Wednesday 26 June 2019

Rudolph Days Challenge - June 2019

It seems quite a while since May's Rudolph Days challenge - run by the lovely ScrappyMo HERE. I like the monthly prompt to add to my stock of Christmas cards, and this time round managed to make seven cards for the June challenge, all the same:
I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, side opening on the short edge for a change

- a piece of slightly shimmery silvery grey card, trimmed to an eight of an inch smaller than the card front, all round (ie. 5.25 x 4") for the backing to frame the finished image panel

- white card onto which I stamped the tree background and falling snow from the Stampin' Up 'White Christmas' set of stamps, using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink

- then added the sentiment, also from the same set of stamps, trimmed the image panel down to just slightly smaller than the silvery grey layer as I wanted just a narrow silver grey frame and set the panel aside for now

-  next stamped the car and added the tree on top onto slightly thinner card as I was going to fussy cut them after colouring - thank goodness for the Misti, brilliant for 'batch baking' a load of cards all the same

- coloured the car with the tree on top using my much loved Whispers brush markers and then spent what seemed like a lifetime carefully fussy cutting seven of the little perishers! Why seven? Ah - that would be telling (basically there was a casualty when stamping the tree background which I couldn't save early on in the process - not even using the Sand Eraser)

- then I returned to the background itself and used a grey Whispers marker to colour the trees then tickled them with Clear Wink of Stella

- used a glue pen and some glitter dust to add some sparkle to the snow line and the snow in the sky area

- layered the image panel onto the silvery grey card then added that to the card front

- finally, stuck the car in place using a thin sticky pad

Despite almost losing the will to live with the fussy cutting, it was good fun making these cards and it also boosted my 'tally' to 43, wahoo!

I'd been hankering for this set of stamps for a while (I think they first came out in 2014) and was lucky enough to find a totally new set on a Facebook De-cluttering site a while back. Plus, they're clear polymer which, in combination with the Misti, did take a lot of the 'angst' away from the stamping process when building up the scene for the background and the tree on top of the car so it could all be cut in one piece.

We have a neighbour with a very similar car - but perhaps the sentiment isn't right for folk you see more often than some :)

I saw a few very similar designs on the Internet using this stamp set - the one I followed is by a SU demonstrator but I can't find it again, sigh. But, thank you - whoever you are :) One thing I would change - I would not add the glitter blobs to the falling snow, better to have left them well alone and she did. AND, that car has no driver!!


21 comments:

  1. I love the pretty and sparkly scene with the trees Di and the car with the tree on the top wending its merry way, and seven is a good number to boost your card total too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for making more Christmas cards. That's a plus. I love the sparkle on your card and the nice scene. Me and fussy cutting don't get along. I end up chopping off a petal, arm, head or other vital pieces to the card. I've been there with the sand eraser. Sometimes it works and other times you just need to pitch the boo boo in the recycle. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great card. What patience you have for all that fussy cutting. I really must make a start on mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool Rudolph Day card. Love the splash of red & green amongst the white. Fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous card and lovely Christmas scene - what patience you had with the fussy cutting!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card and of course very much ahead of its time having a driverless car which apparently is something we could be looking forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Di this is a gorgeous Christmas card. I love the scene you have created. Seven is a good number. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely card Di - and driverless cars are the newest 'in' thing!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful design made with your great find of stamps! Love the sharp contrast of color with the tree on the car and the white, snowy background with the sparkly road! Beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great fussy cut, and love the background with he sparkling snowfall!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a great admiration for folks that do fussy cutting. This is a lovely little scene, I like the trees as they look really wintery with no leaves and are a nice change from Christmas trees.
    Now, I have recently made a card with snow falling like this is on your card and of course they were stamped with black ink and the first time I used it I got the same effect as you have. The second time I stamped it I went over the falling snow blobs with a white pen and then glittered them.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea Kath! In fact, after taking the photo I went over all those flipping snowflakes on each card using a clear Wink of Stella pen and that 'eased off' the black rings. I could also see some of the blue of the glue pen - which should always dry clear. So much for that one! In future though, I'd most likely try your trick! Methinks that the glue pen reacts with the ink stamp maybe. OR, I only add some tickles of sparkle for the snowflakes and leave the stamp itself well alone? Thanks!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really like the glitter blobs, di! they're the first thing that caught my eye and i think they just add a bit of wintery effect to this lovely christmas card! i admire all that fussy cutting and love how the car pops. i wouldn't have the patience and my hands wouldn't cooperate anyway. ;) thank you so much for playing along with the rudolph days challenge!
    linda DT
    rudolph days challenge

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well it’s an electric car int it! Great little scene. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely sparkly snow scene Di. I have similar stamps to these, but they haven't seen any ink yet! I think I might have to draw a little stick man driving the car though. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply delightful hun, in fact you have inspired me to get a car stamp out for my next Xmas card ;-) and with my DT hat on thanks for joining us this month at Rudolph Day's Challenge, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card and I love the glitter! It was worth all your fussy cutting to make such a cool set of cards. Hugs xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet card, Di--love your little scene!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somehow I messed you when I went through commenting this month!
    I think it is because I can now climb the two flights of stairs to the computer on the top floor while I do the laundry. It highlights the names I have visited so I know where I have stopped.
    Then when I went down to the suite where I have my special chairs, and equipment set up, I no longer had the highlighted names to remind me!

    This card is so adorable. The driverless car and tree made me smile as I have a die cut for this car, and it is driverless too!

    Your scene looks great and I do not mind the snowflakes. They are not clear when they are falling down in real life. Look at the individual beauty of each flake on a close up, and of course that is not what you see. Here, you see a swirling mess of snow most times, as there is light wind often blowing across my area.

    Thanks for taking part in the June Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.