Sunday 19 February 2023

Christmas 'Joy and Cheer'

This is my snippets card to kick off challenge #448 in over in the Snippets Playground. Go HERE to join in the fun!


 

It's a bit deceiving as the vellum on top of the mirri card makes it look as if there's some pale pink card as well!

I used:

- 5.75" x 5.75" white card blank, side opening

- first of all I wanted to cut and assemble the sentiment in order to confirm that the patterned paper I had in mind would work well - the NBUS die set I used is by Memory Box, called appropriately 'Joy and Cheer'

- die cut the actual sentiment once from white card and once from Tonic 'Rose Platinum' mirri card - both were snippets - then glued the mirri layer onto the white one for rigidity as well as dimension

- then die cut the background profile from a vellum snippet

- popped the mirri sentiment onto the vellum layer - using a glue pen 

- trimmed a piece of Tonic (Rose Platinum) mirri card to 5.5" x 5.5"

- I cut the middle out of the mirri card, in a moment of thrift, using a square die by Presscut measuring about 4.5" x 4.5" so I could save that piece for future use

- glued the mirri card 'frame' onto the card front and leveled out the centre by gluing in a piece of white card, die cut using the same square die to be a perfect fit **

- then trimmed my chosen piece of paper from the Crafter's Companion 'Frosty and Bright' paper pad - down to 5.25" x 5.25" and glued it onto the mirri edged layer

- finally, glued the vellum backed sentiment onto the card front - making sure the glue was only behind the actual lettering. The vellum is 150g so it's heatproof and quite thick but I wasn't taking any risks at that stage!

Whist at it, I made a second card exactly the same - of course. 

** The 'cutting out the centre' of the mirri card wasn't one of my better ideas to be honest. It did make gluing the mirri card frame onto the card front less easy to get straight than if it hadn't had so much of the middle removed, basically as it's not rigid of course. C'est la vie - we live and learn! It's still worth bearing in mind if you're desperately trying to get as much out of a particular piece of paper or card as possible of course. Perhaps I'll have a try at taping the 'filler insert' into the card 'frame' from behind before gluing it to the card front another time.

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:

Darnell's NBUS Challenge #47 - the Memory Box die set was having a first outing, certainly won't be the last though.

Dudley Pupdate - we think he's going through a 'spotty teenager phase' at the moment. Seeing how far he can push the boundaries - until he's forgets himself and still comes for cuddles of course! 

One example of him being a 'rebellious kid with his baseball cap on backwards' was him going on 'hunger strike' two evenings running - purely as he could smell our meal cooking and thought he might join in and have a share! Pizza one night and boeuf bourguignon the next? I don't think so young man. Nice try though!

 



18 comments:

  1. Oh Di, your card is an absolute stunner. I LOVE it! Thank you so much for the lovely, kind comments on my little train, and my return to crafting, blogging and challenges. I had a little giggle at Dudley's attempt at 'conning' you'...he sounds just like our 'old man' (18 year old kitty)....as soon as he hears me fill the kettle, he says "oh goody, it's morning tea/afternoon tea/supper/snack time", and pesters us until he gets a treat...spoiled...what gives you that idea?? lol Jennifer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful card Di - and yes, I try to use as much of specialty papers/card as I can, and I have been known to use a 'filler' layer to stabilise a piece.
    What a little minx that Dudley is - my cat doesn't eat now unless he's ready to. No gulping it down as soon as the bowl hits the floor, he comes and lets me know he's hungry and I uncover it. I have never known a cat like him!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Di, Rose mirri is so pretty, and that’s a good tip too. Dudley is so funny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card Di. Gorgeous paper and a lovely sentiment. A triumph.

    Oh that naughty puppy! He’ll eat his own food once he’s hungry enough!! At least he’s still not too old for cuddles x xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all go through the teenager phase Di, I think Rosa got there a bit early. On the other end of the scale Daisy suffers with Dementia so some days are interesting!

    Your Christmas card is very elegant and the backing DP has a dreamy look to it in the mutes colours.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card, Di. It was a great idea to remove the centre of gorgeous mirri card. I was thinking I must remember to do that more often with special card, but then I went on the read that it caused you a bit of a problem this time. Your card looks perfect, so you obviously overcame the problem of the floppy frame and still have a snippet of that lovely mirri card left. Glad that Dudley has ended his hunger strike. I’m sure he thought it was worth a try though. 🤣 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Christmas card(s) and worth a bit of hassle to save some of that lovely mirri for another project

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous and so elegant card, love the softness and great tip about using only a diecut frame for the mat instead of the whole piece of the mirri cardstock. It's necessary a lot of accuracy, but you did it so well!
    Dudley is surely a clever boy :) And who could blame him? It must be a lot to smell with his sensitive nose as all the good scents of your meal cooking!! Please, put a napkin around his neck and accept him at your table, but make him promise that he will not be rude and will not serve himself directly from the serving plate LOL :D
    Hugs to you and a happy five to him, with a lot of cuddles too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is so elegant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really lovely Di and its nice to see an alternative Christmas sentiment too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card Di, love the sentiment, although it gave you a little problem! Gorgeous paper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful paper Di and the rose platinum mirri looks gorgeous with it and love the look of the die cut sentiment on the vellum. I laughed at your saying Dudley has reached the spotty teenager phase...he obviously thinks that it's worth a try to get a taste of your dinner, maybe followed by his own...lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is funny! At least he only held out 2 nights! Your card is just gorgeous, Di! What a neat patterned paper & the MB die is wonderful! When I cut out the center of specialty cardstock, I use the same die to cut a piece of plain cardstock to replace the piece I'm saving. I find it makes everything go together better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty, Di! I love all shades of glossy card, especially platinum, and it worked perfectly with your NBUS design! As for The Dudley, you are right not to fall for his cuteness! They can be very willful and headstrong and manipulative. Ask me how I know, lol. Unfortunately, someone here is wrapped right around Nellie's paw! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely card and looks effortlessly gorgeous! Love the Dudley update, Di, that's so funny comparing him to a teenager with his cap on backwards. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty card Di ... I really love the rose gold colour card. I know what you mean about trying to adhere a "frame" onto a card - I only recently got my first stitched shape dies so tried making a frame and it was flapping everywhere when I tried to stick it down!
    Pauline xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are expert at choosing just the right papers and sentiments Di - love this pairing. You are also expert at articulating the mess I get myself into when glueing frames onto cards!!! Lol at Dudley AKA Kevin the Teenager! Hugs, Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too think your card is gorgeous! TFS it. Hugs to you and Dudley, the little scamp.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.