Sunday 1 May 2016

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 227

Happy May Day folks! Did anyone rush out to wash their face in the early morning dew then? Legend has it that it 'would prevent freckles, sunburn and wrinkles. It could prevent headaches, and even walking barefoot through the dew would ease bunions and callouses as well as preventing corns!' Could be a good idea to just cut out the messing around and race out totally naked at sunrise to roll around in the stuff!? It's a Bank Holiday here in the UK so a nice extended weekend for lots of you - here's hoping the sunshine we had yesterday continues.

Enough about May Day - although I'm a little bit surprised that no-one has erected a May Pole in the Playground and sent Parsnip like a monkey up to the top to fasten the ribbons in place - rather than do it the easy way when it's lying on the ground of course.

My snippets card today is really CAS and was great fun to make:
I used:

- 4" x 5.75"white card blank

- another piece of white card for the front, with rows of chevrons die cut down either side using MFT's 'Peek-a-boo Chevrons' die. I did this in two stages, die cut the left hand side using one long chevrons die first of all

- then calculated roughly how I wanted the right hand side chevrons to be placed before stamping the sentiment using a Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink pad and a stamp from Kaisercraft's 'True Friendship' set

- die cut the right hand side chevrons using a mix of the smaller dies in the set

- backed the panel with medium weight double sided adhesive sheet so that the sticky was behind the open cuts waiting for the infill die cuts

- using snippets of black, purple and orange I die cut just three long rows of chevrons and stuck them into the front panel die cuts - really therapeutic I found

- took a chance and peeled off just a little bit of the sticky backing paper along the top of the panel so I could line it up nicely on the card front. Usually I use glue as my eyes certainly don't see things straight and invariably things end up wonky. But, just having a little bit of the backing sticky exposed allowed me to carefully line up the top of the panel centrally and also the right distance from the top of the card. Once happy I just pressed it into place and peeled off the rest of the backing, smoothing it onto the card as I went - worked a treat!

I've had the chevron dies for ages and been mulling over how to best use them. I didn't think that flowers or a swirly sentiment would look quite right with the crispness of the chevrons - then I came across the lovely Kaisercraft set of sentiments.

Let's move straight onto this week's 'peek at the picks', and it's a quick canter as I'm typing this in between household chores and the possibility of more of the dreaded ironing. I just emptied the basket the other day and another load hopped in when I turned my back!

I think this card, made by Megan, is just so, so pretty! A perfect design and really pleasing on the eye. Love the flowers and that butterfly is a beauty - and I was also reminded me of my own neglected washi tape. Too much stuff and not enough time here!

Kathy K literally flew right into the Playground with this fabulous male card. Stunning background (Kathy excels at those) and the whole image has such a sense of movement. I really love this card!

I know, I do try to spread the weekly picks around you, but I just had to include this card made by Liz - who does feature here quite a bit. It was for her DT spot on Mo's Rudolph Days Challenge and a good few of you have already hopped over to admire this brilliant step card - isn't it great?

Sadly you're too late to enter this months challenge but I do recommend that you get ready for next month over at Mo's (25th to the end of the month, always anything goes so long as it's Christmas). Watch out here for a die set the same as Liz used - it will be on offer at some point in the future. I need help, I just can't help myself :(

I was delighted to find that Sue (Olliesmam) had hopped into the Playground this week after a bit of an absence. We missed you Sue - and what a fabulous card you brought to share! The attention to detail is wonderful and such a bright and happy card too.

Ha! Would that teatime in the Playground was conducted with as much decorum :)

It was also great to see Gail back playing with us this week after a little absence. I picked this card because it's another fabulous male card, love the neutral shades Gail has chosen. And, right now Gail is crafting in a caravan whilst helping to look after a caravan site. That's dedication for you :)

And final pick - the irrepressible Judy (aka PJ) scampered into the Playground with this lovely card. It's so fresh and a great way to use up little snippets of white paper for stamping. Sure looks very Spring-like to me.

We have one new Playmate this week, and what a sweetie she is. We were her very first challenge entry after about five years blogging!
And what a first entry too! A huge welcome to Theresa from all of us - I love this card, fabulous design, wonderful colours and the texture is terrific. Plus use of snippets of course:) Also, Theresa (based in the USA) is having a 'downsizing' clear out of craft goodies, mostly stamp sets I think, so I do suggest you pop over to say hello as well as take a peek at what's on offer.

Hope to see you playing along with us again Theresa - do beware of bad influences though, I already discovered that you've been invited to 'partake of some refreshments' by at least one scallywag! And I don't mean tea and scones either, sigh.

Now for the prize draw, for the set of four Cuttlebug 'Coolio' embossing folders and the Memory Box 'Woodland Branch' die. And the winner is:
Well done Jenny! I do have your address here, will need to take a trip to the local Post Office sometime this week to post your package off to Oz :)

And this coming week's prize is made up of a couple of items, the same as I used for my snippets card:
Yup, it's a set of 'Peek-a-boo Chevron' dies, made by MFT, and a Kaisercrafts 4 x sentiments stamp set called' True Friendship' (some really nice wording there too).
 
The Snippets Challenge will run for one week and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 7th May. The gates will open again at midnight UK time on the same day.

A maximum of ONE entry and please say in a comment if you wish to play and be a possible winner of the prize. If you only want to play for either the die or the sentiments stamps, just say so in your comment and if you win then I'll do a further draw for the other item. Please also link back to the Playground in your blog post to be eligible for the draw.

Mr Linky is below - please let me know if you have any problems linking, it's easy for me to sort out so don't struggle on alone :)

Hope you have a lovely week and I look forward to seeing you in the Playground.

Di and, of course, Parsnip (a 'Pickle' as one sweet commenter said last week!)
x

58 comments:

  1. If I rolled naked in the dew at early morning, someone would bring me to the hospital with the bronchopneumonia as minimum... and they would also bring me immediately from the psychiatrist haha :D
    Happy first day of May. I'm going to sleep, in Italy it's 1.40 of night :)
    Beautiful picks of the week, and I'm in love expecially with Megan's and Theresa's cards.
    Your CAS has a stunning wonderful design, so classy with these chevrons and your choice of colours! Great sentiment, too!!
    Hugs, have a good Sunday!
    P.S. My prize has arrived safely, and the hedgehugs are just a delight!!! I can't wait to use them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I popped in bright and early this week, not many friends here yet. but your card is super fun, and the chevrons and sentiment are perfect. Would love to play along for the prize this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful use of the MFT chevrons, Di! I have them & mostly they just sit in the basket, but you've inspired me! Really great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your snippets card and will be in the playground soon - I would love a chance of winning this week's prize. Great picks this week too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for my win Di : )
    A CAS card but still intricate with all those little inlain chevron bits.
    Great picks as usual.
    Count me in for the prize draw (although it might be considered a bit greedy for me to win again so soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di, A huge Thank you for the pick of the week! I'm happy to be featured with such a stunning group of cards! Have a wonderful week... hope to be back in the playground this week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Di and happy May Day and yes I did all those things at dawn, only problem was there was a mins 2 frost so the dewdrops turned to ice and I ended up with frostbit in the most unwanted places !!

    Very unusual dies and great use of them on your stylish card.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning Di ....yep up at dawn done it all.....lol your card is adorable as always and love the die and sentiment great win for someone this week.....congrats Jenny and another array of cards ....hope you have a lovely day take care x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool chevrons Di, they do remind of tyre tracks too. Count me in for the prize :)

    Super picks, they are very inspiring. Urm, I missed the dew treatment, will I have more wrinkles next winter? One of my students actually gave me a gift a while ago, an anti wrinkle serum and a small pocket torch...to see my wrinkles the better?

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Di, A lovely contemporary card from you today. What fun you must have had making this one ans such lovely sentiments too.

    Congratulations to Jenny on her win and to your Top Picks. A lovely selection of inspirational cards again this week. Hello to our new playmate! Barbxx



    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo am loving the way you have used this fabby chevrons die and how versatile it will be too, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Jenny on your win. Love your card Di, very effective.

    Love to be considered for the prize this week .

    Crafty hugs Pen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morning all, just uploaded my entry .. thanks so much for selecting my card as one of your "picks". Congrats to the winner and other picks too. Just playing for fun again this week

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had known about that legend many years ago but that ship has sailed as far as sunburn and wrinkles for me. If I walked in the dew this morning I would have to be very careful as I haven't cleaned up the dog poo today. Moving on, your card today is very cool with the chevrons and inlaid bright colors. I love your picks as always. You have a great eye for art. Happy May Day from your friend with wrinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Miss Di

    Sorry, I can't sign up to the naked dew rolling ritual. My Mum always said to "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" and I have still have to do as she says. LOL!!

    Great card from you today. Love the finished look .. .. certainly a great die for using up snippets. A brilliant sentiment stamp set too.

    Just playing for fun this end.

    Love and hugs and happy May to everyone

    Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to Jenny H for her win, and I love all of the featured creations this week that continue to inspire and make me smile! Your card is really a fun one Di, but I imagine it took you a while to insert all of those negative pieces in such a great pattern! I love the end result! Thanks for another wonderful snippet playground, but I'm playing just for fun this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your card, definitely a labour of love inserting all those pieces. Great picks as always this week. Yes please to the draw. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These chevrons are something a bit different Di and look great with the different colour inserts and the lovely Kaisercraft sentiment added. Great picks again this time and congratulations to Jenny H. Can I be entered for just the chevron dies please. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol, I didn't take you up on your suggestion of rolling naked in my garden - didn't fancy spending the day in the local nick!
    Beautiful card, Di, and great picks too! Yes please to be in your draw for your goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great card, Di and love that sentiment.
    Some fabulous picks. Sorry didn't make it this week.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good evening Di, no romping for me..just a lot of gardening in this glorious sunshine. A great card today, very original.Lovely pics and welcome to Teresa. I'll just be playing for fun this week. Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday.Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great card Di! And a wonderful way to use the chevron die ... love the colours you've used.

    Romping au naturel sounds a bit drastic and I'm pretty sure my neighbours would faint, so I'll pass on that. I already have freckles, sunburn and wrinkles ... there's no going back. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes please for the prize - I just love those dies and stamps

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the sentiments, so if I should win: they are very welcome!
    Love your card with chevrons, a great idea.
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely cas card -- and also very inspiration if I end up being the lucky winner of the prize(s). YES PLEASE for them :)

    No card from me today, I shall be popping in again tomorrow and have something for the playground.

    Have a wonderful new week!

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats to Jenny on her win.
    SUPER picks you've chosen Di.

    Love the cool, contemporary look of your snippets card too. FAB!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello and Happy May to you all. Congrats to Jenny on winning last week! Beautiful picks again this week, Di and your chevron card looks amazing. Playing just for fun this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fab card - that die looks like an awesome way to use up some snippets! Love all the picks again this week!
    I'm a 'yes please' for the prize draw :0)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm liking your chevron card and thanks for explaining a fuss free way of achieving the result. I hope you don't mind if I pop a fabric snippet project in this week and I'm just playing for fun. Mr. Blogger seems to have changed the way the links show up in posts but hopefully it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. YAHOO! I am here on the playground again this week by the very thin strips of snippets (like hair on my chinny chin chin?heehee) I have a final exam (realtor coming to assess house) this week to see the house so no time to play. Pray I ace the test (we sell fast and for what we need to get.) Now to the post.
    I dont need the prize but would love love comments and visits to my sale items. Today is the last day for FREE shipping.
    This chevron card is very unique. I can see using that die to create some very interesting designs. Whom ever gets that, please experiment. Looks like fun.
    I want to say thanks to all the visitors I had last week. Best welcome party I ever had on a playground!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fab card Di love the coloured chevron strips yes please to the draw

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like you had a lot of time on your hands fiddling in all those little pieces....looks cool so and well worth the effort!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sorry, I think I just play along for the fun of it :) - not as patient as you...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the legend.....might try the dew next year, if it isn't too late, LOL. Would love to be entered for the great prize :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Di! Long time no see!! Love your chevron card and love the idea of Parsnip aka Pickle! Yes please to lovely prize :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love, love your pretty chevron card...what fabulous colors it is too...really cool die, so yes to that! We used to make paper May baskets when we were kiddos and deliver them to the neighbors with picked flowers. We had a pretend May Pole using the clothesline pole...LOL...great imaginations then without all the electronics!

    ReplyDelete
  37. A little late to the party this week, Di, but life isn't being so good to me at the moment so I'm trailing behind with everything. Love your card and so agree that flowers and other falderals would not have looked right with the chevrons. Your solution is perfect. As usual the 'pick of the peeks' is fabulous - love all the cards - they are so inspirational. Off to have a wee peek at this weeks snippet makes. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    PS: my days of running up Arthur Seat (in Edinburgh) to wash my face in the May dew are long gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Clever use of the chevrons die Di, makes for a great card. Wonderful picks again too. I have that stamp so am just playing for fun, have a great week, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  39. love the chevrons you used on your card Di! I've just uploaded my card for the week and would love a chance at the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello Di! :-) Thank you so much for this amazing party!
    Love you Clean and Simple layout... the attention focuses immediately to the awesome sentiment!
    Yes please, if possible, I'd love to be entered to draw for the lovely prize.
    Thank you once again!
    Hugs and Smiles :-)
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  41. Missed the details of the May Day traditions, so will have to wait until next year to find the May 1st early morning dew! ;-)

    Fabulous card, Di, I really love this. Super colour scheme and and a great design.

    Thank you so much for choosing my card as one of your picks. The step die is a brilliant die to use and there is going to be one happy Playmate when one comes up as the prize.

    I love the prize this week, so please pop my name into the hat for the draw.
    CCF xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful snippets card Di.
    Yes, please for the prize.
    Hugs, Valerija

    ReplyDelete
  43. I entered in the challenge. Yes, please for the prize :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. Fun CAS card...love the chevrons...such a cute look! great picks this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just playing for fun Di. My internet is playing up so just hope everything works. I am blaming the weather!!!
    hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  46. Here I am Miss. All present and correct.

    Playing just for fun thanks.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm a bit late in checking in this week Di, but here now!
    Great card you have made, something a bit different! I'm playing along for fun.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, it's late at night, after not much sleep the night before so I'm not even sure if I already left a comment or not...but Yes please to the prize! I do have to say that you probably deserve a medal after pasting all those fiddly little bits into your chevron design...but that card is oh so impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Miss Di, and the lovely Parsnip.
    Yes please if I'm lucky.
    Congrats to Jenny on her win, and congrats to your picks of the week.
    Super snippets make today that looks very complicated to do.
    I always love your wonderful creations as they are always so perfectly created.
    Only used 1 snippet on my entry this week so I hope that constitutes a snippet make.
    Thank you for all your hard work involved in this wonderful challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Super card Miss Di, love the inlaid chevrons and great sentiment. Just playing for fun again this week - love the die but would never have the patience to use it
    Fabulous picks again and A big hi to the new playmate with her wonderful card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oooh Di I love that sentiment and you have framed it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Am finally getting around to some commenting Miss been AWOL having wee bloggy break so doing bit of catch up!
    Looks like folks in playground have been super-uber busy very fine work and must admit your chevron card is ace indeed!
    Do love the dies and those stamps are simply grand!
    Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Miss Di! :-) Love your card! So simple yet gorgeous! Would love to play for the sentiments stamp this time! Sending you lots of sunshine from France! xx Renata S.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Sorry I'm late to the party and missed the naked dew rolling shenanigans - although after my hypothermia event my vest is staying firmly ON until the thermometer hits 28. Yes please to the prize if I'm lucky, although I can't promise to do all the fiddly inlaying on the die cuts, I'm more likely to use a contrasting background to peep out through the cuts (lazy me).
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Di. I have just linked my card. I thought I had linked it on Tuesday afternoon and put the link to here but must have had a senior moment because I forgot to link it back to my blog...silly me! I was beginning to wonder if there was something amiss as you hadn't been to visit yet and now I know why..lol. Just typical because for once it would have been reasonably early in the week but it was not to be. x

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Di....this time i want to play for die....hope my entire is eligible for the playground.....

    ReplyDelete
  57. your card is simply amazing, I love your design, it is perfect nad I love CAS.
    yes for the prize, please and have a great sunny day,
    tina

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love that chevron die, Di! Makes for a great graphic card design. I would like to play for the die this week. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.