Tuesday 25 October 2016

Upcycled Christmas Tree card - Rudolph Days Challenge October 2016

It's time for Mo's Rudolph Days Challenge for October - it runs from today until the end of the month. And, there's only one more left after this one until the real countdown begins!

The basis for this card was lurking in my box of saved Christmas cards, and I think it's been hiding there for a few years now. A really quick and easy card, and my entry for Mo's challenge:
I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" cream card blank

- I made the card blank from a 6" square card and used the largest die in the Lil' Inkers 'Stitched Rectangles' set of dies to emboss the stitched outline before cutting it down to size. It's easy to do this, it only embosses the stitched outline and doesn't cut a rectangle like the other dies in the set - really useful too. So long as you remember to butt the die right up against the spine of the card - then you just need to trim the other sides to suit

- the Christmas tree image from a small Christmas card, just trimmed in proportion to the card blank I intended to add it onto

- glued the image onto a slightly larger snippet of deep red satin mirri card, left on the desk from the Hunkydory cards I made

- then glued the completed two-layer panel to the card front - no sentiment needed of course

Done! The camera does tell porkies though as in real life the cream colours on the topper and the card blank are identical.

I only made one card of course, haven't managed to train friends who send us some beautiful shop bought cards to make sure they all send the same designs - or at least lots of three the same :)





28 comments:

  1. Super duper card Miss. The tree topper looks perfect with the red mirror card behind.
    I reckon these shop bought cards look a lot better once we have gotten out mitts on them! Have made my card but waiting till the morning to take a photo. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you - just think what shop bought cards would look like if we crafters were left in charge! (And what they would cost LOL).
      Jane

      Delete
  2. What a cutie this one is . Thank you so much for joining us at the Rudolph day Challenge!
    Rudolph Days Challenge DT
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great upcycle Di... a very elegant card. I did laugh re you not being able to make 3 cards this time...LOL! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute card :) i love the simplicity of the design and all the words in the christmas tree. lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card Di, great up-cycling.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super card Di, fabulous upcycling of that lovely tree xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty Di is your card l like to see recycled cards and you have done an amazing job on this one xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great bit of upcycling using this pretty Christmas tree Di. I really must up production of my cards soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent bit of upcycling Di, and thanks ever so for your kind comment already received!
    Love these stamps and papers I used for my GDT card, so appreciate your kindness there, too! Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recycling Di. A lovely festive card. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fabulous card and great upcycling. My mum and sister also save me their cards for upcycling so I do have some duplicates in my box for batch cardmaking!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great piece (I nearly wrote "peace") of upcycling there! Super card
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great design for your upcycled tree, Di! I agree with you and will be mentioning my needs to a couple of my friends who send me outrageously gorgeous store-bought cards. "Could I have 50 of them, please?" Well? I mean, if they can afford to buy boxes of these expensive cards, what's another 50 to them, right? No? People just aren't the givers they once were . . .. I hope Parsnip's Halloween prep is coming along smashinglingadingly and that you are feeling lots better!! Hugs, Darnell xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Di,
    what a very great design card, and I love all the wording on your Christmas tree.
    Happy Rudolf Day.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant piece of festive upcycling Di.
    Happy Rudolph Day my friend.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice and classy. I like that mirror red layer. It adds some zing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recycling, this tree is so colourful and festive! Love the embossed stitching, so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the wordy little Christmas tree Di, very nicely upcycled too.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Di!
    This card is so beautiful and makes me happy!
    Love this card! Thank you so much for joining us at Rudolph days challenge this month!
    Gloria x

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great entry into the Rudolph Challenge. Made me laugh getting your friends to send the same cards!I got the acetate yesterday - you are a star. Only got to the PO yesterday so yours is on the way L x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recycling! Super image. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely card, love the little bird on top of the tree

    ReplyDelete
  23. so lovely, I adore bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a wonderful & colorful recycle and I love this tiny word tree. Looks so good with the cream, red & white mats. (of course the tiny red critter at the top of tree caught my eye immediately.) As I looked at the tree, it looks as though you've done some cut-outs with the mats, as the tree looks very dimensional (I don't mean just popped up). Good job on this one. You & Mrs A must be channeling each other with the recycling! TFS & Hugs. Hello to Mr. L & Mr. P also. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful card Di. I love the words in the shape of the tree. Sorry I am so late for commenting but thanks for playing along with the Rudolph Days challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used his herbal remedy to cure herpes Thank you Robinsonbuckler11 (gmail) com............. .................................

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.