Sunday 21 August 2022

A cosy penguin Christmas card

I'm still plodding on, making up the batch of die cuts (I cut them a while ago) into up cycled Christmas cards. I find that when other things become too hot or whatever, it's good therapy not to start off totally afresh. Just take what might have been thrown out with the garbage - and up cycle it, ready to 'ride out again'. The other day I fished out (already culled and popped away) a bunch of shop bought cards fronts saved from previous Christmases - and found plenty more to be going on with after i use the ones already die cut from 2021............. including five or so robin images! What is it with friends and family sending us robin cards? 

Anyhow, today's snippets card (just one snippet of silver mirri card used for two card elements I confess) was in the original batch of dies cuts I've been using lately - and this is the result:

I used: 

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, side opening

- a piece of patterned paper from the Crafters Companion 'Frosty and Bright' paper pad - some luscious papers in this pad in shades of pink and turquoise mostly - trimmed to one eighth of an inch smaller all round than the card front

- used the 'inward curved corner' on my small X-cut corner punch on all four corners of the paper and then glued it in place on the card front

- the paper was carefully chosen to go with the penguin's sweater on the saved image - which I'd die cut using a Lil'Inkers 'Side Stitch Rectangle' die

- mounted the penguin panel onto a narrow background border of silver mirri card and set him to one side 'for later' - as our beloved Queen said about her marmalade sandwich!

- then used the rest of the silver mirri card snippet to die cut the greeting using - once again my current favourite - Tonic Studios 'Mini Moments Merry Christmas' die, only one layer this time 

- glued the image panel and the sentiment onto the card front and went away for a think

- it needed something in the line of snowflakes or 'summick - but I don't have the strength to use small snowflake dies on thick card (hoped to use a frosted piece saved from the original card front but it was too tough and I didn't have a small enough die)

- in the end I found some small snowflake self-adhesive gems in a very neglected box of Christmas embellishments, so I added two of those and it really did lift the image panel!

And, I did push the snowflake pieces closer to the centres once I saw the photo enlarged above. It's a sweet idea to use different sizes of gems to make up a little embellishment but sometimes the manufacturing accuracy is a little 'off'. So there we have it, one more Christmas card to add to the box for 2022. Photo looks a bit blurred to me, but it was the best of the bunch!

Now, most importantly, do please hop over to the Snippets Playground HERE, where Sarn has kicked off a fresh challenge. Numbers were much lower than usual for the challenge which just closed, but the weather was hot, it's Summer Break time for many etc. etc. so we 'roll with the punches' as they say. Many thanks to those of you who did play along - much appreciated.

Dudley pup date. Hmm, a mixed week with him as he had total 'HH - ie. Havanese Hysterics' when he was in my car to do the 'drop Len's car for service' - bring him home and then do it in reverse about five hours later. Of course he (Dudley!) did the screaming hyena act almost all the time.We've said it's potentially due to us not taking him out for a drive very often - for that read that 'we usually go out singly and leave him at home with the other one of us'. He's only been left 'Home Alone' once and we watched him via CCTV most of the evening! 

We hope that before the Summer is over we'll make the effort to take Dudley out with us for a mid-week pub lunch - with a drive thrown in - to show him that drives can be for fun reasons and not just 'business stuff', the vet or grooming. 

I have a lovely place in mind, in a local village with typical Hampshire thatched roofs, and the pub, which is a converted watermill, welcomes dogs. Yay! On a nice day we could sit outside and also show Dudley the river which flows past the lawns as well as the lake with the ducks and swans. It's a huge sadness sad that the pandemic, which broke when he was still a pup, and our own caution, have curtailed such opportunities. Let's see if we can broaden his horizons - as well as our own! I noticed that Len was happy to not wear a mask when he was at the car dealer's, and he's been to a local supermarket a couple of times now (spending soon to be obsolete old £20 notes) and has done the same. For those of you currently throwing caution to the wind - I envy you, although we're a bit slow catching up! 



14 comments:

  1. Super Christmas card, Di. Your cute little penguin is perfect for upcycling and the gems are a perfect finishing touch. I'm sure Dudley will enjoy a trip to the pub, it sounds like a lovely place to visit. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable card, you’ve matched that paper perfectly! We’re still mask wearing when shopping etc, but the pub lunch sounds perfect for an outing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're certainly making the most of your upcycled card fronts, good colour matching too. Hope Dudley soon gets to realise that rides in the car can sometimes mean fun, bless him 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable upcycled penguin card Di. Love the extra snowflakes you added.

    Hope you, Len and Dudley enjoy a trip to the pub soon and that HH’s are no more.
    Happy Sunday xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super upcycling Di! The snowflakes are definitely a good addition. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your upcycled penguin is so cute, and you are so inspiring! I have to keep out my shop bought cards, I have tons of them!!
    Well done on showing to Dudley that drives can be for fun reasons too!! :)
    Hugs to you and a lot of cuddles to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful up-cycled element on your cute card Di.
    All the best in teaching Dudley that the car is not to be feared...
    On the mask front, I am still wearing mine - it's still mandated here to war a mask in shops, and I generally do around town as well - many don't use theirs unless actually entering a shop.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card and you have inspired me to go through the mountain of saved fronts and use some up, thank you. We were being very cautious too, then Mr J had a medical emergency and a hospital stay, guess what, yup he came back with IT, which I caught too and it has been awful, if this is a mild version I'm glad we didnt get the first one. Back to being super cautious for us now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di your card is so adorable l just love your penquin super cutie, sounds like the lovely place to take Dudley out and yourselves for lunch l hope you enjoy when you do x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your upcycling inspiration Di! The penguin was far too cute to be thrown away and as usual you've been very canny with your paper selection! I do hope Dudley learns to settle down in the car. I must say after nearly 8 years of working at it with Eva, she just about tolerates a short journey but with lots of panting and sometimes whining too which is just awful - like listening to a baby cry. She only ever gets in the car for something fun at the other end but seems incapable of connecting the two events :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet penguin card Di! I can relate about Dudley and the pandemic. We only had Jessie for about six months before we started isolating. We are still really cautious because of other health risks that make it worse for us if we got Covid. Jessie needs to get out and about more as well ... too bad we didn't live close because I think Dudley and Jessie would be fast friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh such a gorgeous card! I should start thinking about what I can use before I totally recycle all our Christmas cards! Not the handmade ones, I keep those cause I love them all! Sorry I haven't been commenting much, energy low particularly as I have been brave too, stayed at Sarah's for nearly a week recently and even went clothes shopping. Eeeek! Was pretty paranoid and still wore mask round shops. Was relieved I avoided covid, so far! Fingers crossed! Aw poor Dudley not liking car journeys, must be stressful! Hopefully he will get better with some treats outings at the end. Take care my friend. Hugs xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, I'm so glad you recycled that cute penguin because he's just too adorable not to keep! The paper matches his fashionable sweater so well, wow!
    I think the plan to take Dudley on a fun drive, that involves a scenic walk and treats at a pub may be just the ticket to turn him around. We were always lucky that Toby didn't mind the car at all, even when his trips were always to the vet toward the end. As long as he was with us, he was happy.
    Hope you continue to avoid the dreaded COVID, but they say to expect another big surge in the fall...sigh. Dennis ended up with a bad cold last week...and I can't believe I haven't caught it. We tested twice each at home to make sure we are testing negative and so far so good. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope more trips will work for Dudley. Fritz is OK in the vehicle, but has never gotten used to being left home. This is such an adorable card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.