got me grinning here :) xx

      Delete
  20. This is great Di. Very clever of you. Len wears it well. I was gonna knock 5 years off! hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a super duper card for Mr Pixie. You made it sound easy too.xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Superb card Miss Pixie - funnily enough saw similar recently and added it to one of my boards as it would be great for Mr Crafting Obsessions lol!

    Hettie just told me we could do some pumpkin carving Miss Pixie - are we meeting at the back of the bike sheds?! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant card di and such a fabulous design and the plectrum is great xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very clever design Di and perfect for your guitar man. happy birthday Len! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant design. Hope Len enjoyed his special birthday. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.