As I always say, I love the Rudolph Days Challenge, started by our SaRn and now run (for a few years now!) by Maureen aka ScrappyMo.
Right now any die cutting is limited to using my baby Altenew die cutting machine - and I had just the NBUS die set, waiting for its first outing. This is what I made, which is a very close copy of a card on MFT's website using the same set of dies:I used:
- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, side opening
- a sheet of patterned paper from Whimsy's absolutely gorgeous 'Blurry Flurries' paper pack, trimmed to just smaller than the card front and set to one side
- snippets of olive green and lighter green card, which I die cut using the mistletoe branch from MFT's 'Mistletoe Kisses' set of dies - two of each shade of green
- having the branches die cut I could work out just where I wanted to position the sentiment. It's a red rubber stamp by Elzybells (sadly no longer trading) and took a bit of positioning but with the aid of the Misti, a ruler, an aacetate sheet with grid lines printed on (home produced by printing onto printer friendly acetate ages ago) and a test piece of the background paper (to check for any 'ink bleed' it worked really well! I used VersaFine Clair 'Nocturne' ink to stamp with - just be sure not to press too hard as the pad is very juicy
- at that point I glued the four branches onto the patterned panel using a Zig glue pen, the fourth one was placed quite high up directly over the stem of the centre one below - and all the main stems were sticking up at the top of the branches
- then used small scissors to snip the excess from the tops of the main stems, always do this from the back of the panel of paper or card for a true cut
- from the same set of dies I die cut the mistletoe berries and the little red bow, again from snippets of pearlised white card and deep red satin mirri card
- glued them in place using the Zig glue pen again
- final step was to glue the decorated panel to the card front, using Collall All Purpose glue
I knew when I set out that the Whimsy 'Blurry Flurries' paper pack has two of each design - so I made two cards of course! And immediately ordered another paper pack the same from Dies to Die For as I can see it being a favourite for 2021's Christmas cards. I might even make another two exactly the same, who knows? Some really pretty colours in the paper pack and all very gentle designs - just perfect for Christmas cards! As if I really need any more patterned paper, sigh. Perhaps it's time to be a bit ruthless and throw out some of the older ones which do look somewhat dated now.
To maintain fairness, I'm only playing for fun in both challenges as I followed MFT's design so closely. The one thing I did change was that the example I followed used white for the bow and red for the mistletoe berries. I've seen both waxy white and pale pink mistletoe berries here in England - but never red ones. Which apparently do exist - I suppose a bit like a holly bush we once had years ago with creamy white berries! Isn't nature wonderful - always full of surprises.