Monday 4 February 2013

Inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh

We had friends round for dinner recently and, whilst setting the table that afternoon, I suddenly remembered a neglected stamp. The connection was that I was using our lovely Charles Rennie Mackintosh place mats and coasters, bought quite a few years ago as a lovely gift by my buddy Moira - who lives near Glasgow. I've always been a fan of CRM and would love to go to the Hunterian museum in Glasgow some day, it's on my 'bucket list'.

This is the card I subsequently made with that 'neglected and never used before' stamp:
I used:

- A6 white card stock

- a large Nesties oval to cut the aperture on a piece of backing card and then I used the trick of placing the cut aperture piece over the front of the card itself, popping the Nestie back in and running it through the Cuttlebug so that the inside lines up with the front (hope that makes sense?)

- the image was stamped onto acetate with another amazing bargain from the fabulous Kraft Kabin (where Julia of WOYWW runs classes), costing all of £1, a wooden stamp by Funstamps called 'F-M66 Glasgow Nouveau 1'

- I stamped the image using StazOn and then did just a little bit of colouring using Sakura Gelly Roll pens - long neglected and almost forgotten about

- the sentiment is from a Stampendous set called 'Happy Messages' also stamped in StazOn just 'cos it was to hand. I'd looked at a few Charles Rennie websites and realised that fancy script was so not his style, hence the simplicity of the sentiment font

- then it was just a case of attaching the acetate with extra-tacky tape to the inside of the front of the card and backing it with the piece of card which also had an oval cut in it

I think this is deffo. a card which will need even just a plain folded insert so the message written to the recipient doesn't show through and spoil the 'window' effect I was looking for. Funny, the photo makes the acetate look really set back in the card - not so, it's sandwiched between the front of the card and the backing which is right behind.

Di
x

26 comments:

  1. This one is great...I have never tried acetate before! I like the window look of this one...now I am looking at the acetate that has been languishing in the cupboard differently!teehee
    Great card Di!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is stunning, love the design
    Hugs Di my time to sleep is here
    bye for tonight
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this card, another fan of crm here and have a design painted in my cloakroom, in mackintosh mauve paint too lol. I bought a medallion stamp eons ago in the crm sty, must dig it out, never thought of acetate but really like the stained glass look it gives the image. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Charles Rennie Mackintosh designs, and I love your card! 'Nuff said!!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful CAS card, Di! I love the stained glass design through the acetate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love your beautiful card Di.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has to be one of my favs Di. So pretty.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely card Di - the image is super.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Di. Love CRM too. Clean, simple and very elegant. Love it.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking card. I also admire CRM's work.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely card Di, love that it is inspired by Charles Rennie McIntosh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I love CRM too, love the Hillhouse and the Cranstons Tea Rooms in Glasgow (think that's the name), would also love to see The Hunterian too, it opened after we left the UK. Over here we have Frank Lloyd Wright, ever heard of him? If you like CRM I think you'll also like FLlW, lots of similarities.

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this look...it looks like stained glass. So very pretty and I really like the effect you achieved by your layering, using the cut-out piece. The simplicity is just beautiful, so enhances the image. Great job, and TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very glamorous! Love that you researched his style on t'internet as well to make sure your sentiment matched. now that is dedication to the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the window and the stamp, Di! I'll bet that those place mats are very special!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great it's great Di. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Obviously my first comment has to be
    "was the butcher's closed then and how did you cook them?"
    Fabulous card, brilliant idea and looks stunning, very stained glass looking.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Di,

    Beautiful card. I hope your dinner with your friends was lovely.

    I went to Rancho de Chimayo and thought of you and Len.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  19. You lost me Miss on the second sentence but I likes yer card. Very stained glass looking.
    I'm staying indoors to night those bats is spooky and the wind is a howling sumthing awful.Gonna read a mystery story about an old house with a ghost or two in it. Shan't sleep an wink tonight!!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely card, Di, I like the effect you've somehow obtained with the apperture and the stamp is terrific. I'm sure you must have more than a tincture of Scottish blood flowing through your veins :) And I suspect, I have exactly the same placemats - a gift from my late mother and therefore doubly treasured. I've already ticked the Hunterian Museum off my bucket list, although I'd be happy to return, it's well worth another visit. Right, off to bed because it is much too late to still be up. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh so beautiful, love it! Great CAS card (which I find so hard to create), you have done a wonderful job of it!
    hugs
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. How Rude! I posted a comment and Blogger ate it!
    What I said was....Gorgeous Miss! Love this card and cannot believe that you had this stamp for so long unloved....or words to that effect!
    Definitely had Hugs xx on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE CRM too and did the Glasgow homage a couple of years ago, it was wonderful, especially "House for an art lover".
    The card is lovely, I think CRM would approve of the design nice and CAS.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  24. The rose is my favourite of the Mackintosh designs - though it is though to have been originally drawn by his wife (Margaret MacDonald - one of the 'Glasgow Four' along wih Mackintosh). It's a beautiful card, Di... elegant and just oozing class.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.