Wednesday 12 May 2021

First slimline card for ages!

I've been seeing so many tall and slim, or wide and slim, cards lately, and finally set to the other day - when inspiration was out for a jog. It should be skinny as a rake with all the 'going out for a jog' it's doing these days!

Am really badly behind on Christmas card making so I decided to try out a new scenic paper pack from Whimsy Stamps - and this was the resulting card:

I used:

- UK size white DL card stock - 8.25" x 4" - tent style

- a sheet of paper from the Whimsy Stamps Slimline 'Frozen' scenic \9including igloo to keep the penguins warm!) designer paper pack. The really lovely background papers aren't matched to UK sizes, they're 8.5" x 3.5" - but a bit of pale blue pearlescent card as a 'frame', as well as carefully chopping off a bit from one side of the background Whimsy paper,cured that slightly 'unexpected and a bit disappointing' hiccup

- cut a piece of blue pearlescent card to 8" x 3.75" and then cut the background Whimsy paper to 7.75" wide and left the height at 3.5" so that it was even all round. BTW, the shade.colour of the card I used for framing the image panel will work with loads of the other image panels. Some of them do have mauve and pink tones so it might be that I'll resort to silver mirri or similar, if I can't find a good match

- had already chosen the stamps to use and they're from the Lawn Fawn 'Here we go A-Waddlin' set of stamps - love this set!

- stamped the three carolling penguins onto white card using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink pad

- coloured them using Faber-Castell Polychromos - mostly as right now I can't reach up to my Pro Markers without asking for help and Len was busy installing a new printer in his own 'den'

- then die cut the 'penguin choir' using the co-ordinating set of Lawn Fawn dies

- at that point I knew how the scene would fit together, so I was very brave/reckless and stamped the sentiment directly onto the background, using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink - admittedly having first checked for 'smudge-ability' on a small piece I'd trimmed from the background Whimsy panel

- then I got even braver and re-positioned the 'still not stuck down' penguin trio and worked out where some 'notes' would go - thank goodness for the Misti!

- stamped the notes using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' again

- then glued the pearlescent baby blue panel on to the card blank

- followed that with the Whimsy back ground panel

- finally, added the die cut penguin trio, using a glue pen!

It made sense to make two cards the same whilst everything was on my desk, particularly as the background images come in twos.

As the paper pack is having its first outing, I'm linking this into Darnell's NBUS Challenge #26 HERE. It's ages since I played along, despite blithely using unused goodies as much as possible these days. Slaps own wrist.

I finally bit the bullet and switched over to using my new Canon camera that Santa brought - shame on me for taking so long! I hate change yet it's so similar, albeit much upgraded, that I kicked myself for taking so long to do the switchover. Basically I tend to use things until they're not working right and only then will I consider a change/upgrade. Err, although craft goodies are always an exception of course!

I also tried (following in the footsteps of others, as always) using some SU 'In Good Taste' wood effect background paper when I took the photo, with the card placed deliberately 'on the wonk'. A lovely friend sent me some to try out and then I plumped for buying a whole pack of varied effect patterns. My 'in-house critic' very much approved, so I may even advance to adding in an envelope behind the card, which possibly is more balanced as I've subsequently noticed a few of you doing this. And who knows - in time - perhaps the odd prop or two ☺ 



28 comments:

  1. Great Christmas card Di, I love the little scene you’ve created. Those little penguins are just adorable. Wouldn’t it be easier for us crafters if UK and US sizes were the same. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely cute card Di - the papers are perfect for creating winter scenes. I like the background paper you've used - I use a scrap of wallpaper behind my photos!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this slimline is just ADORABLE!! Love so much how you used the beautiful paper and the sentiment!! A perfect scene!! And a perfect photo too!! :D I have to try to put my cards 'on the wonk', thanks for the idea!
    Hugs and cuddles to Dudley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable card. The animals are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is brilliant and great to read your detailed description of how it was achieved along with hints about possible pitfalls. I have three colours of DL cards which I've had for ages and they are all slightly different in size - these things are sent to try us 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di your card is gorgeous. I love DL cards. Have a good day. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty Di l do like to see slim line cards love your scene and images x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweetie this is Di - beautifully made!!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this gorgeous card Di, such a cute little scene you've made.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slimline cards are a real favourite with me and yours is stunning! I just lvoe this fun little penguin scene!! So eye-catching!! Thanks so much for the great inspiration. Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card, Di, and I love your photographing technique! That wood grain paper is a great idea. I'm going to have to dig through my stash and try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, it could not be any cuter! I always wondered what that background was, thank!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done, Di. I haven't bit the slim line cards bullet. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable little penguins on such a great scenic background! I like your photo set on the "wood" background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous Christmas scene Di and I am definitely going to check out those Whimsy papers x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute Christmas card. I had to re-read the last paragraph. Then it finally dawned on me what you were talking about.

    Also, I despise change too. Unless someone shows me how to do something. Otherwise, I'm not into the manuals. They don't like me and I don't like them. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great background for your three cute little penquin carol singers Di and love the slimline shape which the backgrounds are made to be used with, and also the woodgrain works well as a background. I have tried other ways of taking my photos but I always seem to gravitate back to the card square on laying on a piece of black card. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Di, this is such an adorable card and that background paper couldn't be more perfect for the little penguin trio. I've never seen paper like this, but now may need to scour the internet to see if they have it available in the US. Congrats on making the ever-popular slimline design, and then going even further by using your new camera with props no less! I have to say that I actually noticed that beautiful wood patterned background right away as it sets off your sweet scene to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Slimline cards are somuch fun to make. I made several after discovered this shape and many more will follow. You made a gorgeous card with the 3 adorable penguins!!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable! This is a terrific scene, and oh so cheery, a perfect addition to the Christmas card stash!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE your card and background, taken with your new camera, how exciting, although I know change is hard, very hard. Then you wonder why it's taken so long, hahaha.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely card - it's a great scene. Well done on the staging too, looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an adorable card, Di! That printed paper does make a good background for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, this has worked perfectly using that background paper. Hugs Me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great card Di! Beautiful image and super background.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way to be on trend with your slim card, Di, and I love how you created an adorable scene by stamping right on that cool pp! Well done ~ and I love the photograph! Thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.