Len's niece has a son who we love dearly, called Edward. Making cards for him always taxes me as he has problems which mean it's a fine balance between making a card that's too adult for him yet making sure it isn't too childish either. Whilst all the goodies were still out for the SU 'Wading birds/sunset' card I showed last week - it seemed wise to press on and make Edward's card ready for his Birthday tomorrow.
I hopped over to Pinterest for ideas and found loads of different ways to make balloons as toppers for cards. Not having a balloon shaped die, I sort of cobbled together a combination of ideas and came up with this:
- 6" x 6" square white card blank
- the orange backing card is SU's 'Tangelo Twist', topped with a piece of cloud paper from a free paper pack which came with Quick Cards Made Easy magazine, way back in 2012
- the balloons were good fun to make. My oval punches didn't look right so I opted to use SU's 1.3/8th circle punch and three different snippets of card stock. To make the bit at the bottom of the balloon is so easy if you have the SU 'Owl Builder' punch - it's just one of the owl's feet with a bit of body above so you can adhere it behind the circle - but, you could always cut them just freehand of course. Then I inked round the edges of the balloons with slightly darker ink for dimension before adding the white lines using a white Signo pen to make the balloons look more realistic
- matching bakers twine was just tied gently round each balloon before they were added to the card using sticky pads
- I then laid the long ends of the twine over some double sided tape before adding the sentiment on top and then trimming the bottom ends
- the sentiment was stamped using 'Tangelo Twist' and Inca Stamp's 'Dot Birthday' before being die cut using a Lil'Inkers 'Stitched rectangle die and then popped onto a slightly larger rectangle of 'Tangelo Twist' card before being adhered to the card with sticky pads
Let's just hope I remembered to post the card - if not, there's gonna be a little scurry here :)
PS - I checked and I did post it last week - yay for staggering to the Post Office (complete with sick bag - thank you nasty virus!) and making sure his card was amongst the post!