Wednesday 12 October 2016

Merry Monday #217 - Retro/Vintage

The current challenge over at Merry Monday is 'Retro/Vintage'. Sorry, yet another Christmas card! Mr Mojo went for a walk so am trying to just plod on as best as possible and the one thing I never tire of is making Christmas cards.

Not being being able to sit for too long I didn't really want to make a Vintage card for Merry Monday, with all the extras that might entail as I always think of Vintage as needing 'frou frous' and such :)

So I went for a Retro look instead - I love the mix of the skyscrapers and the old fashioned street lamp - a bit like leaving Central Park in New York:
 I used:

- A6 black card blank (to pick out the black in the image I used). The black card was bought at Coventry (with loads of other packs of colours!) and is really sturdy stuff. Sadly only available at shows right now, sigh

- snippet of SU's 'More Mustard' card stock as the next layer, topped with a layer of very, very slightly patterned cream paper from the First Edition 'Gilded Winter' paper pad - again to pick out colours in the image

- the image is a Penny Black Stickeroo from their 'Serene Season' sheet. I'd already seen this image glaring at me for months and kept dismissing it - how blinkered! Mounted the image onto white card first to hand trim it as (unusually, as PB are so tiptop in their products) there was a very narrow white border at the bottom edge. Trimmed that down then mounted it onto a piece of SU's 'More Mustard card

- glued the mounted image in place on the card front, with equal borders top and both sides

- final stage, it used to be risky but not with the Misti! Hey, I just came up with a new slogan!! I just copyrighted it as well so hands off!! I stamped the sentiment using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from the Inkylicious 'Seasons Greetings' stamp set - LOVE this stamp set

And, another one for the box!

I keep saying this, but my advice is to never, ever try and stick a Stickeroo straight onto a card blank- always mount it first onto card and then trim it - trust me, I learned the hard way a long time ago.

I know exactly who this card will be sent to. A friend just celebrated a special Birthday and she went, plus husband and family, on a trip to New York. Just like I was on my first trip to the Big Apple, she was totally blown away by the sheer enormity, height, buzz etc. of NY and I think she'll like this card :)

 



29 comments:

  1. This is how I would imagine NY to look. I haven't been there but would love to go some day. Really complementary colours you have used for layering Di and the sentiment is a beauty. I must get on with my Christmas cards soon as I always tend to leave them to the last minute. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pat, it really is such an experience. If you check out Barbara Gray's blog, she's just returned from another trip there and has some wonderful photos.

      Hugs

      Di xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful card, Di. Like Pat, I've never been to New York, but I'm determined to get there one day.
    I'm getting there with my Christmas cards, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and with a 10 hour craft day in a village hall with friends on Saturday, I hope to get quite a few more made. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite cards, Di! Wonderful use of the Stickeroo! PS--I don't have Glamour Dust, but the Elizabeth Craft glitter turns super sparkly & smooth after you burnish it--really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking Christmas card mate. Really love it! Very classy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Di - I didn't realise it was a Stickeroo, I thought when I first saw it you'd spent ages stamping and inking. It's really lovely!
    And I've been to New York several times because my daughter used to live there. In fact she got married there - twice within six months and to the same man each time, but that's a long story!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really romantic scene and card Di. Long time since was there, although eldest daughter going nets week again, not that she will have too much fun with 50 teenagers in tow - school trip.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely touch of romance in the stickeroo Di love the mats you chose, lovely card

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great card using a wonderful image, thanks for the tip about the stickeroos! I still chicken out of stamping sentiments direct (might NEED a Misti).

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful card Di, I love the images you've used. Before I had read what had put about this card, my first thoughts were New York.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous card Di - love the image.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh wow Di .....spot on with this card is gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, Di. Love it.
    Hugs,
    Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this card Di. Holiday cards seem to default to quaint country scenes, but I have fond memories of Christmas in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE it - just my kind of card. Not sure I've seen that stickeroo before. I do have a Sheena stamp on a similar theme sitting waiting to be used though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another lovely card for Christmas Di, you're doing well!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgous card, Di!! Love this scene! I have never seen NY, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely card Di. What a lovely image. It reminds me of a Christmas film. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a real beauty Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good advice for sticking the stickeroo. I have very limited experience with them but I remember that as an issue. This is a fabulous card and very retro. I was wondering if "vintage" counted if I used really, really, really old stash. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this gorgeous card! The image is beautiful. I have never tried a stickeroo, but if I do, I will remember your advice! I am loving your Misti catch phrase! Perfect and so true! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful scene, Di! It makes me want to sing Christmas Carols!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am totally swooning over this - what an amazing card! Just the perfect winter scene!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely love this, it is so different, and like you say like leaving Central Park, or one of those old gardens in central London. Awesome! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this card, Di... you've chosen a beautiful image to work with. X

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never been to Central Park but I can imagine it now because of your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really love your card Diane, super stickeroo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Contact him for herpes cure, Robinsonbuckler11 [@] gmail com……………................

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.