Monday 29 August 2011

Anyone for tea?

A couple of young ladies living in Germany have birthdays coming up in the next few weeks - Mia and Olivia, our grand daughters. Rather than be caught 'on the hop', I'm making their cards with plenty of time in hand - just so long as I remember to post them in time! Mia will be 4, she's very 'girlie' and just loves to play at tea parties and baking so this is for her. These photos are rubbish, light here isn't playing ball! The background paper on the front piece of the card is pale pink with little roses on, and pale pink with little white spots on (to match her scarf) on the base piece of the card.

This has just reminded me - my Grandma used to wear a headscarf tied just like that when she was about to take the mats/carpets up, hang them over the washing line and beat the living daylights out of them :)) And she paddled my rear end more than once with the rattan carpet beater thingy if I got under her feet while she was doing it!!
Front view

From the side
And a close up of the flower
It's another easel card using papers from Pink Petticoat's Vintage Rose Collection (free with Quick Cards Made Easy a while ago) and one of LOTV's pre-coloured Cute Squares for the image. I emphasise (today's big word) that the image was pre-coloured so I had to work round that - also I can't take any credit for the colouring. Shame LOTV don't produce these sets any longer, although they do something similar.

I made the flower earlier last week (thanks Bernie for the inspiration!) using some luscious ribbon sent to me by Lavinia. The flowers are such fun to make and I've been working on some more too. Both these girls have blogs that are really worth a look - some gorgeous work going on there!

Umm, what else did I throw at the card - ah, pleated lace following inspiration and a great tutorial from Bev Rochester, a filigree corner from my stash (bought from eBay ages ago but now stocked by Wild Orchid Crafts), velvet ribbon, pearl slider (which I'm sure came from Dee who hops in here now and then), pearls, charms and baker's twine all from my stash. Lavinia sent me some great baker's twine in stronger colours so I'll be playing with that soon!

The Birthday sentiment and cupcake stamps came in a set called 'Time for Tea' - again free with Quick Cards Made Easy. I coloured the cupcakes with Pro Markers and those Ultra Fine nibs came in handy when it came to colouring the plate stand :)

So, that's one card all done. My beloved OH then asked what I was going to make for Olivia (Livi) when it's her 2nd birthday on the horizon. That's one of the next things to tackle - a bit more tricky as she's more interested in how things work rather than dainty tea parties. He suggested something with lots of buttons to press (I don't think he's forgotten a toddler here in May walking straight to the main PC tower unit with one finger sticking out and then a quick press followed by the sound of a PC dying!). I think perhaps an interactive card is a good idea (Grandad does have some good ideas I must admit!) - maybe a slider card. What's the betting little Livi will have it apart in minutes to see how it works?!! Watch this space :))

I haven't entered many challenges for a while, apart from the MUST which is Jules' Crafty Snippets Challenge (OK, Jules, that card is next on my 'to-do' list!!). But, I've spotted a few challenges which this card fits so here goes:


Creative Card Crew - Handmade Flowers

Crafts and Me Challenge - Lace

Speedy the Cat's Friends Challenge - Lace

Phindy's Place - Make your own embellishment

That's me for now - the sun is actually shining here right now, What? Surely not, it's an English Summer and a Bank Holiday for goodness sakes!!

Di
x

21 comments:

  1. Lots going on on that card Di and it all works so beautifully. That image is so cute. Mia will love it, no doubt about that.Dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous creation. LOVE that flower you made . . . will have to check out Bernie's tutorial.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty cards you have there. As for sun - it maybe out but it is still cold here in Wales!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's definitely pink and girlie isn't it....!!!! Love the lace edging, so cute. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Di. How about a lift the flap card for the two year old with maybe a photo of her under the flap?....I made one like that for our two year old granddaughter and she loved it.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Annie, that's food for thought! Thanks hun!! Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mia will love her birthday card, all lovely and girlie love the lace and the flower. What a clever Nanny she has, and Grandad helping with the next card. Great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning, I love it. Thank you for joining us at CCC xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very pretty card. I'm sure Mia will love it. I have just used a teacup on a card for my Grand-daughter but I can't show it until after 11th Sept. as Hannah will be 12 and she follows my blog.
    Such a shame you are at the Ally Pally on Sunday. We have to go Saturday as I am due at the airport at 5.00 Monday morning and I will need Sunday to repack all my purchases!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty card. I love the lace and the design. What a cute image as well. Thanks for playing along with us here at Speedy the Cat's Friends challenge this week. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Di, this card is stunning love the lace at the bottom its beautiful, she will just love this so don't forget to post it or you'll be in trouble!!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww this is precious. I love how you did your lace. The flower looks amazing with the charms hanging from it. What a beautiful masterpiece. Thank you for playing along with Speedy the Cat's Challenge this week. It is a pleasure to visit and see your work. We appreciate your support and hope you can play again next week. Good luck in the drawing.

    Bear Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Di this is stunning and so girly. I'm sure it'll be a big hit. Those flowers are fun. So simple but it makes us look like brilliant artists. Prima has nothing on us. Tee hee.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant card, just love the flower, great layout and prety papers.
    Gosh thought it was only people up north that wore those scarfs.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute easle card! The images are just wonderful! Great job on the challenge this week to use ribbon. I love all the details. Thanks for playing with us this week at Speedy the Cat's Friends challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so cute and what a gorgeous embellishment. Thanks for playing with Speedy the Cat. We're glad you chose us to play in after your absence from challenge land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Di ....what a lovely card, Mia is going to love it! I hope we get to see the card you make for Livi. Don't most 2 year olds want to know how things work? If it's not in their mouths they usually have it torn to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Groß Gott Di,
    What a beautiful card! I wish I could put things together like that. I'm sure the recipient will be delighted. Have you thought about a 'never-ending' card for the inquisitive toddler? Not so difficult to make once you get the hang of it and great to decorate.

    tchuss Angela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant idea Angie! I've made one before so sort of know the ropes - vielen danke!! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card. Love the colour. Thanks for playing wit us at Crafts and Me, and at Phindy`s Place. Hugs...Mona

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet card, lovely colours and details.
    Thanks for joining us at Phindys Place this week.
    Best wishes, Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.