Wednesday 21 August 2013

Transferring images to candles

To go with the bookmarks I showed on Monday here for Annie and Jo, I made these:
Before I list what I used, there are some things you might find handy if you decide to have a play at transferring images to candles.

Here's a very good little tutorial - I had made one of these previously for a friend in 2011 but did refer to the tutorial to remind myself.

Secondly, the first time I made a candle like this back in 2011 I used ordinary greaseproof paper. In fact looking at the post just now I did add a few piccies and details of the whole process. Anyhow, this time I used some of the waxed paper I'd bought for using with intricate dies and it really is considerably better. Joanna Sheen stocks it here, but sadly it's only for shipping within the UK.

Thirdly, and I have no idea how you can work this one out at the point of purchase - I bought ivory coloured candles. My first go at the poppies candle almost left me in tears - right at the very end of the heating process, a chunk of ivory wax over half an inch square and about an eighth of an inch thick came away, leaving white wax showing. So, IF you can find plain white candles I'd go for those as it looks as if the ones I used had a final dipping into ivory wax just as a thick coating - the lovely WOYWW Julia knew about this 'fenominum' when we spoke last week. However, I got there in the end on the second attempt!

I used:

- pillar candles, these were approx. 6" high and 2.5" wide. Mine were from the TU range at Sainsburys, thankfully I bought a box of four 'cos I needed a third one after the 'blip' I just wrote about

- stamps used are poppies from Hero Arts' 'Delicate Blossoms' set and mixed flowers from Kanban's 'Stamp 06' set. Stamped with Stazon black ink pad onto white tissue paper and coloured with Whispers pens to match yesterday's bookmarks

- then trimmed each image quite closely, placed onto a candle and covered with wax paper, leaving plenty to hold round the back of the candle whilst heating the front over the image with the heat gun

- you can see the image changing colour through the wax paper which lets you know that it's being slightly absorbed into the candle wax

Then I just wrapped them in cellophane with a piece of knotted ribbon on top - and added little glass dishes to stand them on so the girls didn't have to go hunting for old saucers.

Do have a play if you haven't already tried this one - it's great fun!

Di
x

24 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so gorgeous. Never tried this candle thing, but I always love it when I see it. Enjoyed reading about your adventure in candlemaking. You surely ended with 2 lovely candles. Loved the images you chose to transfer too. Marvelous coloring...must have been tricky on tissue. Only wax paper I know of, is what we in the USA use for the kitchen. (Guess it's same as your 'grease proof'...ala for sandwiches???Great effort You done good! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful Di, what a lovely gift. Still haven't had a go at this yet. Do you know if the wax paper would go through a printer??
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really stunning and all the more special cos you put so much love into making them :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the pretty candles and the matching book mark, a fab little present
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous Di and I think they really stand out on the white. Thanks for the tips about the wax paper and the ivory candles. I have the wax paper ready and waiting x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so lovely Di. Think I might have to have a go as my dil loves candles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly matching gifts for your bookmarks. 10 out of 10.

    Thanks of the tips about ivory candles and wax paper.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are even better looking in real life and the little glass dish just finishes them off perfectly. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Already commented on the others blogs that these candles really do look lovely. I'm thinking I might have to have a try for some Christmas presents.

    ~Kate~

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look gorgeous and it's on my to do list!! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are really gorgeous Di I've always wanted to try this I bought the tissue paper and that was it!! LOL but now I shall have a go I think..tomorrow is the day!!! huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are fab!! Seen the demo's but never tried it - now on my to do list!!

    Hugs

    Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, the candles look lovely in the photos but were stunning in real life! Don't they make great presents??
    I hope the Friday Parcel wends its way swiftly and safely, loll!!
    It was so lovely to see you again, Di....lets not leave it too late until the next time :-)
    Hugs, LLJ 63 xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That took me back a bit. I did make one of these for a friend a long time ago. I love the stamps you chose. They were perfect. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Di you make these look so easy they are gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Di,
    they look FABULOUS!

    Great for presents.

    Thanks for all the info you left on my blog - I might try and get hold of one of the little brushes.
    (for clouds!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fab Di, lovely matching set, never tried candles.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so lovely. I have read about this but never tried it...Your stamped images are so pretty...off to find the bookmark post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are just lovely Di, as are the matching bookmarks. I don't have a laminating machine since I retired so I think a trip to Lidl might be on the agenda. I'm certain, yes absolutely certain, that Annie and Jo loved these :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    PS: Loved Karen P's comment on your robins :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Going to have to get some of that paper and make a couple of these for Xmas presents - thank you for sharing Di! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant Di! I had a candle making kit when I was a teenager, it was great fun, I'm definitely going to try this. I'll find some proper wax paper first though :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really nice. You did a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing the link to the video. We can purchase cut rite in our grocery stores. Great for die cutting, that's for sure and now candles. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are wonderful Miss Di. Aren't you a clever Tart! Need to get some waxed paper as I bought candles last year with the intention of doing some but never got time. 125 days to go, maybe I am in with a chance this year!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. What wonderful gifts! The bookmarks were a nice gift but then to add the candle makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.