The latest challenge over at Mrs A's Butterfly Challenge is 'Butterflies + A is for Aperture and/or Apricot'. Just one butterfly is acceptable BTW.
Apricot card stock is rare as hens' teeth here but eventually I found a paper pad with apricot/peach papers in so went with those, and came up with this (it was such a sunny day when I took the photo that the colours look paler than they are in real life):
- 6" x 6" square cream card blank
- covered the front of the card with a slightly trimmed sheet from Wild Rose Studio's 'Peach Blossom' paper pack and then die cut the centre aperture using a Spellbinders round Nestie
- using the same sized round die plus a compatible scalloped round Nestie die cut the pale green scrolled patterned frame to go around the aperture and glued it in place
- added a script patterned sheet of paper from the same paper pad to the inside of the card
- then stamped the sentiment onto a scrolled patterned sheet of paper from the same paper pack using a VersaFine ink pad and an Inkylicious stamp called 'Thank You Calligraphy'
- die cut the sentiment panel using the same plain round die as before and glued it in place behind the aperture. Easiest way to do this is to close the card front then apply the circle through the die cut hole to ensure it sits perfectly behind the aperture
- cut another pale green scrolled patterned frame to go around the circle and glued it in place, to echo the front of the card
- die cut a plain cream butterfly using a solid Memory Box butterfly die called
'Isabella', then topped it with a lacy cream matching butterfly which
was cut using Memory Box's 'Pippi' die (using snippet backed with Stick It adhesive sheet)
- then die cut two 'Pippi' butterflies from snippets of Stick It backed leftover apricot and green paper and then inlaid pieces into the butterfly (that was my moment of crafting madness as it took ages, I really should have listened to what Lindsey said about her using the same technique on a card I featured in the Playground the other week). You live and learn :)
- layered the butterfly's body twice to add dimension and then stuck that in place before adding the butterfly to the edge of the aperture
For what I thought would be a quick card, this took much longer than I thought - but it was good fun to make!