Tuesday 3 October 2017

Post early for Christmas

Well, perhaps not this early though! I had a pre-loved Penny Black Christmas stamp lying on my desk witing to be used, recently bought from a very sweet blogging friend (and if you're reading this, I haven't forgotten my promise either!). Am sure it still counts as NBUS for Darnell's latest challenge 'cos I've never used it before. I made a batch of six cards all the same, just like this one:
I used:

- 5" x 5" square white card blank

- slightly smaller piece of white card, embossed using Darice's 'Snowflake Background' embossing folder and glued onto the card front. Over time I've learned that if possible it's best to trim your card to size before embossing it. Sometimes, if you guillotine it afterwards, you find the card fibres have been broken down a bit and your cut line won't be as sharp

- the images were stamped onto white card using Ranger Black Archival ink and such a cute Penny Black stamp called 'Royal Mail'

- then coloured the images using  my Zig brush pens and added some shading using Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils

- die cut the image using one of The Works 'Stitched Squares dies'

- added the sentiment, using Ranger Black Archival ink and a stamp from the Hobby Art 'Christmas Post' set

- mounted the image panel onto SU 'Real Red' card as a frame

- backed the panel with white fun foam and glued it onto the card front

- final touch, clear Wink of Stella to add some subtle sparkle to the snow

I almost did a big boo-boo with these cards - although I used the right waterproof stamping ink for Ziggies, I forgot to use water colouring card instead of my usual stamping card, which is fine for Pro markers and coloured pencils - but 'pills' at any sign of water if you try to do some blending! Too late I realised, fortunately when working out colour combinations on a scrap of the same card. I'd already done practically all of the colouring using 'neat' Ziggies with no problems (yup, on six images!) and just wanted to add some additional depth to the scarf and envelope, as well as the hedgie's cheek and skin. Tried the Polychromos pencils and they saved the day! One to remember, don't be afraid to try mixing different colouring mediums - although I did test the theory out on some scrap card first! :) Me not totally stooopid!!

I was going to delay this post due to the very sad events in Las Vegas. However, I'm having a wisdom tooth out today and truly don't know how I'll feel afterwards. The extraction itself isn't worrying me but I don't always react well to such things so thought I'd best post this and link up to Darnell's NBUS whilst am still in charge of my faculties, sigh.

And a bigger sigh over Las Vegas - makes our day to day worries seem minuscule in comparison.





30 comments:

  1. Good luck with the toothy. Will be thinking of you all day. Lots of hugs. Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you - wonder what the going rate is for the tooth fairy these days? xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Miss Di, hope all goes well with your Wisdom tooth coming out... down under we have had children who claim the tooth fairy leaves them $20 or about 12 pounds... way better than the 50c I used to get.... tooth fairy didn't leave me anything but a bill post 4x wisdom teeth extraction....

      Delete
  2. A really lovely card. Good luck with the dentist today. And I do think it was right to post, horrific as the atrocity in Las Vegas was, so many terrible things are going on around the world at the moment none of us would ever post anything if we broke off every time we felt shocked or upset by them. Far better to keep reminding ourselves that there IS still a lot of beauty out there. And hand made cards are part of that beauty.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable Christmas card!!! Love this cute image and the clean design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous and cute card. The colouring is great. Good luck at the dentist xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous card to Miss Di, love Penny Black hedgies always so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hedgehogs are my most favorite animals, so I love this stamp and card!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Di your card is gorgeous. That is a beautiful stamp. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card Di...love that penny Black stamp. I have seen a lot of penny Black around lately and they never date. Hope the tooth extraction goes well for you. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a sweet image! It was a great one to get inky for the NBUS challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Di. I literally feel your pain six months after fracturing a molar. I'm no longer in pain but the mention of anyone else having dental treatment makes me wince at the memory.
    Hugs,
    Em xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your dental procedure goes well and you are getting along okay. This is a cute little Christmas card. I love him mailing his list to Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really cute PB image and a really great Christmas card. I love your colouring and a great idea to mix Zig Brush Pens with Faber Castell pencils for some extra shading, and the embossed snowflakes are so pretty in the background. I hope you are not in too much discomfort after your wisdom tooth extraction. I only ever had two bottom ones and had them out in my twenties, so it was a very long time ago...lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous card, love the cute image. I hope all goes well at the dentist.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol Tooth fairies are pretty expensive these days Di......Your card is gorgeous l love that image hope all went well at the dentist take care sending lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fantastic card Di, such a cute image.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just adorable. Hope the dentist trip went well. My thoughts are with Las Vegas too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, this card is just the cutest Di! I love that image-I'm always in love with the hedgies after all. lol You did an amazing job coloring this too Di. No Di you are not stupid at all. It's fun to mix up coloring mediums and you did a great job with mixing it up. Oh goodness, I sure hope your wisdom tooth came out with out any incidents. Mine did and I was ever thankful. Yes, the Vegas shooting was so senseless and it breaks my heart that so many were killed and wounded. I don't know what gets into people that makes them want to hurt strangers like that. We must pray for those people and the ones that are going through all this. So much tragedy with natural disasters and terrorists and terrorist like people. Sigh Big hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, Di, I hope you are nearly recovered from the tooth extraction! In this country, we are big on getting those wisdom teeth out in the year between high school and college; don't know why. I've seen some awfully funny videos of young people high on laughing gas!! I don't remember having anything to laugh about back in the dark ages when I had mine out. I hope you don't get a "dry socket" like I did cuz you'd sooner ... well, I'll just leave it at that. Big hugs!!

    Your fun "happy mail" Christmas card is adorable! Hurrah for your unnamed friend and hurrah to you for figuring out the beautiful coloring!! Thank you so much for playing again in my NBUS Challenge #12! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally adorable, Di & your coloring is fabulous! That is the best snowflake embossing folder! Gotta go check my stash as I'm thinking I finally got it & if so, I need to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delightful design and of course, I love one of my fav PB images. This hedgie is darling no matter what he's up to. Great coloring, your colors stayed so vibrant and happy too. Just want to grab Hedge and give him a big hug. Good luck with the wisdom tooth. Hope it goes smoothly with minimal discomfort afterwards. Take care, and have a good wkend if you can. Hugs & TFS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card :) Hope you're healing quickly. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet!! Love this card Di! Great colouring. That hedgie is so darn cute. I'm late so know that you've already had your wisdom tooth out and had a couple days of recovery by now. Hope you are doing well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Of course I love my PBs - this is a fab design. Hope you are fully recovered from the extraction.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very adorable image and sweet card. Loving the embossed background...perfect for this stamp. Penny Black images always call out to me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous sweet image Di. As you can see I’m a bit late with my comments, but I’m sure you know why!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a pretty card. I love the PB hedgies. Now I'm inspire to get my old PB Christmas critters out. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.