Friday 4 June 2021

Hello, hello, hello!

I just played with some washi tape with a difference - 'Rainbow Splatters' by Pink Fresh Studio. My order containing this recently came from Katrina of Bumbleberry Papercrafts, who deserves a shout out here. Her prices are very good, service is great and she stocks a lot of USA craft goodies as well - including A2 sized envelopes. I know some of you already buy from Katrina - and I truly recommend that you hop over for a little browse. And of course, both Seven Hills Crafts and Dies to Die For are great favourites of mine too. 

Back to the washi tape, it's the widest one I've ever had at 5.5" wide and 11 yards long. What's really clever about it is that it comes with a 'grid lines' dividing bit in the pattern at every 4.25" as you unroll it, so it's perfect for an A2 (USA) card front. Plus - the way it's designed is that you get three distinctively different 'rainbows' - divided by the  grid lines. I totally LOVE it! Hope that's a bit clearer than mud!

I made three cards, hence the 'Hello, hello, hello', in a little production line, the other day:

I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, side opening

- piece of white card trimmed to 5.75" x 4.25"

- one panel of the Pink Fresh Studio 'Rainbow Splatters' washi tape. As the tape is so wide, I didn't chop a whole panel off in one go - knowing my luck, it would curl back on itself. So this is what I did: unroll a little - just an inch is enough - place the long edge of your piece of card along the end of the unrolled piece of washi , flip it over so the piece of card lays flat on your work space, glass mat preferably, and gently unroll the tape from the roll onto your piece of card, constantly smoothing it as you go. It's a bit of a tough one to get going but once you have the knack and ignore You Tube videos where they pull off a whole panel at once, then you're good to go. Any creases will smooth out using a bone folder or the palm of your hand

- then I trimmed the panel to 5.25" x 4.00" and glued it to the card front using Collall All Purpose glue

- die cut the word 'hello' from a snippet of muted gold card, using my Altenew mini die cutting machine a die from the MFT Die-namics 'Hello There' set (it also come with the words 'hi' and 'there') - then twice twice from snippets of white card

- stacked the three layers of the 'hello' together, with the gold on top, using a Zig glue pen

- glued the word 'hello' onto the bottom right corner of the card - done

The three cards were super fast to make and I love that they're quite different, despite being the same layout. 

So hard to take photos with the current sunshine, even with curtains closed, the colours on all three cards are much brighter in real life.

The 'splatters' are advertised as 'gold' and I admit that I did expect a brighter and possibly shiny gold. The little splatters do catch the light briefly if you wave the cards about. I don't have much more of that lovely muted gold card stock left - literally just a few snippets, but plain white would also work well for the sentiment, or even black. 

I was tempted to risk using my Cuttlebug as my shoulder seems to be on the mend, but resisted and stuck to the Altenew Moni machine. Otherwise, I wanted to have a go at die cutting the panel using a 'rectangular' stitched die. Not too sure how the washi will react to being die cut with a load of little perforations. Probably OK and I did keep a little scrap of trimming to try it out when I feel surer of not knocking what progress I've already made.

A lovely friend just got herself an electric die cutting machine and am pea green with envy here! I need to knuckle down and clear a couple of book shelves then move stuff around a bit to set up a dedicated cutting area. I don't need a big machine and will keep the Cuttlebug as a fall back - so far the Gemini Junior seems to tick all the boxes for my fairly unambitious needs.

I'm entering this into Darnell's NBUS Challenge #27 for June 2021 - HERE.

Grab our badge to display on your blog.

And, with Em's encouragement, I'm also entering into The Rainbow Card Challenge#30 - where the challenge theme is 'Radically Rainbow'. I have no idea how I haven't come across this challenge before now - it looks like fun with a new colour each month and two Radically Rainbow themes per year.

No idea what's going on with the Snippets Playground, numbers have plummeted lately. I bet everyone's been out enjoying the sunshine whilst it lasts!



26 comments:

  1. The washi tape is WOW! I really like these.

    I finally broke down and purchased a Gemini Junior a few months ago. I don't bring it out often. It really does work great for those dadgummed dies that you'd like to fling across the room because the Cuttlebug ain't cutting it and you've about thrown your shoulder out trying.

    The one thing I will say about the GJ is that it apparently loves to warp the plates easily. Jennifer McGuire has a trick that helps some. It's a throw all the rules out the window trick and worked okay for me for awhile. I'm now awaiting a new Plastic shim. Do yourself a favor and get an extra 2 clear cutting plates and a Plastic shim. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of washi tape as something I might need and in fact have never used any - couldn't see the appeal to be honest. However, this rainbow one seems to be a different breed of tape which could just tempt me. These cards are great. Shame about numbers dropping off for the Playground - hope it's just a blip caused by the sudden upturn in the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have GJ and find the platers do warp very quickly, despite turning them every which way when using it.... but it's a wonderful machine to have, for all that.
    Loving those cards Di 0 that washi is fabulous!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fabulous cards Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Di your cards are gorgeous. I just love them. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super looking cards mate. Never heard of such large Washi tape. You do find amazing things.

    I’m sure the lower Playground figures are just due to the fab weather.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look really great.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work with your new splattered washi tape! Love especially the first one with rainbow colours!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific cards, Di, and I love that you showed a few to understand a broader spectrum of the rainbow.
    As for numbers, I'm one that hasn't made many cards of late so I do apologize! Must. Get. Busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple, but so effective. Great cards Di!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous makes and so gorgeous with those gold touches. CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant washi tape makes. I have a Gemini junior I use a5 plates less warping. It's the best thing ever and no more arm problems I used to suffer from.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HELLO to you as well, Di. I hope you're doing great. Thanks for the wonderful blog posts that keep us all inspired and engaged. I'm also sharing a HELLO card on my blog tomorrow. One that uses snippets, of course! So, I'll be coming to the playground. Have a blessed and creative week.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost got that Washi--love your 3 cards, Di! I find advantages with my manual machine & my Gemini Jr, so both get used. Warping really doesn't bother me--still seems to cut most things OK. But extra plates are a good idea. Glad the shoulder is improving & taking chances of going backwards is not worth it! I'd say you DO need the Gemini Jr & hope someone there has a good price like I got.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cards are fabulous Di and quick and gorgeous gets my vote every time! Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this gorgeous wide Washi and how you have created super festive and QACAS card designs with it, Di! I happen to see Greta's comment and echo what she says. You know how much I ended up loving my GJr especially now that this back is worthless. As for the low numbers, it was the same with last month's Twofer, even though it was an easy prompt. It's a busy end of year time for schools and a busy time in gardens, so that must be it. I hope. Take care and thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. All 3 are gorgeous, Di. And as it's a Rainbow month at Rainbow Card Challenge, pop over and enter them there https://rainbowcardchallenge.blogspot.com/2021/06/challenge-30-radically-rainbow.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This washi tape looks great Di and love the colours and the added soft gold words go so well over the top. I'm sure that the good weather has encourage people out and about a bit more and also out into their gardens. I personally have been taken up with upgrading work to the bathroom and cloakroom and still have some painting to finish. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laughed at ignoring you tube videos, Di, der agree rules like that are ther3 to trip you up just like Dudley dear!
    Great cards! Love the itch of gold! Clever pickles too. Shaz. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. .......well Di, I sure hope that I haven't neglected to invite you to come play along at my challenge blog. I can't imagine not ever having mentioned it; but if that's the case, I apologize profusely and I welcome you now. My challenges are always Anything Goes/Family Friendly, and always have AWESOME prizes from our generous (wonderful) sponsors. I'd sure love to have you play along with us at Word Art Wednesday when you're entering challenges. Have fun, and keep the inspirational snippet art coming our way.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for joining us, Di. You already know what I think of your card, and I hope we see you again soon.
    Hugs,
    Em, TRCC DT Co-ordinator

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Di. Your card is really interesting to me because I have never used washi tape and felt like I would never need to. I have seen some really pretty ones but found them to be so expensive!!! Your card is so pretty though, that I might want to invest in a few since it makes a whole card background in just one go. Thank you for showing your creation at The Rainbow Card Challenge. Hope to see you again very soon. I'd love to see what you create next.
    Elena DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! That is washi tape?! That is so pretty!! Your cards are gorgeous and I'm happy that you were able to join us this month. :) Thank you for joining us at the Rainbow Challenge! Hugs! Katy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful cards. Very elegant and festive. Great to see you in the Rainbow Card Challenge gallery. Hope to see you again soon!
    Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun washi! You are a great enabler - thanks! It's a great way to make a quick card. Thanks for joining us at Rainbow Card Challenge.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your gorgeous cards! Thank you for the tips on how best to use the washi tape - I have that very one, have used it once - not very successfully. Now I know why! Take care of that shoulder my friend. Hugs. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.