Sunday 29 March 2015

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 170

If you live in the UK, remember to change your clocks (2am Sunday) - sigh, an hour's less sleep but the evenings will be lighter of course :)

My snippets card this week is also my second entry into Darnell's NBUS Challenge, where you have to use something for the first time. There are really generous prizes to be won and you have until 31st March to nip in with up to three entries.
 
I used two NBUS items on my snippets 'Congrats' card - yay:
I used:

- 4" x 4" square white card blank

- snippets of turquoise and green card stock for the outer 'frames' to tone with the main panel

- the main panel was a lot of angst in some ways, made over a few weeks to be honest as I couldn't decide just where it was going - it almost went in the bin a couple of times! First of all I took a snippet of watercolour card and played around with blue and green Brushos. The result was much too dark so I put it to one side

- the next play was with a template of circles I'd made from acetate and a white stamping pad in an effort to emulate the 'bokeh' technique. Ack, still too dark and the white hardly showed at all so I put it to one side - agaaaaaaaaaaaaain

- then I spotted a lovely card over at Kathy K's blog the other week here and was fired up to have another try. This time I used a new stencil for the first time (a Clearsnap ColorBox Art Screen called 'Rounded' - I bought mine from The Stampman here in the UK). I stuck the stencil in place for the first pass but then wiped it and added more circles afterwards - using a foam makeup sponge and Daler Rowney's White Graduate Acrylic Colour. Finally things were looking up, albeit not as well defined as Kathy's fabulous work

- at this point I decided not to mess about with the background any more - always another day to try again :) So, I got out another NBUS item and proceeded to make a 'camouflaged die cut' word, the NBUS die I used is Sizzix 'Phrase, Congrats #2'

- I've explained in more detail how to do this previously - here. Basically you cut the die out of the coloured background and then cut (say) three more words the same just from ordinary card and layer them up into the die cut aperture you created before topping off with the top layer of the patterned word/ shape or whatever you're using. The main thing to remember is to keep any solid little pieces that might be cut from the top layer - on this card it was the middle of the 'O', the inner of the 'R', a couple of pieces in the 'A' and a bit within the loop of the 'S'. Do not throw these away - you'll need to add them once all the layers have been built up, they just popped into place down inside the letters at the same level as the background

- then I just added a few clear 'bubble' domes here and there

OK, let's move onto this week's picks:

Kathy bounced right into the Playground waving some great ATCs - gotta love those Tim Holtz 'Bird Crazy' images - given the Kathy treatment :)


Just look what you can make with a variety of punches and some snippets! Kim brought this fabulous butterfly card to share with us.

I immediately fell in love with this beautiful layout, made by Vinita. So dimensional and that little poppet in the photo is our very own Vinita, aged two - soooo cute!

I love, love how Laura used little snippets to make this clever card - and all the details of how to make one the same are there on Laura's blog with step by step photos too!

Diane H skipped in at almost the last minute, with this beautiful card - what a splash of Summer!

And the winner of last week's prize, the Dovecraft goodies of paper, doilies and felt embellishments kindly donated by Jane is:
Well done Kath, I have your address here and will post your prize off to you during  this week.

This coming week's prize is linked to my snippets make for today:
Yup, it's the same as the die and stencil I used today - no acrylic paint I'm afraid. It's bad enough not being able to send liquid goodies abroad but even within the UK they've cracked down. Certainly it's like a cross-examination whenever I go to the Post Office these days - I don't mind if it makes life safer for folk but it does curtail some goodies I'd like to offer as prizes here.

The Snippets Challenge will run for one week and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 4th April (Easter weekend folks!). The gates will open again at midnight UK time on the same day.

Maximum of three entries and please say 'Yes please' (or similar) in a comment if you wish to play and be a possible winner of the prize. If you only fancy one or other of the items in the prize then just say so - I could then do a second draw for the other part, but the two items are up for grabs as one prize!

Mr Linky is below - do please let me know if you have any problems linking, it's easy for me to sort out so don't struggle on alone :)

Di and of course, Parsnip!
x

50 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! I have yet to try this bokeh technique but it's been on my list of techniques to try. I'm going to make my own stencil with acetate and hope for the best LOL! I like how you did the sentiment too - this technique always looks fab! Your picks look wonderful - I am especially smitten with Vinita's and I fell in love with it when I saw it on her blog! The butterfly looks gorgeous too! Congrats to the lucky winner! I'll be back tomorrow to play along, and as always I'll say yes to the prize - thank you! The prize looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Di your card is gorgeous l so like your background and the fabulous die word nice too that you framed it with the green card and added those clear bubble domes which l haven't seen before l must investigate these they are so effective .....Many congrats to Kath enjoy your win Kath and another gorgeous showcase too ....hope you enjoy your Sunday take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Di for choosing my LO in your top picks and Thanks to Kitty also for her sweet words:)). And other top picks are brilliant too!!!
    Di, I have also tried Bokeh technique and its fun! love your BG and stunning work done on the phrase Congrats for the dimension, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card Di, LOVE the inky painty background, it looks marbled, just beautiful. Gorgeous showcase too. Yes please to the prize as I'd love to try CASEing your card! Have a great week, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely make and picks, deeply flattered you picked my bird crazy ATC's from last week, thank you, Di

    Just uploaded my entry this week - YES PLEASE

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool card Di, love that background.
    As usual count me in for the prize draw : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card Di as always.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bokeh card is stunning.Love your background that you created...well done you!

    The sentiment cut this way is so effective. I would like to be included for the prize draw please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fab card Di. Thank you to you and Mr Random for picking me for the winner of your Dovecraft goodies. As I've just won your fab prize, I'll be playing for fun this week.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great card ! The background is great ! I recognize what you meant by almost in the bin ! But it worked out great !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, thanks a bunch for the pick :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome picks again Miss! Love the card you did too... me and Brushos have a love/hate relationship - I love them but hate everything I do with them! LOL - but am gonna try and do somefink and share this week.... x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is fabulous Di, I love the background you made and the camouflaged die technique, it is on my things to try list.
    sorry I haven't been round much to comment this week, I am still trying to get to grips with my new computer. I have someone coming today to give me a hand. To add to that Blogger has locked me out so I have no reading list and no way to make a new post. I have no idea how to solve that but hope it sorts itself out soon.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is phenomenal Di! WOW, I love that fancy watercolor background with the water droplets! Awesome! Speaking of awesome, how about this week's spotlighted cards?! Amazing work ladies, and congrats to Kath for her win! woot woot! This week I'll say yes please to the prize, as I may have ruined 2 punches trying to create my own template on thick acetate to do this Bokeh technique! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your card! I just tried the Bokeh technique and I love it for backgrounds. Yes, I'm playing for the prize this week. Ta Ta For Now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you kept with this background because it's so pretty! Love the way you've done the die cut too! Great picks this week. Now to see what's been going on the past couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous and varied collection of picks this week! And your card is brilliant, I really must try the bokeh technique. I'd like to go in the hat this week please

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card, Di. The camouflage technique is so effective and your background is stunning. I must get some word dies so I can have a play.

    Great selection of picks as always. Congratulations to Kath on her win.

    Please put me in the pot for the draw this week. What a lovely prize! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Miss, I just love your make this week - such great techniques. Glad you stuck with it. Fantastic prize this week, gonna have to make sure I enter. Thanks so much for picking my card to show this week and good luck to everyone x

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a fabulous background to your card. I bet you are glad you persevered. I'm interested to see how you added the word and popped in the cut out bits. So many wonderful cards here again. Yes please to the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful week full of inspiration. Congrats to everyone! I just adore the way your sentiment is blended in with the background! It really looks amazing, Di. It reminds me of water that has splattered on the pavement, ever so softly. I would love in for the prize, just as soon as I can get something loaded in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to all the winners and picks - I am so in love with the bokeh technique but not tried it yet lol! Kathy's bird ATC are so fabulous - I so want that stamp set!

    Your green Brusho BG card are is stunning - more goodies I now need lol! Now I'm up to date with my crafting chores, all photographed, edited and scheduled - yay - may get more time to enter again therefore it's a big yes please for me with the draw. I think my Brusho's will be coming out this week. Hope you have a good one Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. A most impressive card Miss and a great selection of top picks. Yes please stick me in the pot and give it a stir. Gonna get a bit manic (no change there then) over th enext few weeks. Major reconstruction afoot. Dun menshun clocks forward. The Doc spent hours getting 3 clocks exactly into cinch with each other to the nano second.!! He said he was going to leave them until after the electrician had been tomorrow but his OCD got the better of him so now we have to go through the whole procedure again . Oh Happy days !!!!!!!!! hugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally gorgeous background and a fabulous card.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW - I am loving your background even though it caused you some distress. Great result.

    Congrats on the showcased girls and to Kath for winning last week's prize.

    I really, really, really WANT that stencil (I was looking at it in my LCS last week) . . . so could I go in the draw just for the stencil this week please Miss? Already have a Congrats die, so would be happy for that to go to another playmate.

    Big hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your card Di with the camouflage technique. The Brusho piece is so pretty and the added white circles emulating the Bokeh technique add just the right touch. I hadn't heard of this until recently. I love the highlighted cards this week. The ladies are all so clever with their ideas, and congratulations to Kath for winning. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great save on the background. It ended up coming out lovely. And that camouflage technique is really cool. I'm going to have to give that a try.

    Great picks from last week.

    And I would like to be in the drawing just for the stencil this week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, wow, wow! Good thing you didn't just throw it away as you ended up with such a gorgeous card, Di! The picks have my jaw on the floor--so much inspiration here! Please put my name in the drawing this week. We already moved to daylight time & the long evenings are worth loosing the 1 hr of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your background may have been loads of work , but it is fabulous great card. Yes to the draw this week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooo what a fabby collection of cards and all so different too.

    This is my first time of entering, but i'm going to try and enter again.

    I would love to be added to the fabby prize draw too, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a fab technique Miss and it looks fantastic with the brusho background. Another fab collection of picks this week too. My card has the tiniest amount of snippets possible I think, but I'll be back on Wednesday with another one that uses a lot of them! Yes please to the draw this week.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow - what a card- so glad you did not throw it into the bin - would have been a sin (could not resist the rhyme here...) So gorgeous with those brushos and bokeh! I agree, those white circles require an awful lot of sponging, but in the end its worth the effort! Gorgeous cards you featured here - have to go and visit some of those blogs now.... Have a great day, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Aaaah thank you for leaving me such a fabby comment - i thought it was about time i tried to join in with you as my fellow DT member Lynn joins in regularly.

    Oooo i better not tell my 8 year old son that you have got a hedgehog in your garden, as that's his favourite animal, we have done all the things to encourage them to visit our garden, but to no avail :-(, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't see the added circles to your background until you pointed them. Now I can't not see them I think they were just what you needed to tone it down. I really like that technique you used. I think it does best with bold sold word dies (meaning not any of the kind I own-tee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  35. Flying in here to play along Di! I love, love your card! The colors are so pretty and I love the way your die cut word is hidden in those colors. So pretty! I am also stunned once again at the talent those in your picks! I think I need to rub elbows with everyone. lol Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  36. Woo Hoo! I am here to play again! ^_^
    Love your card Di! Especially that background so pretty! Oh and yes please include me in the prize draw this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you once again for your kind support of my NBUS Challenge, Di, and for playing along again with this gorgeous card! I'm SO glad that you didn't give up b/c it is so pretty and very bokeh to me in the end!! Of course, I love the colors! I don't think I'll make the Playground this week with Easter prep and my NBUS commenting. Give everyone a big hug from me and Happy Easter to all!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely card highlights as always and I do LOVE your clever card design Di! I would love to be included in the prize draw!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely card Di just love how you'e used the die with the background.....lovely picks this week too

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fabulous technique! I thought the word was deeply embossed until I read your post!
    Joining in , just for fun!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great picks as always. I think your way of making your card is easier than when I tried it! Yes please to the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love, love your background..beautiful!!! Thank you for picking my card as one of the "picks"..I am very honored and congrats to the others as well!
    As for the "prize"...yes of course..lol..thanks bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Miss Di & the lovely Parsnip.
    yes please to the prize if I'm lucky.
    Great picks of the week, and congrats to the winner.
    Oh what a really fab creation you have created here.
    You are a very excellent crafter.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  44. That is one really gorgous card Miss Di, fabulous top picks too. Congrats to Kath - it really is turning out to be a very lucky week for you.
    Oh and please can I go in the hat this week for that super prize xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fantastic Bokeh style card Miss Di, fabulous picks and congratulations to Kath.

    Please put me in the draw this week.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  46. Stick me in the pot Miss. I'm now going to lie down in a very quite place till all this is over. Just taken me 6 hrs to post in HTML code. Makes algebra look like counting beans. Hugs Me or could be her .

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Di
    I love your bubbliscous card it reminds me of the washing up liquid blow paintings we used to do in school - except yours is much more grown up and refined!
    Just playing for fun this week thank you.
    Happy Easter
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am turning up a bit late again this week, and I'm sorry Di I was sure I had already commented here but don't see it. I love your card the background looks great and camouflage technique is so effective, I really must get round to trying it.Yes please to be in the draw.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am turning up a bit late again this week, and I'm sorry Di I was sure I had already commented here but don't see it. I love your card the background looks great and camouflage technique is so effective, I really must get round to trying it.Yes please to be in the draw.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Popping by with a card to drop off. Yes to the prize, please.

    Some great picks here...always enjoy these posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.