Yesterday our eldest Grand daughter Mia was six years old :) Wahoo, how did that happen so soon?
Both she and her little sister Olivia (Livi), who has a Birthday not long after Mia's, absolutely adore Barbie in any way, shape or form. I'm sure they'll grow out of it but for this Birthday I made their cards based on Barbie images:
- 6" x 6" scalloped square white card blanks
- plainish backing papers from Prima's 'Firefly' paper stack
- now the Barbie images. I found a website offering free Barbie screensavers and managed to copy and tweak a couple of sample images. It just shows what can be found if you search hard enough. These were backed with snippets of toning card at a jaunty angle, die cut using a Nesties scalloped rectangular die
- all the letters and numbers were die cut using Britannia dies - am still unhappy with those individual letters but did trim some of the swirls down - the V looked like the letter N and for goodness sakes, who leaves the letter A hanging in the air at the right hand side? But that how it was - I cut it twice in disbelief. Better designed single letter dies are now on my Christmas wish list :)
- and as little girls like all things sparkly, and Mia and Livi are no exception, I added lots of sparkly stickers bought from Accessorize many moons ago
The cards also had another meaning as Mia's Birthday gift from us is Barbie and her horse and Livi's is the winged horse and chariot.
So far so good - but these had to go all the way to Germany and the parcels, although quite light were mahooooosive. Len reckoned that the box containing Livi's gift was almost as big as she is. After checking Parcel Post rates online I went and lay down in a darkened room - Livi's parcel alone was going to cost UK £54 to send - sheesh! I could almost have hopped on a cheap flight and taken it in person.
But, after more online searching I found a much better option - Interparcel Limited to the rescue. Both parcels went for almost half what it was going to cost for just the one, a courier (from UPS) collected them from home on the appointed day and within my requested time slot - and they arrived within a few days. Result!
Hope you had a Happy Birthday Mia!