I've already written a good bit on here about 'our Kath' from 'My Plain and Simple', who we all lost a few weeks ago. On Sunday I made a card for the current Challenge for Kath over at Allsorts - where Kath was a DT stalwart. The theme was chosen by Kath months ago as part of her usual DT role and she chose 'Favourite Stamp(s)' - and the DT have added the option of 'floral and paper piecing'. Two things which appeared on Kath's gorgeous cards very regularly.
- DL white card blank
- the front (or back?) half of a DL card, trimmed to an eighth of an inch smaller all round than the card front and then set aside
- one of my most loved, and oldest, stamps is Penny Black's 2007 'love blush' - so I used that and Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink to stamp the image onto a piece of white card and also onto a couple of sheets (red and pale green respectively) from the Prima 'Firefly' paper pack
- fussy cut the leaves and roses from the stamped papers - as always I ran a non-bleeding brush pen round the edge of each of the fussy cut pieces
- a few of the pieces were so tiny to fussy cut that I used Polychromos pencils to colour the relevant small pieces on the image panel itself
- then glued the roses and leaves onto the image panel - using a glue pen and added a few red and green Polychromos strokes here and there
- had a dig around my folder of 'stitched edge' dies and found a good fit using a Presscut Oval 'Stitch Hole' die - so then die cut the image into an oval panel
- cut four strips a quarter of an inch wide from some of the leftover patterned paper and glued them to the top and bottom of the main front panel before trimming all sides from the back using small scissors
- chose a sentiment to use from the Penny Black 'Special Thoughts' stamp set
- used a removable tape runner to temporarily fix the image panel in place so the sentiment would be nicely spaced
- then used the Misti and Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink to stamp the sentiment
- peeled the oval image panel off and then popped it back in the same place using thin Ultratape sticky pads - I love these as they give dimension without being too thick and can easily be snipped into small piece for adhering small images etc. to cards
- glued the whole front panel to the card front - finished!
As SaRn said, Kath would have had something to say about the 'tongue out' look of concentration that we all seem to assume when doing paper piecing!
You still have a few days left to join in with the Challenge for Kath, link at the top of this post. It runs until 12 noon (GMT) on Friday. Quite apart from being a tribute to a very talented lady, there are also some lovely prizes to be won.
Edit: Many thanks to Barbara for the heads up to The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers where the current challenge theme is 'Paper Piecing'. My first time playing along and apparently a snarky sentiment isn't necessary. In fact, I always thought it was a 'closed shop' and not open to all. How wrong can you be. I did smile at Barbara's comment along the lines of 'Who would think to paper piece flowers and leaves' - given the tiny size of them, my reply would be 'Only an idiot like me'.
Absolutely beautifully done, Di! Kath would love this card!ReplyDelete
What a beautiful card you’ve made in Kath’s honour. Love the paper piecing and layout and the embellishment strips. Fabulous sentiment too. Just know Kath would also have loved it.ReplyDelete
Hugs, Sarn xxx
Some lovely paper piecing - a fitting tribute.ReplyDelete
A beautiful and elegant card Di with a lovely sentiment xReplyDelete
Beautiful card and tribute to the lovely Kath. EmmaxReplyDelete
Di your card is so lovely the floral stamp is stunning Kath will most certainly agree with your choice and paper piecing well done it’s such a lovely tribute xxReplyDelete
Beautiful Di and even more so as I am sure sitting to craft is still painful after your topple.ReplyDelete
Such a lovely old wood mounted CB, one I have and sure Kath probably did as well, she would have loved your card design and such a thoughtful and fitting sentiment.
So happy you have joined in A Challenge for Kath, thank you.
Beautiful paper piecing who would have thought to paper piece a flower and leaves, it's a lovely stamp and a beautiful tribute. (p.s. the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers has a paper piecing challenge until Friday no snark required)ReplyDelete
Absolutely beautiful card and those flowers are so fiddly to paper piece as they are tiny! Well done! It's a wonderful tribute to your friend and my teamie Kath.ReplyDelete
How very beautiful Di, a lovely tribute card.ReplyDelete
This is gorgeous! Such delicate paper piecing, bravo Di and thanks for joining us at The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - we're thrilled to have you join the fun and frolics over here, Jo xReplyDelete
What a pretty card and beautiful tribute to your friend. Thank you for joining in at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!ReplyDelete
So pretty xoxoReplyDelete
So glad you joined the sisterhood!ReplyDelete
As we say, snark is encouraged and appreciated but not required, we are certainly not a closed shop :)
You must have amazing eye sight and patience to fussy cut those pieces....well done!!!
Thanks for paper piecing with Edna and the sisterhood of snarky stampers, hope you will come back and play often :)
beautifully pieced floral image, so happy you joined the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for the p is for Paper piecing challenge.ReplyDelete
A beautiful card Di. Love the pretty flowers and the design is gorgeous. Hope you gad a lovely birthday too. Hugs, Carol S.xxxReplyDelete
Such lovely tribute to Kath! Your paper pieced card is so elegant and sweet, beautiful delicate flowers and the sentiment is just perfect!ReplyDelete
Lovely tribute to Kath - such beautiful flowers and a lovely slimline card design.ReplyDelete
What a beautiful elegant card Di that Kath would have adored, and the paper piecing is perfect, and I love the strips of dp added top and bottom and also the wonderful sentiment, finishing the card perfectly. xReplyDelete
Lovely paper piecing and I love that you can be snarky about yourself if you were to reply about who paper pieces the tiny leaves and flowers. You crack me up. [Bunny]ReplyDelete
Lovely card and a great tribute to your friend. Thanks for finding the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers and sharing your beautiful card with us!ReplyDelete
Such a beautiful card in memory of your friend xxReplyDelete
Such a sad background story to this card - but it's beautiful! And while snarky is the last thing you were thinking about, thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers! (Tell your friends! We still have a couple of days left!)ReplyDelete
What a BEAUTIFUL card, one that your Kath would've enjoyed immensely! Love the paper-piecing, fiddly or not, it is wonderfulReplyDelete
Beautiful card and words Di xxxReplyDelete
What a beautiful card Di, and the sentiment is so true. Such a beautiful tribute to Kath! Hugs, BrendaReplyDelete
This is such a lovely way to pay tribute to a lovely lady. She would definitely approve of this beauty Di. Love your design which suits the slimline format perfectly. Particularly noting for future reference the strips of designer paper decorating the top and bottom of the card! Vicky xReplyDelete
I am so sorry for your loss. I think you did her proud. Your card with it's teeny tiny paper piecing is beautiful! Thanks so much for playing with us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers as well as spreading the word about our group. We hope to see you in our gallery again!ReplyDelete
Beautiful card. Sorry to hear about your loss.ReplyDelete
A lovely tribute to Kath. Your card is so beautiful, gorgeous colours and fab paper piecing. Lovely card design too. That stamp is absolutely fabulous! Take care my friend. Hugs xxxxxxxReplyDelete