Friday 11 November 2016

Less is More - Challenge #301 - Purple and Gold

The current challenge over at Less is More is to use 'purple and gold'. And appropriately enough, our own Purple Princess Kathy K was the really deserving winner for October over at LIM, well done Kathy!

Kathy is often the very first into Less is More on a Saturday morning, whilst I'm usually bringing up the rear at the end of the week! This is what I made:
I used:

- 3" x 6" white card blank (gonna have to make an envelope to fit as well, sigh)

- a slightly smaller panel of the same white card, with the centre die cut using a die which came free with a recent issue of Die-cutting Essentials magazine (along with an embossing folder which has yet to be tried out here)

- backed the die cut panel with medium strength double sided sticky paper, leaving one side still covered and the sticky side showing through the die cut

- then used the same die cut to cut a gold star from mirri card and the rest of the scene in two shades of purple and stuck all the little pieces in place, inlaid into the sticky apertures

- backed the panel with a slightly larger piece of gold mirri card

- glued the whole panel onto the card front

- lastly, stamped the word 'Rejoice' using a stamp from the Paper Smooches 'Christmas Sampler' set and Memento 'Elderberry' ink

As I knew it was going to be a bit fiddly with several sets of die cuts to work with, I made two at the same time. Not identical, the sentiment is at the bottom of the other card - the one shown here was die cut with the image at the bottom hence the sentiment at the top. Not really what I planned 'cos it was a lapse of concentration on my part when placing the die, but I like it for a change from my usual 'straight sentiments go underneath the image'.

Today is Armistice Day over here, 11th November:
LEST WE FORGET
 



26 comments:

  1. Oh, this is just wonderful, Di!
    Hugs, Liv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out, Di, loving your purple and gold card, very classy

    Happy Friday

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very elegant - clever trick with the sticky for the inlaid pieces and one I must remember next time I do something like this with dies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous Di! Really stunning and such an elegant, tranquil scene. Loving your use of inlaid dies, and I really like the sentiment at the top. It's different, and looks great. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very effective card Di and I like the sentiment a top the card...creatures of habit are we not? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. May we not forget the fallen l wear my poppy with pride...............your card is lovely Di the die is stunning, the gold and purple along with white are beautiful colours together your so talented at lim cards sending lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the inlaid die technique - can't stop doing it at the moment LOL! This looks fab, especially in those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning Di, I love the paper piecing/inlay that you've done on this card.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very pretty Di using another great freebie and the inlaid parts work beautifully with the colours of the LIM theme. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic die cutting Di! Really love this one.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Diane, this is a gorgeous CAS card. I think, it is so difficult to make CAS, so I am admiring your work!
    The lovely Mouse stamps have arrived and I am soooo pleased with them! You will see a card with them soon, I promise.
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you love how things seem to fall together on their own when you had completely different ideas to begin with? This is just lovely Di, and with great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see, that I have written Mouse stamps and ofcourse that's wrong! I mean HEDGEHOG stamps and they are adorable!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning and just perfect for our purple and gold challenge Di, always love to see you play along with us at Less is More and I've now got some serious stash envy going on! Thanks so much for joining us. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I picked up this mag then put it down .....didn't think I would use the die much - wish I'd got it now!
    Perfick Chrizzie Card Di. Luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing CAS!! Love the pieces in two colours plus the golden star, great techinque used here!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card Di, very elegant xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally gorgeous card and I have been racking my brain all day to try to come up with the Hymn that has Rejoice, rejoice, in it, I won't keep tonight now.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have put this beautiful scene together perfectly, Di! Great use of dies and this week's colour combo. Thank you, as always, for playing along with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well now I do like this. I like the die too and I usually shy away from Nativity type scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, you nailed the colour combo with this classy Christmas card Di. It is just beautiful and well worth the effort you put into it. Hee, hee! I am now going to see you and Kathy as beautiful bookends to our LIM entries!! Thanks so much for sharing this one with us at Less is More xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow--what an amazing die & gorgeous card, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This card looks stunning! I love the two shades of purple and beautiful inlay. Wonderful card.
    Hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Miss Di, a stunning card, came back for a peek after making one with navy and gold... have a great week... Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.