Wednesday 17 June 2015

Skimming along the waves

We recently needed a 16th Birthday card for one of Len's great-nephews but I'm not really into making male cards for that age group, and know little about his hobbies - although they live close to the sea. So I opted for a generic male card:
I used:

- A5 white card blank

- plain navy backing paper and a piece of striped paper from a Papermania 'Capsule Collection' paper pad

- the image is an Anita's ready coloured topper from the 'Sailing' die cut toppers set

- sentiment is from the same set, with a white Josy Rose nail head at either end

Super-fast card, once I found all the bits to make it with of course!

Tip for today - pre-made die cuts with dark backgrounds such as the sentiment on this card can sometimes end up with little white 'pips' where they've been attached to the (usually white or a light colour) main sheet of toppers. These can be trimmed off easily with small scissors, but sometimes there will be a little bit of white left visible so I just run a matching marker pen round the edge of the whole die cut. I use Whispers markers for this as Pro Markers just might bleed a bit. Failing that, a medium grey marker pen run right round the edge would probably work well either - just to take away any patchy white bits.

Di
x

19 comments:

  1. Very nice male card. I have so few of them in my stash, I really need to make some to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great male card. I never have enough of them...we seem to mail out more male type cards...whereas the feminine cards are hand delivered and can get a little chuinkier in depth.
    This one is perfect for the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely card, very elegant and CAS. Thanks for the tip about those annoying edge pips! I try to avoid them by using my craft knife to release the die cut from the main sheet, and if there are any left I remove them with fine sandpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the yacht Di and the background with the striped paper works really well for the sea. Thanks for the tip about getting rid of the 'pips' and running a promarker or similar round the edge is a great idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great design for a 'man' card Diane, lovely!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  6. On phone due 2dodgy BB connection. Love the look of this masculine card x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip, thanks! :)
    And fabulous male card, love this striped paper, perfect for the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card Di! It makes me long to be near the ocean again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great masculine card Di, and I think it would be great for a 16 year old that lives by the sea! Love the striped paper and that sail boat image. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Classy male design ...love it Di!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a dreamy, serene kind of card! You've chosen the perfect image and matching papers for it, and it's a wonderful card! L.O.V.E.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip. And the card came out wonderful. I really like that striped paper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the image and a great card Di.
    Thanks for my prize, it arrived safely and thank you too for the lovely little card and the top tip. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card, Di, and that's a super tip to remember. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great card for a young man. Thanks for the tip about going around the edges. I laughed out loud when I read your comment on my blog. That is exactly what I did! Cleaned up a bit when I found out they were coming. It was so quick I didn't have time to do much. They called Tuesday at 4 pm and said she would be there at 10 am the next day. Sounds like you are a gal after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great masculine card. I love how you've created the background with part plain and part striped. Thanks for the tip. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is perfect--love it, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This generic male card is anything but generic. It is quite nice. Your tips are spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.